Miss Mississippi 2011 Viewing Party

Okay. Here’s the low-down.

We’ll share our thoughts / observations / reactions in the comments. This is all in good fun, so let’s please be mindful that somebody’s mama or cousin or great-aunt Ethel could stop by and read what we say. In other words: let’s do our level best not to say anything hurtful. These girls are young and singing / dancing / performing their hearts out. Plus, if any one of them showed up at a pool or beach where I happened to be spending the day, I would cover myself with a blanket and run screaming for the indoors. These girls are darlin’.

Also: sometime around 9:45 or 9:50 (central), leave a comment with your prediction for who’s going to take the crown. Once the pageant is over, I’ll draw from all the correct predictions and send the winner a SPESHUL PAGEANT PRIZE.

I should probably point out that the prize is not a crown.

I know that’s going to be a disappointment to some of you, but I do hope you’ll participate in the festivities anyway.

So. With all that being said, let’s enjoy the show. See y’all in the comments!

(Be sure to click on the play button in the bottom left hand corner to watch. If you click on the big play button in the center, the internet will whisk you away to the main livestream site. And we will miss you.)

Comments

1. @Boomama – I agree. Fenly’s got a real chance. Mary Margaret Roark another one I like.

2. Jennifer says:

@ Mississippi mama I’m watching it on WXXV

3. @ANDREA That made me laugh out loud.

4. Jamey and Katie says:

These commercial breaks are awkward… But we loved the twirl and curtsy!

5. I would looooooove to see a girl play the piano when it’s not her sole goal in life to DESTROY THE KEYBOARD. :)

6. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Miss North Central Mississippi is DIVINE!! Sheer elegance and I love that piece!

7. Roark! Like Sandra Bullock’s character in “A Time to Kill!” (I think that’s the flick.)

8. I turned off comment pages so we wouldn’t have to click through so much. Hopefully this will be easier. If it’s not, let me know!

9. WOW! Mary Margaret just rocked that piano and her dress was perfect and her smile. She moves to the top of the leader board!

10. Joelle @goldenchances says:

The host reminds me of that Nora Dunn SNL character…the “I’m a former model” gal. Pat Stevens? Does anyone remember her?

11. My daughter was slightly frightened by the opera song. Afraid it might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

12. @Kathy @Lisa Smith – I got a text from my friend Bubba that said it’s gonna be cut throat between Akers and Roark. :-)

13. ANDREA says:

@BOOMAMA…MY WORK HERE IS DONE IF IVE MADE YOU LAUGH RIGHT OUT LOUD!!!

14. Have y’all been practicing the classic pageant move of reaching up and pulling down an invisible rope? Because I totally have.

Poor girl just got called “Beningo” twice.

15. ANDREA says:

OH GET IT KIMBERLY!!!
    THE DEEP EMOTIONS OF LOVE ARE POURING RIGHT OUT OF YA!

16. I need someone, please, to tell me what these girls have done with their hips? Have they lost them? Did they not have them to begin with? I need to know.

17. Jennifer says:

Hattiesburg is my hometown girl but I was not loving that song.

18. And suddenly all I can think of is Sandra Bullock doing her talent (with the water and goblets) on Miss Congeniality. Heh heh.

19. Oh geez…I surrender too.

20. @Boomama Please tell me your joking about texting your friend Bubba? Because that’s just too perfect.

21. @Mississippi Mama – you have to reach out to the audience, too. Like you’re offering them a platter. And they’ve been mispronouncing Miss H’burg’s name every single night.

22. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Kimberly Page has that “Girl Next Door” appeal….sweet appeal.

23. OH MY.

24. That was a… big song.

25. Ouch.

26. @Sophie Oh yes, a platter of delicious petit fours and deviled eggs.

@Lu They haven’t had babies yet. That’s where their hips are. ;)

• Jammie says:

Mississippi Mama, I am reading this on Sunday … but you are absolutely killing me with your comments! All of you are hysterical. I’m about to roll off my chair laughing!

