Miss Mississippi 2011 Viewing Party

Okay. Here’s the low-down.

We’ll share our thoughts / observations / reactions in the comments. This is all in good fun, so let’s please be mindful that somebody’s mama or cousin or great-aunt Ethel could stop by and read what we say. In other words: let’s do our level best not to say anything hurtful. These girls are young and singing / dancing / performing their hearts out. Plus, if any one of them showed up at a pool or beach where I happened to be spending the day, I would cover myself with a blanket and run screaming for the indoors. These girls are darlin’.

Also: sometime around 9:45 or 9:50 (central), leave a comment with your prediction for who’s going to take the crown. Once the pageant is over, I’ll draw from all the correct predictions and send the winner a SPESHUL PAGEANT PRIZE.

I should probably point out that the prize is not a crown.

I know that’s going to be a disappointment to some of you, but I do hope you’ll participate in the festivities anyway.

So. With all that being said, let’s enjoy the show. See y’all in the comments!

(Be sure to click on the play button in the bottom left hand corner to watch. If you click on the big play button in the center, the internet will whisk you away to the main livestream site. And we will miss you.)

Comments

1. I’m here, doing my mani/pedi! I’ve stopped myself MANY TIMES already from getting my wedding tiara (yes, I said wedding tiara, hush) and wearing it. I’ve also got the big, official guide that my husband’s company printed.

LET’S DO THIS THING.

2. I’ve got my phone, my Mentholatum, my laptop and a Diet Coke – pretty much my pageant-watching necessities. Yay!

3. Just FYI: the bottom left hand button actually re-directed me to livestream – but when I hit the back button and clicked the center button on the video, it worked.

4. WAIT NOW. Why is Law and Order on my TV?! I’m 45 minutes away from Vicksburg. SOMETHING IS WRONG.

5. And I have two windows open – one so the pageant can run non-stop, and one so that I can comment at will. :-)

6. ANDREA says:

O M G THE GIRL JUST DID THE SHOOTER POSE WITH HER FINGERS LOL

7. ANDREA says:

UM WHY ARE SOME OF THEM ALL DRESSED UP FOR TRICK N TREAT..AND SOME GET TO WEAR REGULAR DRESSES…IM JUST SAYING IF I HAD TO BE MRS INCREDIBLE ID BE TICKED:)

8. There are two girls named “Laken”. Fascinating.

9. Susan berry says:

I am here too. Eating blue belle summer berries. Watching skinny girls makes me crave some cream. I don’t know why our local station isn’t on

10. My top 10 predictions:

Miss Delta Blues, Miss Hattiesburg, Miss MSU, Miss Central MS, Miss North Central MS, Miss Dixie, Miss Metro Jackson, Miss Deep South, Miss Heartland, & one wild card. :-)

11. I have always absolutely LOVED the name Laken. I had only heard it once before on a character on the Santa Barbara soap opera. I am hoping for a Laken to win.

12. A wedding dress with sneakers. Runaway Bride. LOL!

Still not seeing it on my TV. BOOOOO.

13. @Andrea – Yes re: two Lakens. So unusual!

14. ANDREA says:

THIS IS RIVETING:)

15. Okay – Miss Pine Belt was great on the piano. GREAT.

16. Y’all. I’m 5 for 7 on the Top 10.

17. 7 of 10.

MAMA’S GOT SKILLS.

18. ANDREA says:

PS SORRY ABOUT MY ALLCAPS IM NOT ANGRY MY LITTLE MIRACLES SPILLED WATER ON MY MACBOOK AND TO REPAIR THE KEYBOARD IS 700.00 UM THANK YOU BUT NO!

19. Well, there goes my “Laken” hopes.

20. I loved Miss Delta Blues’ talent. Thought it was cute and original. We’ll see what y’all think.

21. Oh wow, now the ones not chosen have to sing a sad song!

22. This is so old school and truly Southern! I’m loving it!

23. That’s impressive, BooMama! That kind of insight comes from years of pageant watching.

24. @Amanda M. – I’m so sorry about your Laken hopes being dashed.

25. I’m here. Took me a second to figure out what to do. Still fine tuning. Interesting Top 10. Looking forward to the talents. Look for a brunette to win.

26. I’m sorry, but I love any pageant that’s sponsored by Shoney’s.

• Jammie says:

Reading this on Sunday. Your Shoney’s comment made me laugh out loud, literally!

