Number Ten

Yesterday, in a fit of anniversary-eve sentimentality, I thumbed through my wedding photo album. It’s hard to believe that a full decade has passed since D. and I said “I do” on a Saturday morning when I was certain that no one would show up at the church for the ceremony because of the torrential rain pouring from the nearly-black skies.

It wasn’t the weather of a bride’s dreams, really.

But apparently the bad weather didn’t dampen our spirits. Because looking at our wedding album is like looking at photos from some sort of Goofy Smile Extravaganza. It was a great, happy day.

And you know, ten years later, I think that if I could say anything to the girl in my wedding pictures (the girl who is, of course, me), it would be, “Ya done good, sister.”

Also: “What’s going on with your bangs?”

Not to mention: “There’s a little boy coming your way in about six years. He will absolutely melt your heart and take your breath away. You will wonder how you ever lived without him, even though right now you think nothing could possibly make you happier than watching a marathon of Friends episodes.”

And finally: “The next ten years will make you laugh and cry and smile and hurt and laugh some more. The next ten years will stretch your faith and build your character and multiply your joy. There will be days when you love your husband with the force of all nature, and there will be days when you wonder what the two of you ever saw in each other.

And on every single one of those days – good, bad, or somewhere in between – God will be working in ways you can’t even imagine. And ten years from today, you will look back on your life together, and you will be beyond grateful for God’s faithfulness through the mountaintops and the valleys. You will be so glad that you’ve walked through all of it together.

And you will be thankful.”

I am. So thankful.

Happy 10th Anniversary, D.

I love you!

Comments

1. Wow – what a wonderful tribute!

And with that perspective the decade ahead promises to be even better.

Happy Anniversary!

2. may is a good time for weddings. we just celebrated our 17th on the 26th. hope you have a wonderful day.

3. Happy 10th Anniversay! Enjoy celebrating your special day. :)

4. Happy Anniversary! I Enjoy reading your blog.

5. Happiest of Anniversaries to two wunnerful, wunnerful folks!

6. If I could attach something for you on this here little comment, it would be the file containing the time-honored rendition of The Flintstones singing the Happy Anniversary Song.

Consider it attached.

Even though, you know, you have to IMAGINE it and all….

7. Congrats!

8. Happy 10th anniversary, BooMama. I hope the next 50 years are even happier.

Y’all have a grand time in the land of mouse celebrating. :-) And be safe.

Love and hugs,

Diane

9. Congrats!

10. Happy Anniversary! And have a great time in mouse land.

11. Happy Anniversary! What a lovely way to “sum up” the years of marriage. It’s amazing the way God can use our trials and troubles for His glory. Even if we can’t see His hand in our situations while we stand in the midst of the mire and grime, we know He is faithful and real and LOVES us.

Thanks for sharing. Do we get a picture? Gotta see those bangs. :)

12. Happy Tenth! Beautifully said, Boo. And it only gets better; we’re on year 18 and more in love than ever. Keep up the great work!

13. Happy 10 year anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful day!

14. Boomama and D

Congratulations on 10 years. Here’s to a great holiday and many, many more wonderful years together.

15. Happy Anniversary!

16. I, too, would love to see a wedding day picture of yours! Please??

17. Happy Annivesary. Ten years is certainly a milestone. God is so good!

18. Beautiful! Happy ‘Versary.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

19. We just celebrated 13 years on the 28th!

Congrats, and what a lovely picture. Looks like one proud groom to me. :>)

20. Happy Anniversary! :)

21. Awwww, Happy Anniversary!

22. Happy Anniversary! The 24th of May was our 10th anniversary and boy did it rain on our day too and sadly we had planned an outdoor ceremony – it was going to be beautiful – but we had to move it to a local lodge that had lots of dead animals on the walls looking down upon our ceremony! LOL! We did of course get some pictures and added them into our photo album – they were after all guests! ( :

23. Just precious! I can totally relate to this:

“There will be days when you love your husband with the force of all nature, and there will be days when you wonder what the two of you ever saw in each other.”

Have a wonderfully joyous anniversary! Thank you for sharing that wedding picture – it’s beautiful!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

24. SO, SO sweet. Happy Anniversary!!!!

25. Happy Anniversary!

We celebrate our 9th next Wednesday!

Seriously, looks like we had the same dress. Hmmm….

