Miss America Viewing Party 2012

All righty, everybody. I’ll go ahead and warn you that I’m going to update this post an obnoxious amount while the pageant is on, so between my wordiness and incoming comments, we’re all going to have to refresh the page from time to time.

I know. It’s not exactly a fancy plan, but it’ll do, hopefully.

See y’all in a few minutes!

**********
As a point of order, I would just like to mention that I washed my face a few minutes ago but was so excited that I forgot to put on moisturizer. So I made it back to the TV in time for the pageant, but my face is now about to crack open. MISS AMERICA IS WORTH THE SACRIFICE.

**********
Oh, wait – I am unfamiliar with this off-site introductory business. I LOVE MISS ARKANSAS (“called a hog”). These puns are magnificent.

**********
I think the Las Vegas Visitors’ Bureau had a say in how the introductions are done. And yes, Miss Idaho totally called herself “a hot potato.” Also: I was unaware that Marky Mark is a sweet treat. But BREAK IT DOWN, GIRLS, with the dance moves.

**********
I know I’m partial, but Miss Mississippi looks fantastic. And listen – all these old-school opening statements (“having fun is always the Maine event,” “from the home state of Nike, here tonight to Just Do It”) are making me clap my hands.

**********
God bless Chris Harrison. He really is a perfect host, don’t y’all think?

*********
There’s a Head Judge? WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!

**********
Top 15 is silly, but nonetheless, we have Miss Oklahoma, Miss South Carolina, Miss Florida, Miss New York, Miss Iowa, Miss Texas (WHO IS DARLIN’), Miss Virginia, Miss Illinois (“There she creates, there she gives”), Miss Arizona, Miss Alabama (YAAAAAAAAY!), Miss Tennessee (WHO IS ALSO DARLIN’), Miss Wisconsin, (COMMERCIAL BREAK), Miss North Carolina, Miss California (sidenote: I don’t really need for my Miss America to be edgy, nor do I want her to manipulate the media, but I understand that I am old), and Miss Louisiana.

**********
OH MY WORD THE SWIMSUITS.

**********
You know what I’d love? A good production number.

**********
This is sort of like watching The Hills if The Hills took place on a really big stage. With crowns.

**********
Swimsuit competition? I miss those old one-pieces that looked like they were made of vinyl. And looking at all these six-pack abs reminds us that I’ve got some pimento cheese in the refrigerator. I think I’ll go make me a sandwich.

**********
I miss the three-point turn.

**********
I think it might lead to some ish-ahs if you’re eliminated right after the swimsuit competition.

**********
Three blondes left. The hair color tide, it is a-turnin’.

**********
Now that is just mean. For girls to have to line up behind the girl they want to stay? OH MY WORD SO MEAN.

**********
I just said this when I replied to an email, but clearly that whole “stand behind the girl you want to save” thing was designed by a man. A MAN WHO HAS NEVER BEEN A GIRL IN JUNIOR HIGH.

**********
Dear Miss Illinois: You are gorgeous, but Miss America does not use the phrase “sex appeal.” And I LOOOOOVE Miss South Carolina’s gown.

**********
Dear Miss Texas: Your gown is perfection.

**********
A Person Who Shall Remain Unnamed just texted me and said, “Alabowma.” SO GOOD. And I thought everybody looked gorgeous in evening gown, by the way.

**********
Y’all? Is she dancing to a Prince song?

**********
Talent: Miss Arizona (cute routine, strange music), Miss Illinois (maybe not the most difficult routine, but certainly better than I could do, you know, EVER), Miss Oklahoma (IRISH STEP DANCE, AMEN), but I’m having a hard time concentrating on the talents because I’m obsessed with the strange facts and can’t stop thinking about how Miss Illinois is AFRAID OF WINDMILLS.

SHE’S AFRAID OF WINDMILLS.

