The Rhyme Is A Football, Y’all, And I Went And Threw It

You know how you tend to be drawn to different music at different times in your life?

Well, you can only imagine how surprised I’ve been to discover that during this particular time in my life – when I’ve consistently listened to The Fray, NEEDTOBREATHE, Dave Barnes, James Taylor, and other folk/rock/indie/alternative musicians that I pretty much adore – an, um, unexpected musical craving has surfaced.

And since I’m not sure how to process it, I’m just going to throw it out there.

Ready?

I’m a wee bit obsessed with Will Smith.

Yep. Will Smith. The Fresh Prince.

I don’t know why, but I do know when it hit me. A few Saturdays ago I was trying to catch up on laundry, and as I walked through my bedroom, I realized that I was humming a long-familiar tune.

Boom! Shake The Room.

Oh mercy. Please help me.

(The quality on the video is terrible.)

(However, that in no way diminishes the awesomeness of the song.)

Anyway, weekend before last I dropped off Alex at a skating rink birthday party, and while I was visiting with a couple of other mamas and waiting for him to put on his skates, the skating rink DJ started playing a familiar tune. And I’ll be honest. I may have embarrassed myself. Because I could not quit singing “Gettin’ Jiggy With It” as it blared over the speakers.

Those are some tender musical memories from the 90s, you know?

Once I reacquainted myself with what it’s like to get jiggy (I totally just typed “jiggly,” and really, that is so much more appropriate at this stage in my life), I decided to revisit the entire Will Smith / Fresh Prince / DJ Jazzy Jeff canon: Parents Just Don’t Understand, Men In Black, Wild, Wild West. It has been a special time. There have even been a few days when I’ve been in the car by myself and CRANKED ‘ER UP.

What about y’all? Are there any songs from your younger days that you’ve been listening to lately?

I’m willing to bet that somebody out there has been listening to some Journey or Guns N’ Roses or New Kids or NSync.

I just know it.

Comments

1. I have to admit I saw both Poison and Bon Jovi in concert last year. Best. Year Ever! Plus I caught myself singing ALOUD to Prince while working out a few weeks ago. My apologies to anyone on the road who may have heard me.

2. Oh good. You too? Now I don’t feel so weird.

3. I pretty much have a running commentary on my life, in my head, that is made up of song titles, phrases, or movie lines. But mostly songs and titles. I don’t even know whole songs, just bits and pieces. Our children are obsessed with Eye of the Tiger at the moment, so that is one that frequently enters my brain. Hopefully it will inspire!

4. The addition of “in my head” to my sentence above is making me laugh, because can you imagine if it weren’t? There I am debating whether or not I should get a green vegetable at the store when I start to sing “Don’t stop believin’!” That? Would be funny.

5. SO funny you mention this Sophie, because for the last couple weeks these have been playing on my ipod mixed in with the current music (and my kids, 14 and 11, LOVE them!):
    Foreigner’s Juke Box Hero
    Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger (takes me right back to those Florida State football games I’d go to with my friends in high school)
    and Guns N’ Roses’ Paradise City

6. JustBetty says:

Had a rough couple of days. May have possibly resorted to a little MMMBop. [Don’t hate.]

7. You crack me up! No confessions lately, but since I **Just discovered Pandora–anything could happen! ;)
    Aloha! :)

8. Sometimes I clean the house to The Partridge Family (OK, really dated myself) or Robert Palmer, ZZ Top or (yikes) Aaron Carter. True confessions….

• I still have The Partridge Family Sound Magazine album and will break out in Echo Valley 2-6809 or I Woke Up in Love This Morning at random times. My kids just look at me and roll their eyes.

9. The Eagles, Journey, and Boston to be precise.

10. Last week, I had a personal shower for a friend. Kristi was playing her selection of wedding and romance songs on the CD player. When those finished, my CD of The Bee Gee’s “One Night” came on, and before you know it, 12 menopausal women were disco-ing it up! Really fun! I say, “crank er up!”

11. I cannot help but “Get Into the Groove” whenever I hear a Madonna song. Oh, and REO Speedwagon, Chicago…love.

12. Journey, REO Speedwagon, Firehouse are all in heavy rotation on my iPod. Ever since the news played President Obama singing Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” over and over (and over) I can’t get that song out of my head either. I may have downloaded it onto my iPod as well.

13. Well, recently the song Africa has been in my head but ONLY because some young whippersnapper rapper type person has put out a “new” song that totally “borrows” the chorus from the old. My daugher and her friends LOVE this song no matter that I told them it’s a complete RIP OFF!!

14. Margaret says:

I sing along in the car so no one can hear me. It is weird to meet someone and they are singing along to the same song on the radio. We both looked embarressed!

15. Dana Laviano says:

Oh you totally got me. I’ve been on a Journey kick, big time. There is something so exhilarating about singing at the top of your lungs along with Steve Perry. That IS his name, right? Anyway, it could be worse. It could be Duran Duran.

16. Well call me out, why don’t you! I have been NSyncing recently. This is particularly ironic because I HATED them in high school. I was way too cool for boy bands, you know. But as it turns out, I am less cool at 28 and totally digging them:). Nostalgia is a funny thing.