26. Sweeter as the years go by…

Happy Anniversary, BooMama!

27. That was about the sweetest thing I’ve ever read! :)

28. absolutely beautiful!
    When we reached our tenth anniversary I was just shocked that I was able to say I had done anything of an adult nature for ten years. We just passed 13 (we married super young) and it was beautiful to be a success story, but tragic to be old enough to say “I’ve been married 13 years!”

29. Happy Anniversary, Boomama and D!

30. Congralations on your anniversary! We celebrated 10 years in April. It’s hard to believe that it’s been that long. We were blessed with a little boy 7 years later.

31. AWWW! Great post!! And what a beautiful photo. Would love to see it close-up, though. :-)

32. If I crane my neck and squint my eyes, I can see our twentieth around the next bend. TWO. OH. Which is strange, as I am only a nubile 23-year-old myself. What in the world was I thinking, getting married at 3?

Best wishes for many, many more anniversaries!

Your delusional friend,

Clem

PS: People tell me I live in my own little world. That’s okay. They know me here.

33. Happy Anniversary!

34. Happy Anniversary!

35. How very beautiful! I used to have a poster on our wall when we were young marrieds at Texas A&M. It said “The most beautiful sunsets are made by stomry skies.” It was said by Helen Keller. So as you guys are married 20, 30, 40 50 and so on years, may your sunset be beautiful because of that first day stormy skies.

Have a great 10th anniversary!!!!
    Love in Him,
    Holly

36. Happy anniversary!

BTW – I love your wedding gown. It’s so nice to see a gown where the shoulders are covered. I must be an old fart, but I HATE the new trend of strapless gowns. I think, in a church, that some degree of modesty should be shown. End of rant.

37. Awww you’re beautiful, I like your bangs! (I hate to even look at my wedding pics because of the hair and dresses, so count your blessings there!);)

Happy 10th Anniversary!!

38. Stephanie says:

Happy Anniversary!

39. Happy Anniversary!

40. Happy Anniversary!!

We celebrated our 9th yesterday.

41. Happy Anniversary!

Your post made me a little weepy!

42. Happy Anniversary! It rained on our Wedding Day, too, but as I was starting to get a little stressed, my hairdresser said that it is good luck if it rains on your wedding day! So, since we have been happily married for 6 years and y’all for 10, I choose to believe that! Hope y’all have a great day!

43. HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU TWO!!!!!

In general I try not to spend my special days with extra large rodents, but hey, maybe I’m just weird. Have FUN!!!!!!

44. Happy Happy Anniversary!!!! xoxo!!

45. Aw, Happy Anniversary! 10 years-that’s awesome! Have a great day!

46. hApPy 10th aNnIvErSaRy!!!! Hope you share many many more wonderful years together!!!! Have a great time on your trip!!!

47. This whole post just made me smile, it’s so beautifully expressed. Happy Anniversary BooMama and BooDaddy!

48. Happy, happy anniversary!! May God bless the two of you with many more wonderful years together!! Have a super trip!!

49. Beautifully said! Happy anniversary!

50. Sarah Kate in WA state says:

Happy 10th, BooMama and D!!! Your post made me laugh and cry all at once…. probably because our 10th is just 3 weeks away, and I could so relate to what you wrote! Have a wonderful time on your trip!!! (And for what it’s worth…airplane ride + 4 year old child + dvd player = a beautiful thing!!!)

51. 15 years ago in September (yes 15!!!) The Mighty Hunter married the Auburn Gal with laryngitis and her hair swept up on ONE SIDE!

yes, my hair was pulled back on only ONE SIDE.

And Good Golly GEE, he was handsome.

Congratulations!

52. Well said. Happy Anniversary, ya’ll! Great picture!

53. Happy Anniversary! My 9 years is this year and I agree it’s surreal!

54. precious tribute..

just be glad you weren’t married in 1990…the hair was much larger then…I don’t know what stuck out more – my perm or the touille of my veil…

Lisa

55. Happy Anniversary and congrats on this milestone! Our #10 is coming up in a month!

56. A big hearty “Congrats, y’all!!” to ya! Have a great anniversary!

57. “What’s going on with your bangs?”

On May 31, 1997, I said it. I own it. :)

Haraparo Arranorvarasararo! ;-)

58. Boomama, I’ve been lurking for a while, but had to say that this post is so lovely, and really hit home with me. Thanks for expressing it so well, and happy anniversary!!!

