Idol Re-Cap: 10 Female Finalists

I thought I was going to be TV superwoman tonight and cover AI and The Amazing Race before I went to bed, but that is THREE and ONE HALF HOURS of television, so the Race will have to wait until tomorrow.

By the way, I’m blogging as I watch AI – I love me a laptop.

Katharine McPhee – Gorgeous, rich voice…but I think she needs to do something more up-tempo. This week was too much like last week’s “Since I Fell For You.” What I do like so much about her is that she’s subtle…not trying to win a screaming contest. Most puzzling? Her wardrobe – pedal pushers and a maternity-ish top.
Kinnik Sky – Odd choice of a Gretchen Wilson song – plus, she still sounds like a Miss Florida contestant. I think the most telling detail is that she’d been singing for about 30 seconds when I asked David, “What’s her name again?” She just looked like someone who was out for a night at the karaoke bar. Excellent call by Simon that it was “a theme park performance.”
Lisa Tucker – Gosh she’s poised for a 16 year old. I guess my problem is that I can’t stand the kind of song she sang (I am not, in general, a fan of R&B unless Ike and Tina are involved). In terms of performance, she seemed decidedly average.
Melissa McGhee – Much to my surprise, though she’s not great, she’s the best of the first four tonight. I think the sassy Reba tune suited her. (I’m listening to Randy right now, who seems to agree with me). All that being said, she seems more like a lounge singer than a star. (By the way, David and I are sick of Paula interrupting Simon all the time. It’s rude.)
Heather Cox – Mariah Carey’s “Hero.” Her performance would be perfect for the end-of-year show choir showcase at your local high school. I’m a little puzzled as to why she’s even in this competition. She’s not a very, um, strong singer. Next to go, I predict. (Hey, they’ve split up Paula and Simon – literally changed Paula’s seat.)
Brenna Gether – I hate hate hate the song “Last Dance.” HATE IT. Couple that with the fact that the person singing it tonight is terribly unlikeable (but yet seems to think she’s funny), and I’m bored before she even starts to sing. She does sound better than last week, but she’s just so incredibly unpleasant that I’m ready for her to leave.
Paris Bennett – “Wind Beneath My Wings”?!?!? So very Beaches of her. Y’all, this song is not just tired – it’s exhausted, and someone needs to put it out of its misery. So I really don’t care how Paris sounds (which is just “aight,” for the record), because I DESPISE THIS SONG WITH EVERYTHING IN ME. WHY OH WHY would someone voluntarily sing it? (As it turns out, because her great-grandmother likes it – which speaks volumes. Volumes.)
Ayla Brown – Okay, she’s a little too earnest for me. She’s singing some Celine Dion song, but I don’t care, because once again – SHOW CHOIR. The song is called “I Want You To Need Me” – and David just said it best: “Well, we don’t, Ayla.”
Kellie (Dawn) Pickler – “Let’s Give Them Something To Talk About” – perfect song for her. Sort of country, lots of attitude. First person all night who has made my foot tap a little bit. I said it last week – she’s just so easy to like that it makes you root for her. She’s about THIS big – adorable. Her hair is really cute, too. I like her. I’ve decided that she’s a Southern Elle Woods. “Pick Pickler,” y’all. “Pick Pickler!”
Mandisa – “Cry” by Faith Hill – and girl, she gave it some ATT-I-TUDE. I love that it doesn’t sound like Faith’s version – it sounds sassier and earthier. Best of the night – no doubt about it. I LOVE HER.

All in all – a disappointing night. I felt like I was watching a talent show on a cruise ship – nobody came across as a legitimate performer, except maybe Mandisa. Hope the guys fare better tomorrow night.

Should go: Heather Cox and Brenna Gether
Will go: Heather Cox and Kinnik Sky
Wednesday night: Guys’ top 10 – go, Taylor!

Comments

1. Merritt says:

Don’t know this stuff, but hurry up and do TAR b/c I did get to watch the whole thing (since it didn’t start until 8) and I need to be able to comment before I forget everything.

2. Merritt says:

I don’t know how that smiley face got in there – I was trying to do the number 8. Sorry, but if it made you smile, then great!

3. With the exception of Mandisa, I found the whole show weak…..weak as water!

Please let tonight be better!

