Checking In

Yesterday I flew to Lincoln, Nebraska, so I’ll be doing lots of blogging here this weekend. Feel free to stop by early and often. Or, you know, once. Whatever suits your fancy.

Also.

I know that it’s not exactly a surprise, but nobody here sounds like I do. It makes me feel like my Southern accent is some sort of foghorn. I say words, and people hear this:

I may need to enlist the services of an interpreter so that I can communicate with others more effectively. I can’t blame people for not being able to understand me; after all, I say things like “foel” instead of “foil,” “windah” instead of “window,” “Fridee” instead of “Friday.” I’m a strange-talking visitor in the land of straight-talking midwesterners.

But.

Last night I was in the hotel lobby when I saw a guy wearing an Ole Miss cap. He was with a pretty large group of people, and when we were waiting for the elevator, I said, “Do you go to Ole Miss?”

He grinned and said, “Yes ma’am, I do.”

I said, “Well. I went to Mississippi State.”

And everybody in his group died laughing. They totally understood the rivalry. Turns out that they live in Memphis, and for just a split second, everything sounded like home.

Have a great weekend, y’all!
____________________________________________
Don’t forget to enter the Samsung Power Foam sweepstakes; the prize is a $100 Best Buy gift card.

Comments

1. You’re not too far from me this weekend! (I’m an Iowa gal). I bet your accent is just darling. Even if no one can understand it. :)

2. Michelle E says:

What I loved best about this story is that he answered “Yes, MA’AM.”

As for survival in Nebraska, just make a passing comment about “Go Huskers” and everyone will understand and proceed to think your accent is endearing! Have a lovely weekend with the Lord and Beth and loads of ladies!

3. I am a Cajun girl…I know the feeling! Geaux LSU (don’t hate)! Love your blog!

4. Oh, it is definitely a Southern thing! I’m a UGA grad and you can bet there is no orange/blue allowed in my house or on my babies. In all Southern respect, I always offer… “well, we won’t hold that against you” when meeting a rival alumni!

5. May you feel at peace and at home in the foreign fields.

6. I used to live in Lincoln NE. I’ve always wondered why/how people ended up there, in the middle of nowhere :)
    If your bored at some point you should go to the Capitol building, it’s absolutely beautiful inside (I used to work there) and it’s a great way to kill an hour.

7. I feel your pain, BooMama.

I was a North Carolina girl all my life until I got married six years ago and we moved out to the Cornfields of the Midwest for his work. One of our first errands upon moving was going out in search of, among other things, a fly swatter.

We couldn’t find said fly swatter, so we had to ask employees, who proceeded to stare at us like we were aliens that had descended upon their store. We even tried using hand gestures to demonstrate what a fly swatter WAS.

I should have known then . . . it was only a pre-amble to our future experiences here. It took a LONG time to get used to their not holding doors for everyone! People here just do NOT know how to act when husband holds the door . . . they skitter and give us crazycruise looks.

Whew, sorry, got off on a tangent — I just identify with the Foghorn response!!

8. (Whoops. “Preamble”, no dash. English major fail.)

9. Totally feel you on the accent. An Alabama girl myself, I visited New Jersey a few years ago for a wedding. I was a bit like the sideshow at the fair. The staff at the hotel were just….I don’t know how to describe it…..intrigued, maybe, by a Southern accent!

10. You need to head on to Omaha. Lotsa Texas folks there (Union Pacific railroad) who will eat up your accent and make you feel right at home. I guess that was one thing I loved about our church when we lived there. We had plenty of southern accents around.

11. You are in the homeland of my dear husband! If you are in the market for some local fast food fare–a Runza is a once in a lifetime experience. Oh, and you must order it with some “frings”–fries and onion rings. I’m telling you–very interesting! Have a fantastic weekend!

12. I feel your pain.
    I grew up in Starkville, MS.
    I now live in Nashville, TN and EVERYONE thinks I have a funny accent.
    Nashville? Home of country music?! I find it so crazy!
    I have friends that live here from the North who say they will not be my friend anymore if I ever lose my accent. So I’ll keep it and I try to get a good dose of it when I go home for visits.

I went to Mississippi State too and anytime I see someone with a hat or shirt or car tag from one of the schools in MS I have to stop them and ask about it … just to get a little slice of home for a second.