59. dang it that made me teary ;) Gorgeous post, beautiful pic, happy day to the two of you! xoxo melzie

60. What a sweet post. Happy Anniversary!

61. You know something is good when my cynical heart breaks reading it. What a nice post. I hope my wife, the-sour-kraut, feels the same way.

62. Jennifer says:

1997 was a GREAT year to get married!! We’ll be celebrating our 10 year anniversary in July. Congratulations!! :)

63. Happy celebrating! Rejoice and sing praises for God is good :)

64. suzanne says:

Yes, congrats to you both….and I love the tribute, even though gazillions of internets are reading it! And yes indeed, marriage does multiply the joys AND divides the sorrows! Happy many more years to come, too! Have fun living it up with Boo!

65. Happy Anniversary! Here’s to many more.

66. Happy 10th! We just celebrated ours in April! I love how you put things, what you said about ups and downs is so true. And yet, I can truly look back and think the same as you did: “You done good!” :-)

67. Mary Kat's Mom says:

Oh, BooMama! You brought a tear to this old secretary’s eye! Thank you for your heart and sharing that! My daughter is enjoying your site and because she is a writer is hopeful that one day she can be “BooMary” or something creative in her 14 year old world!
    Love ya! MC

68. Happy Anniversary!

69. Happy anniversary, you lovey June bugs!

70. One of my favorite Bible verses is Colossians 1:17, “In Him all things are held together.

A toast to you on your 10th anniversary.

Praising God with you!

71. So now thanks to His Singer, I’m humming the Flintstones “Happy Anniversary!” song. And I didn’t even know that I remembered it until just this second.

Happy Anniversary BooMama. Many blessed happy returns of the day to you and D.

72. Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our ten-year anniversary, too, on May 24! It’s been wonderful, and I can’t wait to see what the next ten years hold in store for us.

73. You iz GOR-GEOUS.:-)

74. What do you mean, “What’s up with those bangs?” Mine still look like that. Is that bad?

Happy Anniversary!

75. Happy anniversary to you and your husband! We just celebrated #12 on the 27th.

76. Happy Anni, BooMama and hubby! We’re working on 27 years–what a ride!

77. Happy Anniversary.. Our 17th is this weekend. Loved your advice to the previous you and the now you and the future you. In a world where marriage is scoffed at and often thrown away over trivial things, it’s wonderful to hear the love in your “voice” as you celebrate yours. Blessings.

78. What a sweet post! We are celebrating our 5th next week so I’m still in the phase where “Friends” marathons really do excite me :)

Happy PlaneAversary
    Happy VegasVersary
    (from Friends!)

79. Phyllis R. says:

Awwww! You made me tear up. That was so sweet. CONGRATULATIONS!

80. Happy Anniversary! Isn’t the ride of marriage a fun one? (well, most days)

My hubs and I just celebrated our 17th anniversary on the 29th. Some of them years have been L.O.N.G. but most have been some kinda wonderful. He’s definitely a keeper. Sounds like you have one to!

81. Awww. That was so sweet! Happy Anniversary! We celebrated our 3rd on the 29th, so we still have a ways to go to 10. Awesome tribute to your marriage.

82. My comment is late, but none the less Happy Anniversary! I have been a lurker and I just really wanted to tell you how much this post meant to me. I’m a newlywed (7mths) and marriage is definitely the most fun I’ve had and the hardest thing to do! I was encouraged by your insight and hope to also be there at 10 years! Have fun in California!
    Silvana

83. Happy 10 Year Anniversary to you both! I just love this post.

Oronzo and I celebrated our 4 year anniversary earlier this month and I’m ashamed to admit that I forgot to blog about it. Terrible, aren’t I?

I meant to add more pics of our wedding in Ireland (The first batch can be seen in my 5/16/06 post) but that didn’t happen.

84. Oh happy tenth BooMama and D. I’m so glad that y’all are fightin’ the good fight to stick together. It’s so worth the good and bad and in betweens.

85. Stephanie from Rhode Island says:

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our 10th anniversary May 24. We also had our first baby boy 6 years later. Like you said, marriage has it’s good moments and not so great moments but I can’t imagine it any other way. O! It was also rainy that weekend in AR. = )

Stephanie in RI

86. Happy Anniversary! This was a wonderful tribute. Thank you so much for sharing with the rest of us!