27. @Melody I’m absolutely texting with my friend Bubba. Except Bubba isn’t his real name – just a nickname I gave him about 20 years ago. He and I have watched MANY pageants together!

28. ANDREA says:

LITERALLY LOL @LISASMITH AND @TAMI

29. Joelle @goldenchances says:

That was one or two key changes too many. Bad advice from someone.

30. Taryn’s in the TV trucks. She should ask them WHERE IS WLBT???

31. I’m so late and sad about it. I just have to say this hostess’s dress seems to have a personality disorder. Sleeves or no sleeves? Sleeves or no sleeves?

32. @Lu Their hips are waiting to make their debut about the time their first baby arrives.

33. Taryn should be a contestant. She is so adorable!

34. Talent Top 3 – Fenly (2nd toe routine), Roark (piano in gold), and Wicks (the first pianist).

Roark takes talent because judges like piano better than toe dancing.

35. ANDREA says:

O BOO MAMA WELCOME TO THE PARTAY!

36. @boomama That is awesome. You couldn’t plan that better.

37. I am so thankful for the commercials. Now I know where to shop when I ever got to MS! ;)

38. @Big Mama I believe that she’s going for what I like to call “the sleeveless compromise.” Don’t want to show your arms but like the look of sleeveless? Incorporate a MOCK BOLERO JACKET into your evening gown.

39. @Melody – Taryn WAS Miss MS a few years ago. :)

40. Mississippi People – Is WLBT still not working? Has anyone called Maggie Wade? :-)

41. I’m with @Kathy. I liked Roark’s talent a little better, but Fenly gets the edge because of her name. Definitely a pagenty-y, southern name.

42. None of the singers stood out. It is so hard to sing in an auditorium without an ear piece, and each singer sounded just a bit off pitch, which I think comes from not hearing the accompiament well.

I’d say top talent is Mary Margret and Fenly, followed by the other pianists.

Interesting note;
    The gal that won Miss Texas last night did not win either a talent or swim suit prelim. However she was the overall interview prelim. winner. that interview with the judges that we don’t see is really important towards winning the title.

43. ANDREA says:

LOOK NOW NOT EVERYONE CAN PULL OFF A MOCK BOLERO! LETS BE HONEST WE KNOW THAT WILL BE IN NEXT FRIDAYS FASHION FRIDAY:)

44. I think either Fenly Akers’ or Mary Margaret Roark’s talents would transition beautifully to Miss America. Same for Miss Pine Belt Gulf Coast.

@Kathy – You make an excellent point. Judges always favor piano over dancing.

45. Joelle @goldenchances says:

DANGER ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

46. @Mississippi Mama Makes so much sense now!! Now if only I can pick the next one instead of predicting past ones!! ;)

47. ANDREA says:

OO DEAR THE MEN ARE WEARING WHITE SUITS! GASP

48. They’re letting MEN in the Miss Mississippi pageant? Very progressive!

49. I feel like I’m watching a reenactment of the Wedding Singer.

50. As we watch and listen to this very special entertainment, let me quote my husband, “I just love local productions. I really do.”

51. There just aren’t words for this “Danger Zone” performance……

52. @Sophie – You know Maggie’s in a trailer in the back just screaming and throwing things around. Okay, so there’s no chance of that, but it’s a funny visual. They’re still saying “technical difficulties.” My husband says someone should give them a “TV for Dummies” book.

53. “Danger Zone” with a pink vest.

54. Jennifer says:

I may have danced to this song in showchoir in 1995….however I did NOT hike my dress as part of the dance!

55. I think we know what Justin Bieber will look like in 10 years?

56. Amanda says:

@big mama what is P saying about this all?

57. It takes a real man to sing “Eye of the Tiger” while wearing a white tux and pink vest.

58. So it would seem that we’re in agreement that SO FAR it’s neck and neck between Fenly and Mary Margaret. I have to say that either name is worthy of the title.

