Yes, It’s That Time Already: Some Great New (And Not-So-New) Christmas Music

I really do start listening to Christmas music full-force on November 1st.

Why, you ask?

BECAUSE I ADORE IT, THAT’S WHY.

And since this week marked the debut of several great new Christmas albums, I thought I’d mention a few of them. I also thought I’d mention a few of my not-so-new favorites because I’m pushy like that.

Snow Globe – Matt Wertz – Valerie mentioned this one in the comments of Tuesday’s post, and I kicked myself for not remembering it. This is such a fun Christmas CD – with a version of “Tennessee Christmas” will no doubt make Amy Grant beam with pride.

Christmas – Michael Buble’ – This CD reminds me of when I was little and my parents would play Christmas records (real-live records – on a real-live record player) that featured Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Eddie Fisher, etc. It’s a throwback to a different era, which means that it’s probably destined to be a new classic.

Ring The Bells – Travis Cottrell – We call this CD “RANG YAW BELL” in our house. I have no idea why. But for our little man it’s what Amy Grant’s very first Christmas CD was for me: the hands-down Christmas-time favorite. We love it so much.

Joy – An Irish Christmas – Keith & Kristyn Getty – We sing lots of the Gettys’ music in our church, so I was tickled to see that they have a new Christmas CD. I’m a fan of the Irish flava (and I’m sure the Gettys are all about the flava), and I love that every single song is focused on the birth of Christ. Great mix of old and new.

A Neighborly Christmas – Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors – This Christmas CD has a funky, bluesy, folksy feel, and that’s precisely why I adore it. It’s soulful and simple and good. It’s also a great CD to play in the background during a Christmas party, mainly because it has such a unique sound. Good stuff.

On The Incarnation – Daniel Renstrom – I’ve been saying this for two years now: this is the best Christmas CD you’ve never heard. I love it so much and really do listen to it year-round. It’s haunting and brilliant and wonderful.

Very Merry Christmas – Dave Barnes – This CD came out last year (sort of late in the season, if memory serves), and we WORE IT OUT in our house. It’s right up there with the James Taylor Christmas CD in my book, and that, THAT IS SOME HIGH PRAISE.

So there you have it. A few of my favorites.

Have a great weekend, y’all!

Comments

1. Hey, let us know when Dave releases his 2011 “Christhmath Exthravaganztha” on the youtubesth.

2. David Crowder*Band has a new Christmas album out, and it is really good. Oh for Joy. Check it out.

3. I’m looking forward to the Michael Buble CD…I do not play Christmas music before Thanksgiving! I still love Amy Grant and Travis Cottrell’s CD is fabulous. I also still love Alabama’s Christmas album. Yes, I know I said album…I guess it’s old. We do have it on cd now : )

4. Thank you so much, Sophie! I put together all the albums except for “Joy” in a Spotify playlist so I can check it all out. It’s public if anyone wants to subscribe. All free, and no benefit for me, just wanting to share :)

5. Wanetta Stiers says:

You go girl!! I have been listening to Christmas music on my computer at work for the past 3 days. Just put all my fav’s in the car for the drive to and from work.

6. our library group doesn’t have even ONE of these…. booooo.

7. Thanks for all the suggestions!! And I see someone beat me to the Spotify recommendation- if you haven’t tried it yet, you MUST! It’s a cross between iTunes and Pandora. iTunes b/c you can pretty much access whatever music you want and Pandora b/c it’s streaming and FREE! Love it!! I added all of those albums to a new Christmas playlist (except for Buble’s b/c it isn’t available yet). I think I’ll start listening today!

8. I just bought the Michael Buble Christmas CD yesterday and have really enjoyed what I was able to listen to yesterday while driving around!! Thanks for the list. I’ll have to check out the other suggestions.

9. Andrea Clark says:

David Crowder Band’s new Christmas cd is really good!

10. My husband was on a singing team in college with Dan Renstrom! So it’s very cool to see this link to his music here. Going to have to check out that CD! So fun! Thanks.

11. You mean Amy Grant’s Christmas tape, not CD :) We wore that one out at our house – true classic. Thanks for these great ideas – I must say I’m a die hard classical fan and the Messiah and Bach’s Magnificat and Vivaldi’s Gloria get the most play time. However, we do like a little variety occasionally especially Josh Groban.

12. Last year I heard Faith Hill’s “A Baby Changes Everything” song for the very first time at church. If you’ve never heard it, go listen right this minute. And then add it to your favorites.

