Miss Mississippi 2011 Viewing Party

Okay. Here’s the low-down.

We’ll share our thoughts / observations / reactions in the comments. This is all in good fun, so let’s please be mindful that somebody’s mama or cousin or great-aunt Ethel could stop by and read what we say. In other words: let’s do our level best not to say anything hurtful. These girls are young and singing / dancing / performing their hearts out. Plus, if any one of them showed up at a pool or beach where I happened to be spending the day, I would cover myself with a blanket and run screaming for the indoors. These girls are darlin’.

Also: sometime around 9:45 or 9:50 (central), leave a comment with your prediction for who’s going to take the crown. Once the pageant is over, I’ll draw from all the correct predictions and send the winner a SPESHUL PAGEANT PRIZE.

I should probably point out that the prize is not a crown.

I know that’s going to be a disappointment to some of you, but I do hope you’ll participate in the festivities anyway.

So. With all that being said, let’s enjoy the show. See y’all in the comments!

(Be sure to click on the play button in the bottom left hand corner to watch. If you click on the big play button in the center, the internet will whisk you away to the main livestream site. And we will miss you.)

Comments

1. Poor Vaughn. Now that was a LOADED question.

2. @Kristen Haha!!

3. ANDREA says:

WHY DOES THE HOSTESS LOOK SHE SHOULD BE ON DESIGNING WOMEN?

4. @Amanda M haha!! Don’t hurt yourself!

5. Wasn’t this a topic in Tami Taylor’s interview on Friday Night Lights?

6. Stephanie’s standardized testing answer just got a big ole fail from this teacher.

7. ANDREA says:

OH STEPHANIE WE NEVER EVER SIDE WITH STANFORD ACHIEVEMENT TESTS..THE END

8. How do y’all feel about girls leaving their hair down for evening gown? I feel like it sort of begs for an up-‘do.

9. Joelle @goldenchances says:

The host is killing me. “Thank you, Stephanie. Very good.” TRANSLATION: Did you know I’m a former model?

10. Can I just say that while these women are all skinny and absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, it is so nice to see that they are not anorexic like the pageant last weekend??

11. ANDREA says:

WAIT I CANT STOP LAUGHING WHY THE SURPRISE SINGER?

12. They are all very skilled at not answering questions in a way that makes it appear they are answering the question.

13. Okay. Kandace Williams was a Miss Mississippi when I was in college.

14. Wait what did I miss? Why is she singing?

15. Joelle @goldenchances says:

When you answer questions with an answer, you are certain to have answered it.

16. Jamey and Katie says:

Is this some sort of half-time entertainment?

17. @ANDREA They like to break up the interview portion with a group number. In case we’re bored, maybe? :-)

18. That poor girl. Her dress ripped all the way up to her hip. That is embarrassing.

19. Wait. Now there’s singing? I’m confused. Did they shove the girls in a walk-in freezer so they could perform and grab back their old spotlight? Get to the bottom of it, Maggie Wade!

20. I guess this is an intermission because asking questions can be so taxing.

21. The blonde is the current Miss Mississippi. She’s a Chi O at State so I can’t help but love her. :-)

22. @Joelle Or questioned it?

23. See? the host was even confused. Didn’t know if it was talent or evening gown.

24. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I just want to know where I can download that weird Top Gun interview music. With that continual double clap sound.

25. I wonder where they got the question bowl. Home Goods?

26. Patrick House asked a reality TV question. WELL. COLOR ME ASTONISHED.

27. Andrea (Baby Aids) says:

Fenley just nailed it!

28. Why does no one answer the question? These girls should all be politicians.

29. Is Fenly’s dress white or pale pink?

30. I just love Annabeth Higginbotham’s name. Makes mine sound so boring.

31. Oh, I am so late to the party, but I am having the best time! Back in the late 80s/early 90s my mom was really involved in the Miss Tennessee pageant scene. A whole bunch of us went each night of the competition with our official Miss Tennessee books. With notes NOTES IN THE MARGINS! And then on the way home, we pulled out our pen lights, read our notes to each other and dissected the whole thing. Good times.

32. ANDREA says:

OH MISS HIGENSBOTHOM..WORLDS LONGEST QUESTION…

33. I can honestly say this is the first time I’ve heard the word “corporation” in a pageant. Clearly I’ve been living under a rock.

34. These ladies are masters at not answering the question. Futures in politics? We shall see.

35. ANDREA says:

OH MARY MARGERET TAKE IT AWAY

36. Mary Margaret keeps swaying. I’m afraid she’s going to fall!

37. And both top contestants – Fenly and Roark in white gowns – coincidence? I think not. Their pageant managers did their homework.

38. @Tater Mama – I had forgotten about Miss TN being in Jackson – so glad you (and your wealth of expertise) are here!

39. Joelle @goldenchances says:

First meeting in the Governor’s cabinet: I would point out our musicians. Well, that is an interesting approach.

40. @Kathy – YES. The white gown is classic. I think I like MM’s better than Fenly’s. She is WEARING IT.

41. Mary Margaret kind of botched that answer. It wasn’t called “you better believe it” but “Mississippi…Believe It!” and it wasn’t state-sponsored. And she basically just suggested the same thing. So the judges won’t like that.