17. Love it! This mama’s got soul…
    boomama’s got soul too I see! I love to turn it up in my car!

18. Heather S says:

Funny you mention Journey. I love Journey, and wasn’t even alive when most of their stuff came out :) But I love rocking it to the older tunes. We went and saw Train at our Houston Rodeo last weekend, and they did a cover of Don’t Stop Believin’. Really great cover, the lead singer of Train JOGGED around the stadium while singing, and hitting every note! Was very impressed with Train, GREAT entertainer!

I grew up in the Backstreet Boys era, and I still have all of their CDs and I’m shocked when I realize that I still know all the words to ALL the songs. Maybe a few dance moves too :)

19. Well, always Journey. And since hubs and I watched Duck Dynasty last night, ZZ Top’s Sharp-Dressed Man.

20. Niki Hughes says:

Loved reading this post. It made me smile. I have in my car right now the soundtrack to Staying Alive. You just can’t beat the Bee Gees! And KC & the Sunshine Band is on it, too! Sweet!

21. A few days ago, I was home by myself in the afternoon and getting dinner ready, and I cranked up Snoop Dogg. :)

22. Julie in Mich says:

You are not alone Boo, I’ve loaded my Ipad up with Will Smith, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, KC & The Sunshine Band etc……..my husband just looks at me like “really” hahaha.

23. My boy and I listened to Michael Jackson on the way home from church last Sunday…
    I was singing along to Thriller and asked him if it was embarrassing that I knew all the words.
    He said, “Nope… it makes me proud!”
    Love it!

24. Well. I am old! I had four children in 7 years in the 80’s. So when you and Melanie talk about the 90’s music, I draw a blank. Other than Disney and Clermont Kids Bible school songs, the only thing I remember is New Kids on the Block since my 8 year old was obsessed.
    Modern day, I work out or clean best to Black Eye Pea or Beyonce. But I still love the Beatles and the Moody Blues for nostalgia. In fact, my husband and I are going to see the Moody Blues this weekend to celebrate our 31st anniversary. Some of them are 70!!! So we feel ‘young’ at 56! It is all relative!
    You delight me, Sophie!

25. I am with you, girl! I have a Will Smith cd on my ipod because when I’m exercising, nothing gets me going like jamming to Men in Black – “just bounce with me, just bounce with me,. . . now freeze!”

26. This post cracked me up! My hubby & I are HUGE 80’s music fans, so it’s not unusual to see us rockin’ out to Queen, REO Speedwagon, Bon Jovi, & most especially, Journey. We love us some Journey!

Also, (& this is a little embarassing) but I gotta admit, Debbie Gibson still brings a tear to my eye. Her music takes me right back to Jr. High when I was suffering through some serious preteen angst, & my first broken heart. Sigh… :)

27. I took my daughters to the NKOTB/BSB concert last year. (For those of you not on the hip train, that’s the New Kids On The Block/Backstreet Boys.) Best. Concert. EVER! I had the best time singing at the top of my lungs and dancing in my seat. (My girls, however, were NOT impressed.) Journey is also a staple, along with Heart and REO Speedwagon. Ah, memories!

28. Oh my word. I love so much about this post! I hate to admit I was a HUGE NKOTB fan, even had a themed birthday party when I was like 12. Wow, I just typed that…

Seeing all the other comments make me smile too. I love some 80’s music. Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, a little WHAM, and so many more… I have an entire 80’s playlist in my iTunes and a Pandora station. 80’s music is soooo much better than this crap that’s on these days. With the exception of my Dave Barnes, NEEDTOBREATHE, Ben Rector, etc.

29. CindyDavis says:

NSync is my secret workout/booty shake music…shhhhhh!

30. I was totally jamming to The Commodores “Brick House” this morning at the gym. I wanted to stop the treadmill and do a little dancing. It was great!

31. Love me some Will Smith. I may have just made myself a playlist on Spotify named “Shhh…noone needs to know…” So far, it’s full of Justin Timberlake.

So there you have it.

32. Gettin jiggy with it was all over my junior year of high school! One very HOT day that summer I was taking my very elderly grandmother to the grocery store (said Grandma loved her some People magizine and LOVED her some Will Smith…never heard a single song…just let the pictures from the magizine do the talking) when she said (in her very grandmotherly voice), “Well isn’t this weather just “gettin jiggy with it””! Instant family joke was born! We still use it anytime we get into a hot car! That Nanny…she was spunky…and very much loved!

33. I’ve been listening to Aerosmith while I run. “Janie’s Got a Gun” is actually a great long distance song. “Run away, run away, RUUUUUNNN RUN AWAYeAeAeAeAeAeA!” Just the other day, I screeched just like Steven Tyler as I was coming into that last mile!

34. Carolyn says:

Nothing like a little Def Leppard “Pour Some Suger on Me” and “Love Bites”!!!

35. Carolyn says:

Oh and anything from 38 Special! :)

36. Herman’s Hermits, the Monkees, Bread, America, the Eagles, John Denver, Dan Fogelberg….dare I say the Carpenters?

• I bet you listen to The Big Chill soundtrack too! best of the Golden Oldies.

