The Balance, It Is Tricky

I’ve mentioned before that I fall right in the middle of introvert and extrovert on the Myers-Briggs. My brain can’t seem to decide if it’s more inclined to I or E, but the good news is that I usually feel comfortable wearing either hat. The I serves me well when I’m writing or hanging out at home in my pajamas. The E serves me well when I’m talking ninety to nothing with my family and friends.

But when that I or that E gets out of whack?

Whoa, Nellie Olsen. It ain’t pretty.

And honestly, the out of whack region is exactly where I’ve been living for the last couple of weeks. I have been running in super-high “E” mode – lots of plans and lunches and dinners and conversations and emails and phone calls and texts – and it has been a blast. I’ve felt very connected! and relational! and community-minded! and etc.! That part of things has been great. But yesterday afternoon? My “I” was begging for mercy. For some slow-down. For lots of not talking and shhhhh, no whispering, either. In fact, how about the quiet game? How about the quiet game for many days in a row while everybody keeps their thoughts to themselves and we just enjoy all the blessed quiet?

Oh, that does sound delightful. It’s not at all realistic, of course, and I’d be bored to tears within 24 hours, but being bored doesn’t sound so bad, come to think of it.

Anyway, in the interest of feeling a little more balanced and steady and level in my real life, I’m going to unplug this week. I don’t have a single obligation on the calendar other than work stuff and taking care of my people, so I’m going to lay low, soak up a slower pace, and hopefully de-clutter my brain a little bit. It’s gonna be a good thing.

Hope y’all have a wonderful week!

Comments

1. Ahhhh. The “I” in me is happy for you!

2. My I rejoices with you! Enjoy:)

3. My Mind, You Have Read It. That was me last week. I got some I time after a huuuuuuge stretch of E time, and it was just in the nick of time, because, well, you know.

4. E says hang with your I and bed up/down watching Law & Order reruns, OnDemand movies and do a facial mask and/or hair deep conditioner for 24 -36 hours. You’ll be a new woman Boo ;x

5. Honey, I hear ya. If I say I took 2 naps today does that explain how exhausted I was.
    Truly, I need a vacation and my “busy time” is just around the corner.
    So treat yourself to a break :)

6. Alicia M. says:

I am so glad you are taking time for yourself! Enjoy your week.

7. Katherine says:

Very smart idea, considering the whirlwind of end-of-the-school-year hysteria is almost upon us!! Take deep breaths and BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!!

8. Completely a good idea. I still maintain that May is nearly as stressful as December, so you’re smart to shore up now! Happy i-time.

9. Michelle says:

The big, fat “I” in me, almost had a sympathy-induced, panic attack on your behalf. ;) That kind of schedule would send me into a tailspin, for sure. The quiet game is good. We play it a lot at our house. If only my husband & 4 kiddos were as good at playing, as I am. Sigh… Oh, well. ;) Hope you have a great week of recharging!

10. anotherlisa says:

as long as the quiet game doesn’t devolve into the silent treatment,
    it’s all good. i would be lost without your humor and honesty.
    i was so caught this easter, in the grief and grace and sacrifice of maundy thursday and good friday (in a good way), that it took a while for me to get in a resurrection-celebration-happiness frame of spirit.
    then our sweet pastor confessed the same thing on sunday!
    enjoy your balance-seeking.
    my grandmother used to say she needed to ‘settle for a while.”

11. Have you seen this little chart: http://www.newreflectionscounseling.com//Default.aspx?page=ENTER_TOPIC_INTROVERSION . Gave me a nice smile this morning! Enjoy your down time :)

• Merri Jo says:

Wow, what a great website. While leaving it for Sophie, you provided me with some very timely info, as well. Thank you!

12. Ooh…I’m right between I and E too! I sometimes describe myself as a high-functioning introvert or an extrovert who needs lots of alone time.
    Enjoy your quiet time this week! It’s hard to fit mine in, but HOW I need it!

13. Merri Jo says:

I do want you to know that I do check morn & eve to see if you’ve posted, and I missed you the last few days here. As a relative newcomer, however, I am delighted to spend time in the archives getting to know you better (& laugh myself silly). I spent several hrs spanning a long weekend listening to all the Boocasts, & my hubby thought I’d taken leave of my senses. I guess he was unfamiliar with me convulsing in laughter with my earbuds in, while completely oblivious to the passage of time or the presence of others. There are several bloggers that I enjoy reading, but you are one of few for whom I quickly felt an affinity! I believe that we would have a lot of fun together as our hearts seem pretty similarly attuned. I am thankful on your behalf that you’re following Christ’s own example by getting away, separating yourself from the noise & the crowd. May you be refreshed and blessed as you clearly hear His still, small voice.

14. Johanna says:

Sophie, I could almost cry for understanding. In spite of my 43 years, I’m only JUST beginning to fully understand the delicate balance I’m constantly juggling to keep both my I and E happy. I’m currently on a self-induced break from something I dearly love simply because I had to admit that I couldn’t find the balance for myself. I feel myself starting to creep back but I’m cautious. I deeply admire your ability to know yourself well enough to see when you need to pull up the ladder and declare yourself taking a break from all the E. I’m trying to learn from you and others so I can pick up my lot again and carry on.

15. Please e Detroit Tigers, the Chicago White Sox, the Baltimore Orioles

16. Ahhh…that’s me to a T! I think when I hit the breaking point, I start to yell, “I just wanna run away where no one can find me…especially my kids!” And I swear, I don’t even feel guilty about it. Ha! Hope you enjoy your week!!!

17. Enjoy your I. I’m exactly the same on that blasted scale. I took that test when I was completing my Masters degree. The class was called “Psychology of Individual Differences”. And, Honey, I found out that I had many individual differences. Very enlightening. Rest up your I to get that E back at it again!!

18. I am so with you. As soon as you were mentioning how much active time your E was getting I was waiting for the I to sneak up quietly and tap you on the shoulder and say, “um, time for some alone time, please”. I could feel myself relax when you said you were taking some days off!

19. The “I” in me salutes you, ma’am. Also, I love that you added “Olsen” after “Nellie”. I say “Woah Nellie” all the time, but the Olsen! That’s genius! Happy Sabbath rest.

20. You deserve some time for yourself, Sophie!

21. Rest, it is good. Quiet, it is better! Enjoy both and come back to “us” soon.