BANINGGGGOOOOOOOOOO. Oh, poor girl.

42. @Joelle haha! That would be a first!

43. Miss Hattiesburg got the easiest question EVER.

44. ANDREA says:

OH SNAP KIM KARDISHANS MOTHER THROWN UNDER THE BUS ALL IN THE NAME OF MISS MISSISSIPPI

45. @Amanda M. @ANDREA YES!

46. Why cain’t. Oh, Patrick, we love you.

47. My mom just asked me what I’m doing. “Is that Big and Boo?”. You can tell I’ve been talking about your podcasts. :) This is my first time watching a beauty pageant. (I’m from the north,what can I say?)

48. @Mississippi Mama Great point.

49. It’s been a while since I saw a tomboy in a pageant. Thank you, Miss Jones Co.

50. That got stressful. they should break for a song.

51. ANDREA says:

OOO I DIE GREASE NUMBER THROWN IN

52. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Kimberly Page, I LOVE YOU. And I love that she has been to a convenience store in Brazil. And that she recalls the candy aisle.

53. Oh yes indeed.

54. I feel like I’m suddenly watching High School Musical. Sharpay and Ryan, anyone?

55. I deeply regret not having my groom and his groomsmen dress like this.

56. I have to give that round to Fenly.

57. the guys that first sang Grease Lightning would kick these guys’ butts. No one in a white tux and hot pink vest should sing this.

58. I’m thinking this is Fenly’s night…

59. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I also loved the way Kimberly Page threw the hands on hips.

60. @Sarah That made me smile!

@Joelle I thought she did such an awesome job with her answer!

61. I’m still thinking about Kimberly’s candy answer. She said candy aisles in America take up two aisles. My question is two-fold: 1) Where is this grocery store, and 2) do they take Master Card?

62. @MM That’s my kind of store!!

63. @Leigh I think you may be right. But Mary Margaret won a swimsuit preliminary – so that’ll make for an interesting last round!

64. ANDREA says:

WHO NEEDS HOLLYWOOD..UM I VOTE EVERYONE OF US!

65. @MM I want to go to there.

66. Only in Mississippi is there a posture award. :)

67. If I won an award for posture, my mom would bust at the seams with pride.

68. Yay for the Lakens!

69. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Dang. I need a corporate/subsidiary chart to follow some of this stuff.

70. Oh, I just saw that you’re doing this!!! How neat-o!?!

I’ve only gotten to watch a little bit, but I just want to say that I thought it was really sad when all of the girls who didn’t make the Top 10 had to do that sad song/ dance:(

71. @Tami Mine would, too! She was always a stickler for keeping those shoulders back. :-)

72. Jamey and Katie says:

We’re split over here… I’m voting for Fenly (Jamey), and Katie says Mary Margaret. However, we liked the candy answer in the interview the best!

73. Joelle @goldenchances says:

LIAR LIAR. He does NOT love the talent portion better.

74. Swimsuit is next. Alright, live bloggers, time to get your ice cream on.

75. @Boomama Are they doing a Top 5? When is our winner pick due?

76. I have nothing but admiration and a wee bit of jealousy for the swimsuit portion of the competition.

77. @BooMama… Amen!

78. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Yeah, I would need a cover up and tote bag to distract with some of my problem areas.

79. @Kathy – I don’t know if they do a Top 5 or not. Let’s pick winners around 9:45.

80. Y’all! Mary Riels is my friend Tracey’s little girl. I’M SO HAPPY!!!

81. ANDREA says:

OH WAIT IT GETS BETTER A LITTLE SKIT FOR OUR VIEWING PLEASURE!

82. @Andrea Did you see TRiels’ daughter?

83. O_o

84. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I know they put a lot of work into these big numbers, but I can’t figure out why.

85. ANDREA says:

THIS IS RIDONKULOUS

86. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Marie really does have something against symmetrical clothing.

87. Andrea (Baby Aids) says:

YES! Kelly Avery Frye and I are going nuts (we are texting each other)! This is just too fun!

88. Don’t you know they’re all thinking about what they’re going to eat when the pageant is over? I’d have an 8-piece bucket of Popeye’s waiting in my hotel room.

89. Now all I can picture is men having the same pageant and parading around in their swim trunks.

90. Is aqua the state color of Mississippi?

91. Jennifer says:

Alright, my pick is Mary Margaret Roark…even thougth her on stage answer was lacking, she is still my favorite!

92. They’ve been living on grains of rice!

93. @Tami That made me howl. And yes. It is. With hot pink being a close second. :-)

94. Jamey and Katie says:

We’ve been at the lake in swimsuits all day, BUT WE FORGOT OUR FIVE-INCH STILETTOS!

95. Do they always do this many musical numbers?

96. WHAT.

97. @Jennifer If I looked that good in a white bikini, I’d be tempted to wear it to the grocery store. :-)

98. ANDREA says:

UM ANYONE ANYONE? PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WHY MUST THEY CARRY ON WITH RANDOM SINGING

99. Joelle @goldenchances says:

I thought Kimberly Page was going to put a battery on her shoulder and dare us to knock it off. She’s a real woman.

100. @Jamey and Katie – HOWLING.

@Laura – YES. :-)