I say being a Southern Belle is the greatest thing a lady can be. :)

13. It’s nice to know you can carry your rivalry with you wherever go ; )

14. I am so glad you get to be at Beth’s conference!! And I love your comments about not being understood. I was going to tell you that there are 4 sisters & their mom that are at the conference to be greeters (the Smith girls…..except they’re all married now)….anyway, they are from Little Rock, AR!! So, you would feel right at home talking with them. I’m sure they won’t be hard to find……Shannon, Heather, Marci, Hannah & mom Jane Anne (& dad is there too…..he is also precious!). Just listen for them & you’re sure to recognize them!!

Have a wonderful time…….can’t wait to read your posts!

15. Being from the panhandle of Texas, people think I sound like Laura Bush. I do. For me, I love the sound of a true Southern accent. It is one of the most comforting sounds I can think of. Nothing riles me more than when actresses and actors have a phony, over the top southern accent.

16. I bet you say Miss-ippi. Just a guess.

17. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I love it because your joy has an extra syllable. And that gives me even greater jo-wee.

18. Oh my Lord and Butter. When we were in China ( yep, the one in Asia) with baby sister Pat E ( who was adopting my precious and smart niece, Stella Frances), I opened a dish on the buffet and said in my perfectly fine Southern voice,” For a minute there I thought that was grits.” Well, from across the room here comes a fella with a BAMA tshirt on and he wanted to know where we were from and just what was there that looked like grits!! In China, mind you. Which just goes to prove, no matter where you go, there you are. Have fun up North.

19. Love it! My husband thinks it’s hysterical that I can spot an Ole Miss person from a mile off…usually by the long hair in the front on a guy, gray New Balance tennis shoes, or a multitude of other things. I’ve run into them in the most random places and it is like I’m “home” for just a second!!

20. Kimberly says:

I am from Omaha and went to UNL for college…don’t let those “straight-talking” mid-westerners ruffle your feathers, they’re not as snazzy as they think they are. I was a country girl born in the wrong part of the USA…now living in Oklahoma where I BELONGED ALL ALONG! My kids say, “Sooner Born and Sooner Bred and when I die, I’ll be Sooner dead!!”

21. Well, you know what? I have trouble understanding people from “up North” who call the number that follows 9, “TAN”, instead of “TIN” like it’s supposed to be. Oh and all those other words they don’t pronounce right too! lol So just keep that adorable Southern accent and if we ever met we’ll understand each other perfectly! :)

Marilyn…in Mississippi

22. BooMama, I know that all I need to do for a laugh is head over to your blog!
    Hope you enjoy your time “up north!”- at least it will be cool! :)

23. Brenda from Georgia says:

Well, when I was in L.A. (Los Angeles, not Lower Alabama), I went to a Wendy’s drive-through and ordered a sweet tea (I had to explain what that was). When I got to the window, every one of the employees (of various ethnicities) was standing there to see the (legal) alien with the Southern accent.
    My college roomies at Florida State were from Miami. They told me I did not even know how to pronounce my own name correctly. They said I should say, BRANDA, not Brinnnda. They also did not like it when I asked them to “tote” something for me. They weren’t aware it could be used as a verb! And, when I answered the phone and told one her “Mama” was on the line, they rolled on the floor. Bless their hearts. I still love them to pieces!

24. “Yes Ma’am.” … Love it!

Well if it makes you feel any better, I moved from South Mississippi to the Memphis area and all of my Memphis friends just LOOVE (as in they think everything I say is hilarious) the way I talk! I used to work night shift at the hospital and my accent provided hours of entertainment for my co-workers because the sleepier I am, the thicker the drawl gets.

25. Nancy Hamilton says:

Sweet Sophie! So glad you got to be part of LPL Lincoln! We missed you & Melanie @ LPL Little Rock! And, I hear that the Smith sisters of Little Rock are ready to be officers in your fan club!

Just know anytime you are passing thru Little Rock, the women at Fellowship Bible would love to host you in our fine city!

26. Love it! Of course, I have a southern accent, but my cousins (cuzins) are from a different area of the same state. They say “tar” for tire kind of southern accent. My mama was a beautician and they would always come into her shop asking, “Aint (Aunt) ____, can you cut my har?” Love those boys.

