True story: I’ve decided that quiet just might be my favorite antidote to grief / processing / working through stuff. However, I still think about blogging all the time, even if I don’t actually follow through with it. So, in the interest of leaving no inconsequential stone unturned, I thought I’d make a quick list of various interests / obsessions / delights that have provided some happiness and dare I say wonder during this quiet-y phase (and, to be clear, that continue to be rays of light and sunshine).
I’d hate if we weren’t caught up on these things, you understand.
All righty. In no particular order.
– I am a certified, bonafide convert to Walmart’s grocery pick-up service, which is basically genius and life-changing (still getting my meat from Fresh Market, though…can’t beat their $2.99 Tuesdays). It’s a free service ($35 minimum order, though) and there is zero mark-up on grocery items. You just make an appointment, select all your groceries online or on the app, then show up at your scheduled time for pick-up. Basically all you do at pick-up is pop open your trunk, and a very kind Walmart team member will load your groceries in your car. THIS IS ALL I HAVE EVER WANTED IN LIFE.
– Mississippi State baseball – This is no different than any spring, really. Weekend before last Brent Rooker hit three home runs in one game and I talked about it for two days. As you do.
– And speaking of Mississippi State…
— MSU W. Basketball (@HailStateWBK) April 2, 2017
…our women’s basketball team’s defeat of UConn and the national championship game against South Carolina? BE STILL, MY BULLDOG HEART. So proud. I’ll never get over it.
To be clear, I do not run.
But I’ve been walking a lot. And these shoes are the best I’ve ever had. They’ve been in heavy rotation for almost a year, so it’s time to replace them – and do you know what I ordered? Some more Brooks Ghost 9s. Identical to my old ones. They’re fantastic. I’ve always had trouble with running shoes making my feet feel really confined, so with these Brooks I finally ordered a wide width, and LO, THE HEAVENS OPENED AND BLESSINGS POURED FORTH. What I love about these particular Brooks is that they’re really supportive – my feet NEVER hurt – but they’re also bouncy. I like some spring in my step.
– I’ve been catching up on all sorts of podcasts. One of my most recent favorites is Up and Vanished, which (after listening to about six episodes in a row) left me so scared in my Hopkinsville, Kentucky hotel room that I thought about sleeping with the lights on. I was seconds away from stepping around a corner in a full-on Charlie’s Angels circa-2000 pose.
Also, if you enjoy pop culture and you’re not listening to The Popcast with Knox & Jamie, you should be. For starters, try Episode 188; it is so stinkin’ clever.
– On my last birthday David gave me a Fitbit Charge 2, and at first I was like, OH LOOK, A WATCH. I mean, I’d wanted a Fitbit, but after I got one I didn’t really know what to do with it. However, it seemed to tell time beautifully. Now, though, it has basically become my personal, grown-up version of a pre-schooler’s star chart (I LIVE for the confetti pop when my active minutes reach a certain level). I like for it to beep at me and remind me to get up from my desk and then celebrate with me when I reach 10,000 steps.
How sad is this, by the way?
It was last week. If I’d only checked my steps before I got in the bed, I could have avoided this particular brand of heartbreak.
– Coffee – Basically I’ve never loved it more. Basically I crave it all the time. Basically I want to drink some right now even though it’s 9 o’clock at night and I try not to drink anything with caffeine after 3-ish. And yes, I know there’s decaf, but I’m not a fan. Mainly because I miss that thing you call flavor. (If there’s a decaf K-cup you really love, please let me know!)
– LuLaRoe Irma tops – They are LIKE BUTTER, I tell you. I also love that they’re longer in the back than in the front, and, as my mama would say, they launder beautifully (I wash mine in cold and then hang to dry). Highly recommend.
– Sakura Pigma Graphic 1 pen – Y’all know that I love a good pen. The Pentel Sign Pen is still my all-time favorite, but there’s a new 2nd place contender. If you like a good felt-tip pen, I think you’ll be a fan. STRONG WORDS, I know.
Hope y’all are having a great week so far!