Fun Fun Fun Fun Lookin’ Forward To The Weekend*

This weekend Sister and I are going on a little road trip to Mississippi State. Our college sorority is having an anniversary celebration Saturday afternoon, and we’re attending the festivities. And we may just show up at a spring football scrimmage Saturday morning because when it comes to MSU football, we tend to err on the side of crazy. Big fun in store.

I was initially a little hesitant about going to the anniversary shindig because I’m not usually a huge fan of big reception-type events where there are a great many people wearing name tags, but then my friend Daphne put together a Saturday night dinner for folks who were at State about the same time we were, and I went from on the fence to TOTALLY ON BOARD in the span of about four seconds. Wouldn’t miss getting to sit down and visit with those sweet friends for anything in the world.

(*We we we so excited. We so excited.)

So. This morning I decided that Sister and I need a special playlist for the drive to Starkville. Even though it’s damp and gray outside, it’s still springtime. And springtime + road trip to a college town + reunion with old friends = CLEARLY WE NEED SOME SPECIAL SONGS.

I have a few songs in mind, but mostly I feel like I’m dragging the same ten songs that I always classify as “fun” into a new playlist. Maybe I’m in a road trip music rut? Maybe I’m old? Maybe I’m in a rut and I’m old?

So I need your help, interweb peoples. What are your favorite road trip songs? The decade is completely irrelevant; the only qualification, I guess, is that it has a good beat and we can dance to it. And sing along, of course.

Fire away.

Comments

1. Mike Posner, Cooler Than Me. Give it a few listens and you’ll be hooked and singing it nonstop. :)

2. Heather M in AL says:

My girlfriends and I always have KC and the Sunshine Band on the playlist for a road trip!

3. Hmm…it’s DG Founders Day this weekend…could you be a DeeGee?

4. “Home” by Marc Broussard :)

5. Anything from the Footloose soundtrack!

6. Adele, Maroon 5, and Jack Johnson.

And for a country twist – a little Josh Turner.

7. Leslie Ruth says:

“Get Out The Map” Indigo Girls

“Uncharted” Sara Bareilles

“Fire and Dynamite” Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors

“Everybody” and “You and I” Ingrid Michaelson

“DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” Usher

Those are my road trip go-to songs these days :) Hope y’all have a fun trip!

8. You mean besides “Shades” and the one about the hips that sank the ships?!
    For such an occasion, I would try to remember the rush skit songs we used. (Burned in my brain are Lollipop Lollipop, Kiss (don’t ask), and YMCA (memorably reworked in to “I’m really working on My-G-P-A”). And songs that we loved then. (They only got better with the introduction of Wannabe by the Spice Girls later when I was an advisor. Lord, I am OLD. That was when I was an ADVISOR and I know some of your readers were toddlers when that was popular.)
    LICO! Please share pictures. I have the feeling our experiences were totally different except the parts where they were totally the same. :) Don’t forget the cowbell!

9. Anything by Dave Matthews Band…”Ants Marching” “Best of What’s Around” fantastic

The entire Counting Crows CD August and Everything After “Mr. Jones” “Anna Begins” “Rain King”

Tacey Chapman “Fast Car”

Allanis Morissett her Jagged Little Pill Albumn is just so fun.

I’ve been groving to Otis Redding’s Greatest Hits lately because I’m so hip like that and “These Arms of Mine” always takes me back to Dirty Dancing where Baby is getting ready to make some racy decisions. Ahh, the good ol’ days!

That’s all I got right now. Have a wonderful time! Drive carefully!

10. Love Shack is a personal favorite. Plus some hair bands thrown in for good measure. Might I recommend You Give Love a Bad Name and Paradise City? Oh, and you mustn’t forget Baby Got Back. Now THAT’S a well-rounded playlist.

11. Have fun and drive safely!

The first thing to pop in my mind was “Walking on Sunshine”! It has the best beat to drive to.

And then I thought of this on: “I Get Knocked Down”. (Not saying I like the lyrics of the verses.) We drove two cars to take some young people to the zoo. On the interstate I looked in my rearview mirror and the car behind me was literally bouncing up and down. The kids in my car knew what was going on and turned the radio until they found the station that was playing this song. I’ll bet the other drivers must have thought we really needed new shocks!

12. Price Tag-Jessie J
    Yeah Yeah-Matt and Kim
    Daylight-Matt and Kim
    Marry You-Bruno Mars (references to alcohol, FYI)
    Life is Water-Sim Redmond Band (locals for me!)
    Forget You-either Cee Lo or the Glee version. The other version is a bit more…intense…..

and of course… “Single Ladies” by Ms. Beyonce

Have a wonderful trip!!

-A

Enjoy!!

13. The best part about playlist ideas is submitting it a day too late…hope it was fun!

14. March does not equal May. Now I’m just embarrassed….

15. Winter winds by mumford and sons. The whole album is good, but some other songs have bad words. I am pretty sure this one is completely clean.

16. I don’t have a song, but since you posted “Friday” you must watch this video our student ministry did as a parody of Friday. It is called “Sunday” and is oh so funny!

17. A newer one you’ll love: The Weepies, “I Was Made for Sunny Days.”

18. Doobie Brothers
    Van Halen
    Eagles

19. @Mere – I was wondering the same thing! Are you a DG?

20. “Suspicious Minds” by Fine Young Cannibals (has one of the best bass lines ever!!!)