• Becky in 'Bama says:

mmhmmm…. heavy on the playlist of my iPod is Monkees “Headquarters” – since the passing of Davy Jones. Love me some Monkees songs.

37. I was deeee-lighted today, when at the car dealership, a familiar tune began. I thought, “No… it can’t be. Nobody would have that play at the MANLY CAR DEALERSHIP.”

Everybodddddddy! Rock your body right. Backstreet’s back, ALRIGHT!

My boy band heart was fluttering. Then, another familiar intro:

TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. I’ll tell you what I want, what I really really want. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I really, really, really wanna zig-a-zig-AHH.

Naturally, I am youtubing it up later.

38. I LOVE 80’s music and early 90’s. Saw Bret Michaels in concert a few years ago and though I am mid 30’s I have to say it was like I was 12 all over again. Guns N Rose, N Sync, New Kids on the Block, Journey, and all the rest. Including Milli Vanilli oh yes mam I am serious.

39. anotherlisa says:

my girls were raised with motown (al green and aretha) as well as GNR and aerosmith. “mom likes old music” was always their apology. so for me to listen to *current* music is more of an aberration.
    as far as a little embarassing… i spring clean to old (non-political) green day and led zeppelin is good for any chores, anytime.

40. Whoa! How have I never heard that song? I graduated in ’94 and loved watching Fresh Prince on t.v., but I didn’t listen to the radio much and I missed this one.

And yeah, I’ve…um…listened to some Journey lately. And bollywood dance music. I can’t explain that one.

41. I teach freshmen in high school. I KID YOU NOT, just yesterday, 4 students in 7th period serenaded me with a lovely version of “Parents Just Don’t Understand” with a chaser of “Fresh Prince of Bel Air.” I never felt more hip in all my life. Until I used the word “hip” in their presence, and they looked at me like I have 3 heads.

42. I may or may not have just downloaded Tiffany’s “Could’ve Been”.

43. I’ve got a friend, and when I’m with her, we put in the Boy Bands -o- the 90’s. It’s just what you need, sometimes!

44. We were at a church recently and I (for some reason) quoted/sang/rapped a segment of the Fresh Prince theme song. To an older lady, I might add. I got nothing but crickets. Not my finest moment. Glad to know had I done the same for you, you would’ve probably joined it =)

45. Michelle E says:

Yes! Never heard this song, but how FUN! I may even download it. And I will admit to you that I went to an ‘NSYNC concert as a fully grown *pregnant* woman the summer of 2001. Yes. Yes, I did. I had a conversation with my OB about concert decibel levels and the effects on baby. His hearing is as fine as a 10 yr old boy’s hearing can be, and I’m sure his early exposure to that music is behind his amazing Just Dance skillz :)

46. Becky in 'Bama says:

It is sad that our children (or I should say grandchildren) will never experience the rapture of the local DJ playing your FAVORITE song on the radio: you know, waiting all day long, enduring HOURS of commercials, suffering through countless promotionals and finally…AH.. the sweet strains of that song. I tell you, it was sheer bliss. Hmmpfh now all they gotta do is download it to whatever device they possess and listen til their ears bleed. That is NO fun.

47. Oh, I have plenty of Barry on my iphone. Yes, I’m a Fan-i-low. But to counteract, I also have a good supply of Kiss, Styx, AC/DC (tribute band – apparently the actual AC/DC not on the itunes) and my most embarrassing selection: John Parr.

But when I really want to crank it up? Gap Band!

48. I have to admit that MTV’s Party To Go (from the 90’s) CDs are in heavy rotation in my car. (hanging head in shame) My seven year old son’s most favorite song ever is “Sadness, Part 1” by Enigma. LOL!

However, his mama will always, always be a Duran Duran fan.

49. Casey A. says:

Hall and Oates, anyday. Anytime. Bring it.

…I’m also a sucker for Def Leppard and Guns N Roses.

• Andi Hunter says:

I saw your comment & went straight to YouTube for some Darryl & John “I Can’t Go For That,” & my two year old LOVED it. I Saw them in concert when I was in 7th grade, wore my cool black concert tshirt & some gray parachute pants to school the next day,was the envy of my Jr High!

50. I was on the road late last night and trying to avoid sleep driving when I went old school to the cd player in my car to see what I had left in there. Oh yes. A little Salt-n-Peppa did the trick. I was wide awake and singing along to every single word. Spindarella cut it up one time…

• Andi Hunter says:

My kids love this song & the stories of my friends & I dancing to it at Teen Night at the dance club in the late 80’s! Salt N Peppa is HERE!

51. Andi Hunter says:

Lately I have been on a big 80’s alternative kick, and when I’m working my part time offcie job or doing dishes or cooking I am belting it out to my Depeche Mode station on Pandora radio. SOmetimes my children are less then thrilled about this, other times they start singing along to The Cars, Talking Heads, The Cure, Tears for Fears, etc etc. I cannot contain the joy that this music creates & sometimes I have to pull a Molly Ringwald/Claire in The Breakfast Club & do that little boppy kicky white girl dance. About this time my children fall on the floor in hysterical laughter.