Well This Is New And Different

This morning the little guy and I had kind of an interesting conversation on the way to school, and since I really wanted to continue the conversation after school, I decided that once I picked him up this afternoon, we’d run an errand or two and then stop by a frozen yogurt place for a little post-school food and fellowship.

So that’s what we did. When he jumped in the car around 3:30, I told him that we needed to run by the UPS Store, and oh, by the way, I thought it might be fun to try that new yogurt place that’s in the same shopping center.

Make no mistake: I was trying my best to be kicky and casual. But I figured that approach would be better than looking deep in his eyes and saying something like, “I really want to hear about how you’re processing this particular issue. What are your deepest thoughts and feelings? Can we please talk about lots of emotions while I ask you approximately thirty four questions?”

A little bit of earnest goes a long way around here. And really, what we were discussing wasn’t anything difficult; he’d just been unusually candid about one particular topic on the way to school, and, well, we all know that mamas EAT THAT STUFF UP.

So we went to the UPS Store, and then we walked down to the yogurt place. We each picked up a styrofoam cup for our yogurt, and I made a beeline for the cappuccino while Alex walked over to the chocolate. We got to the toppings bar about the same time, and since the toppings were three-deep and the containers were pretty squished together, I asked Alex if he needed any help with scooping since the odds for spilling / slinging / cross-pollinating were pretty strong. He assured me that he had everything under control, and he carefully sprinkled some Oreos over his yogurt while he kept an eye out for his second topping.

I, on the other hand, was firmly and fully committed to the crushed Reese’s peanut butter cups. It was a total no-brainer for me.

Alex (who, by the way, gave me his blessing to share this story – I try to be mindful of his bloggy boundaries, you know) eventually camped out in front of the Twix / cookie dough / Snickers portion of the toppings bar, and after a few seconds of deep contemplation, he picked up the plastic ladle in the cookie dough container. He slowly stirred the pieces around, still unable to fully make up his mind, so I intervened.

“Buddy?” I asked. “Do you want to try the cookie dough, do you think?”

Now of course I meant “try” in the sense of “Would you like to put several pieces of cookie dough on your yogurt and then sample those pieces once we pay and sit down?” But I didn’t really make myself clear, so after I asked Alex the question about trying the cookie dough, he nodded, scooped up a few pieces, replied with, “Oh, yes ma’am” – and then y’all, he put that plastic topping ladle right up to his mouth just like he was standing in our kitchen and about to chow down on a big scoop of peanut butter.

I managed to stop him before he actually ate any of the cookie dough, but oh my word we got so tickled. I bet I laughed for five minutes. I also told the girl who was working behind the counter that she might want to run that ladle under some hot, soapy water before it returned to service in the cookie dough bowl.

And do you know what two words kept running through my mind when I was trying to compose myself?

HOME. TRAINING.

Yes ma’am. We’ve got it. Clearly we are all kinds of fancy at our house. And even though we really do try to emphasize having good table manners, we might be due for a little tune-up / maintenance call. Or maybe just a reminder that it’s not a good idea to eat the peas straight out of the pot, so to speak.

After we finally sat down, we did end up having the sweetest conversation – one that I’ll hold tight in my heart for a long time. We finished our yogurt, made a quick trip to the bookstore, and then we headed home. Alex had homework to do, and I needed to start supper.

It was around 5 o’clock, I guess, when the doorbell rang. Alex ran to answer it, and when I heard him yell “Thank you!” in the general direction of the driveway, I knew that someone had delivered a package. I could hear Alex trying to pull the box into the foyer – but it was so big that he was struggling a little bit. I couldn’t remember ordering anything that would be that heavy, but over the span of several seconds, something occurred to me.

BOOKS.

And sure enough.

photo IMG_2158_zps547d63ab.jpg

So that was a little bit of a Family Moment. Very surreal. And fun. But make no mistake: deeply surreal.

A half hour or so later, we finished our supper, and I faced the sobering realization that there was no way to avoid a trip to Walmart. Why, you wonder? Well, because apparently the good times never stop and sometimes you can’t put off buying shampoo and razor blades for even one more second.

But in the end, I was so glad that I went to Ye Olde Supercenter. I’m a sucker for a good sunset, and tonight’s was the prettiest one we’ve had so far this spring. The sky was so beautiful, in fact, that I made a quick detour into the Lowe’s parking lot, where I promptly put my car in park and grabbed my phone out of my purse.

photo IMG_2162_zpsdb1d38a9.jpg

I mean, seriously.

There was a man parked across from me who was also taking pictures, and after a few minutes I turned to him and said, “That sky is so pretty that it’s hard to understand why people would want to live anywhere else.”

He grinned. And then he said, “You look at that sky, and you really don’t need much more than that, do you? Even just a little bit of that – that’ll hold you for awhile, you know?”