27. We are a true Texan family. We say Howdy Y’all instead of hello. One of our daughters recently took a trip with a leadership group from college. They were sitting outside when lightning bugs (Surely you know what they are!) started flying around. Our daughter was the only one who had seen lightning bugs before. She told them stories of when she was younger how she and her sisters and cousins would tear off the lighted tail and make earrings, rings, etc. with them and run around our yard. To her it was a great memory. As for her friends, they thought it was gross! LOL.

28. We were recently in Kentucky, and nearly every person asked us, “Where ya’ll from?” which clearly meant, “You talk funny.” (we’re Hoosiers- with me being a translant from Philly, so I REALLY do talk funny ;)

29. Amy in PA says:

And this why we love college sports!

30. It’s funny you mention people understanding you. Recently I was on the phone with a customer service rep and I was TRYING to pay my bill.
    I told her, ME– “Hi, I’d like to make a payment on my bill..please?”
    HER–“Excuse me?”
    ME–Repeat above.
    HER– “Excuse me?”
    {Now, I’m wondering just what is it this lady is doing while I’m talkin to her!!?}
    I say again…very clearly and slowly. “I’d like to pay on my bill!”
    HER–“WHAT IS A BEEL?”
    {ME feeling totally and instantly embarrassed……straightened up in my chair for better “air” and clear thought}
    ME–BILL! PAY ON MY B I L L !!
    HER–{not so nice to southern lady’s……blasted yankee}

I hung up….and felt like I was a dummy or something. :(
    Gee whiz, twang is all I know.

31. Cindy Mc says:

I always found it funny that while I lived in Tallahassee, FL people thought my accent was so thick but every time I visited home (Missippi) everyone thought it was so sad that I had lost my accent. I guess it is all perspective.

and PS GO DAWGS!!! Hope to see you at a game this fall.

32. boomama!

you are not going to beLIEVE this!

well, you might.

but.

i used to spend two weeks in nebraska EVERY summer for, like, 10 years. starting when i was…14?…my sisters and i started traveling out there with my granddad who spoke at a camp every year. some years, we would go out two or three times because we formed such sweet friendships there.

lincoln, omaha, it doesn’t matter. IT’S ALL CORN THERE.

hope y’all had a good weekend!

xo

33. Jennifer says:

Nebraska is my husband’s homeland, too. Please, oh, please tell me that you enjoyed a Runza! Oh how I miss them between visits. As for the manners of the natives there, I was surprised by the less than polite way in which an otherwise mannerly teenage boy responded to my “thank you”… he said, “yep.” I later learned that is the common reply to TY up there. Seriously – the exchange goes: “Thank you for opening the door, the lovely dinner, etc.” “Yep.”

34. Waving hello from Iowa. You are such a delight. Wish I could cruise down to spend “Tuesdee” with you. (Did I say that right?)

35. Rachel R. says:

You were at the Beth Moore conference?? I was there!! I wish I had known…I totally would have been scoping the place out for you ;o) I guess I might not have had much luck with 4,000 women there but it would have been fun to try to find you (Where’s Waldo!). It was an amazing time of praising God and giving my heart a really good tweak that it needed!

36. All I can say about this post is, IIIII KKKKKKKNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!! Why is it that any one in any other state looks at us like we don’t talk right?? I have cousins in Georgia, GEORGIA, mind you, who make fun of me for saying “fridee” and “toniiite”. I mean, sounds perfect to me! My son, while wearing a MSU cap, was walking across a hotel parking lot in Nevada a couple of years ago and he and another traveler who was wearing a MS State shirt spotted each other at the same time. He said it was like a family reunion. No, they had never met before. But for a few minutes everyone in the conversation understood every word!

37. I just read a comment from Pixy up yonder earlier in your comments section, and I just HAD to add my fly swatter story. Here in north west Alabama, RURAL northwest Alabama, we call them fly flaps. As in “hand me the fly flap, that fly’s worryin’ me to death”. Yhey are also used for disciplinary purposes, as in “if you sass me one more time I’m gettin the fly flap”. We had a lady who worked for my dad who was a Yankee (we called her one, it was ok), and one day at work she said “That’s a fly SWATTER. You don’t FLAP flies, you SWAT them”. I said “well, you may swat them up north but we flap em down here”. The entire office laughed about that the rest of the afternoon!