**********
Miss Texas (very talented at piano as well as her ability to sit gracefully in a dress with a slit cut up to her hip), Miss Wisconsin (some opera something or other), Miss New York (oh, this is my kind of Miss America vocal, yes ma’am), Miss Louisiana (it’s like an Ann Margret number in toe shoes – I don’t mind it – and she ALMOST SWALLOWED A DIAMOND), Miss Tennessee (bonus points for singing something from Cats in Italian), Miss Iowa (You Raise Me Up – a crowd pleaser), Miss California (appears to be LEGIT as far as her ballet skillz are concerned; her interpretation of the black swan was very EDGY, I have to say). :-)

**********
My prediction for Top 5: Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, California, Oklahoma – what do y’all think?

**********
Top 5, for real: Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Arizona, New York, California (I’VE NEVER BEEN LESS ACCURATE). In my humble opinion, Miss Texas and Miss Louisiana should’ve been in the Top 5.

4th Runner-Up – Miss California
3rd Runner-Up – Miss Arizona
2nd Runner-Up – Miss New York
1st Runner-Up – Miss Oklahoma
Miss America – Miss Wisconsin

**********
Well, that was just so fun! More fun! It was just so much fun!

Thanks, y’all, for being the best commenters in the whole wide ever. I had the best time with y’all!

(I still can’t believe Texas and Louisiana weren’t Top 5.)

(I’ll try to get over it.)

(‘Night, everybody!)

Comments

1. Yahoo! Can’t wait!

2. I’m so excited! Go Miss Texas!

3. Carolyn F says:

Can’t wait! Let’s hear it for those mid-atlantic girls!

4. Present!

And let me add I already like Miss D.C. Her 90 second video was precious!

5. Carolyn F says:

Anyone else getting the stink eye from their hubby about commanding the TV?

6. JustBetty says:

[ hyperventilating ]

7. JustBetty says:

hahaha. you betcha!

8. Here we go!

9. Go Miss Oklahoma!

10. Carolyn F says:

Miss Colorado’s mom was a Miss America.

11. I don’t think I can support this dancing on the Hoover Dam business.

12. There are some cute Southern girls, as usual!

13. Miss Kansas is cute!

14. Carolyn F says:

Miss Michigan is pretty.

15. I love these intros. Some are so clever.

16. Agreed. I immediately announced, “Oh. She’s precious!” to my husband who could not care less.

17. Yeah, I like the intros on stage a lot better than these outside locations.

18. Carolyn F says:

Mary Margaret from Mississippi — how is that for a southern name!

19. I’m here too! After that intro Miss Mississippi will be hard to beat! Oprah AND Elvis!

20. I’m loving the dresses!

21. Where is MIss Texas?!?

22. Not sure that I get the dancing in the background. Is it working for you?

23. Well, hailing from the great state of North Carolina I had NO IDEA we had America’s first mini golf course…

24. I’m loving the intros! Miss Alabama nailed it….home of champions!!!

25. Nope!! Looks a little awkward!

26. An educational event—I didn’t know Deleware only had 3 counties!

27. Where was Miss Maine???

28. JustBetty says:

this out-of-alphabetic-order thing is messing with me

29. Carolyn F says:

Me either Molly!

30. Did she say “home of Family Guy?”

31. Totally agree!

32. It’s like a giant flash mob: )

33. I miss the old-school parade of states. In order.

34. Carolyn F says:

I knew that, but only because I do Where’s George…. http://www.wheresgeorge.com

35. I definitely prefer the intros in alphabetical order.

36. I saw her…she was wearing a dramatic one-sleeved shirt. Cute!

37. me too! maybe someone had to have a re-do??? :)

38. JustBetty says:

[[[ sweet little miss wyoming. her mama was one of my college roommates! ]]]

39. OK…Yahoooooo!

40. The choreography is not so great and some of the girls are more into it than others. Awkward.

41. Carolyn F says:

How cool is that Betty!

42. Great twist: vote someone back in! wow!

43. Washington had a great tag line with the Starbucks comment. I love Ark TN and SC

44. Interesting twist to let the eliminated girls vote one back in.

45. I really like Miss Florida, her video was my favorite, too!

46. Anybody catch what kind of ring Mr. Harrison is sporting? Looks like a gemstone? It’s on his wedding ring finger, but it looks more embellished than a regular band.