“I Drove All Night” by BANDIDO or Cyndi Lauper or Celine Dion or Roy Orbison

“Bad Case of Loving You” by Robert Palmer

“I Want You To Want Me” by Cheap Trick

21. King of Anything – Sara Bareilles
    Say Hey – Michael Franti
    Faith – George Michael
    I’d have to have SOMETHING by James Taylor & Carolina in My Mind is one of my go to road trip songs
    And something by John Mellencamp (Hurt So Good, The Authority Song & R.O.C.K. in the USA are favorites)
    & two songs I associate with baseball: Sweet Caroline & John Denver’s Thank God I’m a Country Boy
    Have fun & be safe! & add some Dave Barnes and Jack Johnson

22. Check out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. They are awesome! Fun to listen to, fun to see live, they just put me in a spring/summer mood whenever I listen to them! I don’t remember their website off hand, maybe azpeacemakers.com, but you can google them for more info. Fun times ahead!

23. We’re just odd in our car.
    “Center Field” – CCR
    “Every Day” – James Taylor
    “All I Want For Christmas is You” – Vince Vance and the Valiants
    nearly anything by Peter Noone and Herman’s Hermits

24. Amy in PA says:

“Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins from the Top Gun soundtrack – perfect for getting you through the long boring highway parts of any road trip!

25. Amos Lee’s (“Sweet Pea…apple of my eye..”) new album is all good but I particualry like Cup of Sorrow – soulful, like an old hymn, but not.

26. Can’t sit still when I hear Francesca Battistelli’s “This is the Stuff.”

27. @AmyinPA is right on track as is @Libby!! We Got the Beat by the Go Go’s, 1999 by Prince, Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard, I Got A Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas.

28. We always play
    Jackson – Johnny and June Carter Cash
    It’s a sunshine day – the Brady Bunch [ don’t laugh – it is so kicky !!!]

29. Casey A. says:

Bill Withers–“Lovely Day”. ‘Nuff said.

30. Shakira?!? (that soccer world cup song) I know I am just too helpful, here.

31. Got to have some “I Can’t Drive 55” by Sammy Hagar.
    Oh, and some AC/DC “You Shook me all night long”

Then I usually throw in some Michael Jackson “PYT”, Kool & the Gang, Gap Band…..I really “mix” up my mix.

32. WOW! looking at all of these comments makes me want to dance and pack up for a road trip to the A-day game in Auburn in two weeks!
    Sorry- I know it is the wrong school, but I love my tigers!
    My sister and I would be listening to the Indigo Girls 1200 curfews and dancing and singing and even harmonizing ( or pretending to!) Hope it is a BLAST!

33. Emily Massey says:

What about “She’s got hair of gold and her eyes are blue and her cheeks are rosy too…” Can’t WAIT to see you!!!

34. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper
    Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey
    The Beatles “1” album
    Michael Jackson’s greatest hits
    Ricky Martin’s “Living La Vida Loca”
    Walkin’ On Sunshine” by Kristia and the Waves
    The “Footloose” soundtrack

Have fun! :)

35. Kimberly says:

What? You’re not gonna talk the whole way? One of the funniest lines from your friend Melanie’s blog was something like *Someone asked what type of music we listen to while on a road trip…Bless your heart for thinking we quit talking long enough to listen to music* I laughed and laughed…so true for girlfriends…and for sisters! Have lots of fun!!!

36. I am so bummed that I can’t go this weekend. Even if I had planned to go from the beginning, one of the boys is sick and clinging to my side as I type. I hope everyone has fun!

37. Well, I must say this makes me a little jealous. Cause I’d love to be there hugging some of those necks, especially yours!! Although I wasn’t a Chi-O, there were times my freshman year when I felt like one…living on the basement floor of McKee hall with some of the sweetest ones made it a challenge for me. You wanna talk about being on the fence? That whole rush thing about did me in! Please give sweet Emily a hug for me…I haven’t seen her in years, and I saw on FB that she’ll be there. I just visited with EK the other night and loved on her, but tell her and sweet Molly “hello,” too. Y’all have a blast!!

38. Anne Riley says:

“New Shoes” by Paolo Nutini :)

39. “Long Way There” by the Little River Band (that was in the ’70s)
    “Road Song” by Fernando Ortega
    “Traveler” by Fernando Ortega

It is more than just the words of these songs – there is something about the music that feels like a long time in the car.

40. Molly p says:

Road trips with sisters are the best. Just finished one with mine last weekend! We listened to…bulletproof by laroux, mr. jones by counting crows , rolling in the deep by adele, bobby mcgee by janis..just to name a few. We are switching towns this weekend: you heading to starkville and im headed to bham on sunday. Hoping some chuys is involved!

41. ANYTHING off of the John Mayer “Room for Squares” Album !!

42. I know. I know. I’m too late but here are a few of my favorites:

Robert Palmer’s Greatest Hits (Awesome!) —Addicted to Love, Simply Irresistible, Respect Yourself——-CRANK IT UP!!!
    Fat Bottom Girls by Queen (my anthem :)
    Chicago’s Greatest Hits

I hope that you girls have a blast this weekend!

43. Anything Celine Dion.

Also, Dynamite by Taio Cruz and Hey Soul Sister by Train. :)

44. “On the Road Again” — Willie Nelson ….

45. well, another reason i am so so m ad that i didn’t go back for the reunion……i had a prior committment & it was KILLING me not to make the trip to starkville – would have loved to have met you & hear it was great!