4. BooMama says:

Merritt –
    I haven’t watched TAR yet – we didn’t start AI until 9:30, so it was too late afterward. All I’ve seen are the intros. SO, it’ll probably be tonight before I can get that done. Sorry. :-( BUT, I already know that I am going to be highly entertained by the two guys who were childhood friends and one of them is afraid to fly – he reminds me of Stuart Smalley on SNL (“Because you’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and doggone it, people like you”). :-)

5. BooMama says:

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the nerds on TAR.

6. But as far as Idol, blah. And I am glad that Simon got them to move Paula. She is seriously out of control. I find it ironic that she thinks he is rude, yet he never interrupts her even when someone should. But Paula, won’t let him finish a sentence without saying something stupid or, best yet, hitting him. Then, she encourages people to “Boo” him. So tell me, who is the rude one?

As far as the contestants, I read the post this morning and was surprised that I could hardly remember any of them. Not a strong group of girls and they have NO IDEA how to pick songs. This is with the possible exception of Pick-Pickler. She is so unjaded that she seems happy just to be able to get out there and sing. Just my opinion.

7. t-riels says:

WHO IS MELISSA COX? YOU HAVE HER LISTED TO LEAVE TONIGHT. HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING OR SOMEBODY? PLEASE DON’T KILL ME BUT KELLIE PICKLER GETS ON MY LAST NERVE. I THINK SHE IS TAKING THE BLONDE THING A LITTLE TOO FAR. THE WHOLE CALAMARI AND THE SPINACH SALAD THING. I LIKE KATHERINE MCPHEE!!! I KNOW THE GIRL FROM H’BURG ON THE AMAZING RACE. I THINK HER NAME WAS MICHELLE WILKIRSON. ELISE DO YOU KNOW?

8. t-riels says:

OH AND BOODADDY, KIRK CAN’T STAND PAULA. HE HAS 3 PEOPLE IN SHOW BUSINESS THAT HE CAN’T DEAL WITH AND PAULA IS ONE OF THEM. THE OTHER TWO ARE KATHIE LEE GIFFORD AND MARIAH CAREY.

9. You’re right t, it’s Heather Cox and she definitely forgettable. I agree with Boo about Pickler and Mandisa. Paula is actually the one who traded spots with Randy. She wasn’t asked she just did it. I think they really love each other — their whole love/hate thing is for the show.Looking much more forward to Taylor, Ace, and my little Kevin!!!

10. Sorry, T – I had to ask D. about six times, “What’s her name again?” Which really says a lot about how memorable she is. I changed the should go / will go to the right name. Melissa / Heather / Whatever. :-)

11. I freakin’ love Mandisa.

EK, Paula’s love for Simon is so transparent that last night, Davis (5 years old) said, “Mom, that girl (Paula) likes that boy (Simon).”

Why, why, why would someone let Paris sing “Wind Beneath My Wings.” BooMama is right; it is so, so tired.

Katharine is very good, but I’m a little scared that since she performed first and wasn’t really a stand-out people might have forgotten to vote for her.

And, I really want to believe that Kellie Pickler is as naive and simple (in a good way) as she makes out to be–I really, really do. I’m not going to be cynical and go into the whole “I’ve never had spinich salad; it’s like pulling leaves off a bush” (paraphrased) and “cal-a-ma-ray” thing.

Merritt, you’ve got to get on the AI train.

12. A funny take on last night:

13. Merritt says:

T-
    I think (well, I’m almost 99% sure) that the guy from H’burg, Lake, was once a teacher of mine at Hinds CC when I was going through that “I want to go to nursing school” phase. That’s got to be the same guy b/c his name was Lake and he was in dental school and he was married with at least one kid at the time.

14. Like all of y’all, I’m worried people aren’t going to vote for Katharine (Merritt, would you PLEASE watch this show?). Daph, check with me in two weeks to see if Pickler is on my nerves yet. :-)

Mandisa rocks.

BooMama OUT.

15. Merritt – Everytime I see the first comment with the smiley face sunglasses guy, I crack up, because I can’t think of anything that is LESS YOU than a smiley face with sunglasses on it. Daph, T., Liz, etc. – look at it right now – I promise you’ll die laughing if you think of Merritt being behind it.

16. *Yawn*

17. Tears are rolling down my face right now!

18. 8) 8) 8)