13. I bought the Michael Buble CD this week but have yet to open it because I’m usually a stickler for no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. However, if you love it you will probably also love the CD Christmas with the Rat Pack – a truly wonderful Christmas CD that gets worn out every year at my house!

14. I’m READY for the tunes for Christmas! My family just purchased Toby Mac’s new Christmas CD and we really like it! Thanks for all of the great suggestions for this season…

15. Thank you so much for this! I’ve gotten so much new music, but Christmas music especially, based off of your recommendations so I love this post every year! Bought the Renstrom album last year and I love it! Can’t wait to pull it out again! Will have to give the Buble, Snowglobe and Joy albums a whirl! I have all the others! Falalalaaaaaaa! :-)

16. Thank you for all of these suggestions! I’ve been needing some new Christmas music. We sing lots of Getty songs in our church also, so I can’t wait to check it out! I’m also excited to see all the suggestions in the comments above!

17. Here’s one more suggestion…”Christmas Stays the Same” by Linda Eder. This is the first Christmas CD that I listen to every year!

18. Valerie Moore says:

Oh! My! Gosh! I can’t believe you mentioned me in your post. I’ve been loving the Matt Wertz Snow Globe CD ever since I got it Tuesday morning. And the Dave Barnes one? Amazing. I wouldn’t ever have know about either of them if not for your blog. And Ben Rector, who opened for Dave Barnes at a concert we went to last year. He doesn’t have a Christmas CD (yet :D), but surely he will some day. I can’t imagine having missed all of their wonderful music!

19. Who needs new? Bing’s Christmas album still my favorite.

20. Stephanie says:

Oh.. BooMama I have been eagerly awaiting the end of Halloween so I too can start listening to Christmas music.

21. Don’t forget Andrew Peterson’s ‘Behold the Lamb of God’. It makes me cry cause it’s just so good. Can’t wait to check out your suggestions.

22. Joelle @goldenchances says:

Amy Grant’s first Christmas album is very near and dear to this girl’s heart. I used to lay in my bedroom and fantasize that I lived in Tennessee so I could sing Tennessee Chrstmas with REAL AUTHENTICiTY.

23. Heidi Blankenship says:

oh my word, the joy that is the combo of spotify and your recommendations! Thank you to you and Amy for the playlist…revolutionized my Christmas music listening experience. :-)

24. I bought the Michael Buble Christmas CD yesterday (I now own sixty-two, SIXTY-TWO, Christmas CDs!!!) and I immediately thought — I’ll be hearing this in dressing and fitting rooms all season. It’s just got that feel — familiar but with a modern twist.

Thanks to your recommendation, I bought Dave Barnes Christmas CD last year and I never put it away. It’s playing now… It is my new favorite — absolute! As a matter of fact, it is so good that I bought twenty more copies and everyone on my list is receiving it this year.

For the second year in a row, the hubs and I will see Vince Gill and Amy Grant put on their annual Christmas concert at the Fabulous Fox in Atlanta. You have not lived until you’ve heard Vince Gill sing “O Holy Night” without accompanient. It is a spiritual experience and just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes…

25. Clothed in Strength says:

Thank you for sharing these! I also adore Christmas music and always start the Christmas tunes the last week of October. And I don’t mind seeing Christmas decorations in stores this early either! Gets me in the spirit of the holidays!

26. I am the same way about the Messiah. I listen to it every year starting in November.

27. Thank you so much for compiling this list! We start listening November 1 too and now I can surprise my husband with new music! I have to add, one of our favorite albums is Steven Curtis Chapman’s “All I Really Want For Christmas.” The title track is a poignant reminder, when I inevitably succumb to the craziness of the season, of what is truly important. Off to itunes : )

28. This year I’ve already purchased Toby Mac and Diverse City’s Christmas cd as well as the David Crowder Band’s, and Seabird’s. Oh, and I found Tenth Avenue North’s single “Go Tell It On the Mountain” on itunes. So fun! I think at last count (before this year’s additions) I had something like 53 Christmas cds. It’s a sickness! I have to start listening early or else I’ll never get through them all. I have all my Grandmother’s vinyl, and I pull those out to listen to as well. My favorite is the original 45 of “I Want A Hippopotumus For Christmas”…the flip side “Are My Ears On Straight” is pretty good too. Happy Early Christmas!

29. I love the Shane and Shane Christmas album and Selah’s Rose of Bethlehem. Next stop, spotify!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!