47. and live! I always thought it was great when they could pull it off without flubbing the creative descriptions of their states!

48. Love Chris Harrison. He’s a gret host.

49. Carolyn F says:

Does anyone miss when they kept 10 contestants to the end? I always thought it was fairer to the 1st runner up. She got her moment, and didn’t have to share it with the loser. OK, that and the fact that I’d seen all of Sophie’s videos in the year they happened dates me quite a bit, LOL!

50. Ark. is really cute! Also, TN. I don’t remember SC.

51. Ahhh, Chris Harrison…you were BORN FOR THIS!!!

52. Carolyn F says:

SC lost over 100 lbs.

53. I like them in order, also!

54. The non alphabetical order threw me off! Finally saw her.

55. Um…I think she did. It certainly wouldn’t have been my choice of words!!!!! Ha!!

56. Miss OK is adorable. I was born in OK, but live in TX now, so those are always my picks.

57. Love Chris Harrison!

58. TOTALLY. Mine even walked into the kitchen, grabbed a white towel, waved it, and retreated to his man cave to watch the game. I’m watching with my 3 daughters and my oldest daughter’s spend the night company. I win.

59. 10 was WAY better than this 15 business.

60. Now this is a diverse group of judges!

61. He’s perfect for this job.

62. JustBetty says:

Can my husband come to your husband’s man cave? [He’s glaring at me.]

63. Kris Jenner?? Really?

64. Miss SC is darlin’…I’m really liking her!

65. When I was younger, I decided that if I couldn’t be a contestant, I’d want to work for Ernst & Young. Neither dream came true. :-(

66. I saw that in Southern Living!! Isn’t she cute!?!

67. What was Miss South Carolina’s story? I missed it. Cover of People magazine?

68. Don’t mess with Texas!

69. Carolyn F says:

Sophie, you’d be a GREAT head judge.

70. Iowa is a doll!

71. She lost 100 lbs!

72. Carolyn F says:

She lost over 115 lbs.

73. She lost like 125 pounds!

74. She lost 115 lbs! also features in Southern Living

75. She lost over 100 pounds in about three years…

76. JustBetty says:

… and you could wear one of those sequin-y tops, too! Judges get to do that.

77. 1. My 15yo daughter thinks all these girls look 30ish not 18-22ish 8}
    2. Looks like the year of the brunette. Lots of them!

78. Carolyn F says:

OK I wanna see Hawaii to see her talent!

79. These sequined top outfits are adorable, but could those jeans be any tighter? They’ll need shoehorns to get them off. Good thing they all have the bodies for them.

80. Come on. He’d appreciate the company. With 5 girls + a female dog, he’s seriously outnumbered.

81. Yeah! Go Southern girls!

82. It’s not looking good for our beloved Miss Mississippi. They already chose Miss Alabama and Miss Tennessee….

83. I loved, loved, loved Miss Alabama’s comments…”you definitely have to step your game up, this is Miss America!”

84. God love her! I’m all for her – you go girl!!!

85. Texas is gorgeous! I would like to see my home state of Wisconsin do well….but we never seem to : (…..wait, I spoke too soon….we made it!

86. Carolyn F says:

Anyone want to hear a spoiler about who an oddsmaker predicts to win?

87. It feels a little bit like Christmas. So tickled.

88. MISS ALABAMA!!! WOOOO!!!

And the sequin tanks and jeggings are darling.

89. I know: dislike!

90. oh, i know! *interesting* pick.

91. It was awkward.

92. I agree that some of these girls look older.

93. Carolyn F says:

I’d look like a stuffed Christmas ornament!

94. Sophie: you were born to be the head judge!

95. Me, too!

96. I agree! Some of these girls do look a little older!

97. I am loving the picks!!! And cute tops!

98. Carolyn F says:

OMG YES, go NC!!!

99. So excited AL made it! I think TN and SC are my early front runners…

100. I think we already have enough media manipulation going on these days Miss CA :)