27. Getting my Miss Mississippi fix from central PA! Glad to join the party. :o)

28. These girls are DARLIN’. And I just tuned in, so I too was wondering if it was “costume party” or what.

29. Thank you. I appreciate that. Perhaps I should just have another child so I can name her Laken. But I digress.

30. @Tami Thank you. I ALMOST picked Miss Pine Belt, but she seemed to stumble last night on her interview question.

@Kathy So glad you’re here (p.s., everybody – Kathy and I took YEARS of dancing together as children / teenagers). :-)

31. I love the names-Fenly, Vaughn, Laken, Mary Margaret-so Southern.

Like Texas last night, they had the announcer introduce the girls. I would so much like to hear the girls themselves.

32. Jennifer says:

Loving this! I’ve been looking forward to the live commenting! I cannot wait for talent!

33. @Lisa – I think the costumes were tied in to the movie them.

@everybody – Both of the hosts are former Miss Mississippis. Nan was 1st runner-up in 1985 but “promoted” when Susan Akin won Miss America. A little bit-o-trivia for you. :-)

• I’m reading this on Sunday night. Having NOT watched the pageant, this is SO MUCH BETTER!! Y’all have got me holding my side! You should get a job as color commentators!

34. Patrick House is getting used for everything in MS lately. Poor guy never gets a break!

35. I dated a guy who dumped me for Monica Louwrens. She’s not my favorite person.

36. @Leigh – If Fenly Akers wins, it will be my favorite pageant winner name ever.

Also, I love any pageant where losing a bunch of weight on The Biggest Loser qualifies you to be a judge.

37. Oooooh – and @mississippi mama brings in our first bit of drama for the evening. :-)

I have to say, though, that I loved ML’s “Vanilla Ice Cream” talent in, what was that? 1996? 97?

38. I believe Fenly Akers was Miss MSU two years ago. Is that right?

39. Stupid pageant website STILL doesn’t have each contestant’s page up. No way to see talent choices, schools, platforms, etc. UGH!!!!!

Also – the girl whose last name is Corn is in the Top 10. That’s gotta be extra points.

40. Jennifer says:

I like a short and sweet judges’ introduction….let’s get this pageant started!

41. Mary Kat's Mom says:

The song for the girls who didn’t make it in the Top Ten was so very sad! ! ! But I did love seeing all the girls in costumes from movies! !

42. ANDREA says:

OH YOU COMMENTATORS ARE FUNNY!! LOVE IT!

43. @Jennifer I daresay that you are in for a treat!

44. Hahaha! Well, I think I ended up just fine without him. ;)

45. Andrea (Baby Aids) says:

Evidently no Memphis markets are showing the pageant so I am very thankful for you, BooMama! Yay for Miss Mississippi parties! Even if they are online : )

46. @Mary Kat’s Mom – sort of morose, wasn’t it? “You haven’t seen the laaaaaassssst of meeeeeeeeee.” :-)

47. DRAMATIC PIANO.

48. Hey And! Is Wendi watching at home? Can’t believe it’s not on in Memphis!

49. ANDREA says:

OH ARENT THEY LOVELY!!

50. The bar has been set by Miss Pine Belt.

And y’all, the princesses are little girls who get to shadow the contestants all week.

51. Those little princesses have the royal wave down pat.

Am I the only one keeping track with a score pad?

52. OK, first talent was good. Remember Miss Texas is a classical pianist, too.

And Sophie, I agee, Fenly Akers is a great pageant name!

53. Now listen – I think you have to be awfully brave to take on a Whitney song – but she won talent in the first night of the preliminaries!

54. Beautiful choice of dresses, Chassidy.

55. Fun fact: The folks who copy-edited the gigantor official book (NOT my husband!) didn’t catch their mistake that they called all the girls’ princes “princess.” So all the boys are listed as “so-and-so’s princess.” HILARIOUS.

56. Jennifer says:

Chassidy better watch that the top of that dress!

57. Okay – my comment got lost – or I’m going to my own spam filter – but I’m not comfortable with that level of cleavage. :-)

58. Jennifer says:

When I see dancers, I think that I could do just as good….am I the only one?!

59. Yes, I was also thinking that about the cleavage. Sort of made me think she was actually needing to perform Dolly Parton’s original version of “I Will Always Love You” – as once sung in that ever so slightly risque musical……

60. Hubs is in the same room as me, listening but not watching, and he said, “Hey, that girl can sing.” (It was the dancer.)