59. ANDREA says:

ITS NOT EVERY DAY YOU SEE JUMP ROPING INCORPORATED INTO A DANCE ROUTINE

60. Does it GET any better than a pagent and Top Gun music????

61. I have decided to wear white panty hose to church tomorrow. I think it will be a big hit.

62. When these men were little boys, do you think they dreamed of one day wearing white suits with pink vests and ties while singing in a state pageant? PERHAPS.

63. Many weddings are missing their grooms tonight.

64. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I know an elderly gentleman that is named France Beard. No resemblance.

65. @Tami – Yes, a REAL MAN. That guy TOTALLY reminded me of Sylvester Stallone in the Rocky movies. ;-)

66. Jamey and Katie says:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS???

67. ANDREA says:

O I LOVE THAT THEY HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHAT EVENING GOWN IS ALL ABOUT

68. This is my favorite part of the pageant. It’s still 1989. And I have been known to memorize some Miss Mississippi choreography and then perform parts of the routine on girls’ trips.

69. Jamey and Katie says:

Is she wearing shoulder pads?

70. “Excited?”

“Oh, just spectacular.”

???

71. I think a leader should have the ability to lead.

72. Y’all, your comments are so good. I can’t respond fast enough. SO GOOD.

73. @amanda P may or may not have said a non-Sunday school word when the music for Eye of the Tiger began.

As for me, I have no words.

74. Beautiful dress, but the one sleeve is making her look lopsided to me.

75. Not a fan of the short dress with a sheer overlay.

76. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Leading leaders are important. And that’s where the leading comes from.

77. @boomama Doesn’t it all remind you slightly of a Tiffany or Rick Astley video? The blue and hot pink neon, with the one-armed dresses?

78. ANDREA says:

OH MISSISSIPPI MAMA..THIS HERE PAGEANT IS MAKING DREAMS COME TRUE FOR WOMEN AND MEN!! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE PRIDE THEIR MAMMAS MUST BE FEELING AS THEY WATCHED THEM OWN THOSE PINK VEST/WHITE SUITS!

79. Leaders leading their followers? Sounds cult-ish. Just a smidge.

80. @Joelle LOL!! You are good!!

81. Q & A always makes me nervous

82. @Jamey and Katie I have no idea. But they have brought me much joy tonight.

83. There are those boobs again.

84. OH Chassidy….again with the extreme v-neck.

85. Again, I’m going to offer her a tank top.

86. Jennifer says:

Chassidy is loving the cleavage showing dresses tonight!

87. That red dress may or may not be something I’ve seen Reba McIntyre wear.

88. That’s a perfect question for Miss Cleavage.

89. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Chastity and the twins are UNRELENTING!! If people would focus more on their personality, they would not have to have a neckline down to their mid stomach.

90. ANDREA says:

PS DOES IT COUNT AS A SUCCESS IF THE GIRLS JUST REPEAT WORD FOR WORD THE QUESTION THAT WAS JUST ASKED OF THEM, AND COUNT IT AS THEIR ANSWER?

91. Starting in the schools… especially with students. As opposed to the janitorial staff? ;)

92. Well Shelby Corn is just darlin’.

93. Amanda says:

Isn’t Chassidy the youngest contestant? I think my mama said 17.

94. That’s beautiful! What is it? Velvet?

(I hope y’all got that movie reference. Otherwise, I just look like a dork.)

95. I would NOT be happy if I had Titantic theme music while I was showing off my evening gown! Bad omen???

96. @Melody…..oh my word. I have just fallen over laughing. You are hilarious!

97. Ooooh, religion/politics question.

98. I think you mean Shelby DANIELLE Corn, BooMama. Can’t forget the double name! ;)

99. shayla says:

Just getting here right in the middle of the eye of the tiger. Is that the Miss state song?!?

100. Did she even answer the question?