61. Well. Miss Corn had lots of arm movements in that dance.

62. Andrea (Baby Aids) says:

Wendi BETTER be watching! Her daughter Brooke was at the Thursday night preliminary. I haven’t gotten a lowdown from her yet on her thoughts, but I DO wonder what she thought of the electric violin performance (wasn’t that Thursday night?) I haven’t watched a pageant in nearly 10 years – you’ve re-sparked my interest in them!

63. Of the first three talents I’d rank the pianist the best.

64. DRAMATIC PIANO PART DEUX.

65. @Tami – I also have a scorepad in full working order! I’m right there with you.

66. Who do y’all think is responsible for making sure those trains are spread out *just so*? :-)

67. Joelle @goldenchances says:

OK. I’m here….been here a while, but I’m a technologically challenged…..and finally figured out the comments. These girls are lovely.

68. WOW. Miss Deep South is AH-MAZING on the piano. And I love her very over the top gorgeous dress. Totally am in love with that dress!

69. Just getting home. Hope I didn’t miss to much!

70. @Leigh I agree with you. So far I’d give the talent edge to Miss Pine Belt Gulf Coast.

71. FYI, for y’all not blessed to be from Mississippi ;) Taryn Foshee has the CLASSIC Mississippi accent. We all sound like that.

72. The dress was simply puddled, was it not! Glorious!

73. Another brave song

74. The host lady reminds me of Missy Needs a Nap.

75. Jennifer says:

I sang Don’t Rain on my Parade in Petal’s Jr. Miss 1996….I still don’t know why I didn’t win that dang thing!

76. Re: “Don’t Rain On My Parade” – I love that these girls are singing the same songs for talent that people were singing 30 years ago. And I thought Miss Delta Blues did a jazz dance, so clearly I was mistaken since she’s singing right now.

77. A pageant standard. It wouldn’t be Miss Mississippi without “Don’t Rain On My Parade”.

78. ANDREA says:

OH GOD BLESS AMERICA AND I LOVE THE 4TH BUT FOR THE NEIGHBORS THAT CONTINUE TO LIGHT THE SKY WITH FIREWORKS..YOU ARE KEEPING MY LITTLE 4 YEAR OLD AWAKE..HES’ SCARED TO DEATH…LOL SO I APOLOGIZE FOR MY LACK OF COMMENTING!

79. @Mississippi Mama – I agree. Taryn’s accent is the gold standard. Because we do all sound like that.

80. Fenly Akers’ song is one of my all-time faves and I love the pointe. Goodness, I kind of really think all these girls are awesome.

81. I can totally see this whole upbeat pointe routine in Miss America, can’t y’all?

82. Fenly was better than the previous toe-dancer, imo.

83. OK, I think Fenly was great!

84. @Andrea – my neighbors are at it, too. I’m tempted to sit with a fire extinguisher at my feet.

85. ANDREA says:

O MISS HIGENBOTOHOM YOU HAVE LEFT ME SPEECHLESS

86. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Fenly Akers gets points in my book for not rolling on the ground. Also, the twirling.

87. @Amanda M. – aren’t they darlin’?

88. Oh, Carmen. Oh, no.

89. Gracious sake I do believe that she will be workin’ a tambourine! Bless her heart.

90. Ooohhhhhh. A tamborine!!!

91. I’m not so sure about opera with the tambourine. Hhhmm…

92. Tamborine = no crown in my book.

93. @Joelle – You make an excellent point. And FWIW, I picked Fenly to WIN IT ALL in a text conversation with my brother a couple of days ago. :-)

94. Amanda says:

Can’t believe WLBT is having technical problems! My 4 yr old and I are watching livestream! She is loving this! Makes my heart happy!

95. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Did Miss Dixieland step outside the box there? Very unusual to me. Still darlin though!

96. Jennifer says:

Opera + tambourine = interesting

97. Update: The pageant is still not airing on TV IN MISSISSIPPI. *hissy fit*

98. @Amanda – What in the world? WLBT’s switchboard is LIT UP, I bet. :-)

99. ANDREA says:

I DO BELIEVE THAT THERE TAMBERONE MAY HAVE COST HER THE CROWN

100. Both pianists and Fenly Akers are at the top of my leader board. I think the opera singer needs a little more training.