And I did know. I do know. Because the God who created that gorgeous sky – He holds.

Today has been such a reminder of that.

And it’s been so sweet to remember.

Comments

1. So sweet! And your book – so exciting!!! :) By chance, do you mean the cappuccino yogurt at Treat Your Self? Because that stuff is just good.

2. It’s surreal that it’s been 7 years since we “met” in the blogosphere. A. was only 3, just a toddler, and any dreams of you writing a book were just that, dreams. Look at you now. You go, girl!

And also….the books are here!!! Squeeeee!!!! I can’t wait to read it. :-)

Hugs,

Di

3. Margo says:

This is such a dear, sweet post. What a thrill to receive a box of YOUR books! Congratulations!

4. Michele Brooks says:

Tears in my eyes this morning, sweet Sophie.

So excited to read that book!!!

5. Loved this post!! Sweet, funny, and just all-around heart warming. I’m so glad you had such a precious time with your son. Those moments can race by all too fast. What an incredible reminder of just how important it is to slow down and hang on tight to one when it is there.

And enjoy sunsets.

And delicious frozen yogurt.

Congratulations on your book!! Such exciting news! I can’t wait to read it myself.

6. I recently had a tender conversation with my little man, the same age as Alex. Those are so stinkin’ precious – we DO eat them up, don’t we? And, to echo everyone else so far… THE BOOKS! I. Can’t. Wait!!!!

7. Time with your kiddo, frozen yogurt, your book, and a beautiful sunset. Sounds like a perfect day to me. I’m so thankful for a God who does hold:).

8. Sweet, sweet, sweet, plus a little salty…what a beautiful day. Blessings my friend.

9. Too funny! Congrats again on the book! How exciting to get a box full!

10. What a beautiful post. A blessing of a day!

11. Christy says:

You’ve got me a little teary this morning, Boomama. Such a sweet post. What a good reminder of watching for all the good gifts God gives us in each day.

12. Annette says:

Sounds like your afternoon at the yogurt shop was a hoot!! What a gift God gives us in laughter. I would love to get your book. I see a purchase coming up! Thanks so much for your words. I admit, I had to laugh at the picture of the ladle going up to the mouth!!

13. So very precious! Thanks for sharing the moments that matter. Can’t wait to read your book!

14. What a wonderful day! Excited to read your book!

15. Nancy D says:

Love, love, love. The box of books, the sunset, the yogurt, and you. And the cookie dough reminds me of the time I saw a rather, um, round, older woman waddling down the salad bar at the steak house. She scooped up a spoonful of potato salad, plopped it on her plate, licked that big ole spoon and then slammed it back down in the serving bowl. Never since have I been able to eat anything on any kind of buffet line that’s served with a spoon. Forks, people. We’re less likely to lick forks.

16. Literally jumping up and down for you. What a sweet thing when God quadruple-stacks blessings into one day- the hygienic hilarity, the tuck-it-away talk, the book bonanza and the speak-to-me sunset. (I’m sure dinner was delicious too, but I’ve reached far beyond the limit of appropriate alliteration.)
    Fortunately, Mom-hearts can hold a whole lot of joy at once. Thank you for sharing yours with us!

17. Sophie, I’m so happy for you. Congratulations on your book. I remember opening the box with my first books–and then promptly closing it. It felt a little like a box full of snakes. How fun to share this with your sweet son.
    Hugs and blessings!

18. BethA says:

Oh, Sophie. This totally swelled my heart. Life has been kinda hard lately, and it is so precious to be reminded that God holds me every minute of every day. Thanks for this post. And a thousand congratulations on your book. Can’t wait to get one and hopefully meet you at a book signing. Are you coming to Houston? Please???

19. haha love it. The kiddos all the time say “she ain’t got no home training.” And it always tickles me. Also, SO excited about the books!! :-) yay!

20. Only you can make me die out laughing and tear up in the same blog entry! As a woman, that is my standard of success for anything I read/watch/listen to!! I love the story about your sweet little boy…I can so identify, since I have one, as well, who is ten! There’s nothing like ’em!!!

21. KimberlyOKC says:

Here’s what got to me…that man saying that you don’t need much more than a beautiful sunset to hold you. A sky like that is a bold statement from God that He is on His throne and still loving us and still giving to us, ever present in our lives. It seemed like that man looked at the skies and was thinking about his eternal home and tho life here on earth gets hard and petty and dirty, God reminds us “I’M HERE, LOOK UP!! IF I CAN DO THIS…I’VE GOT YOU.” Thanks for this post. So many reminders to take those moments and let time stand still for a bit.

22. Everything about this post made me smile and want to hug you.
    and eat cookie dough.

23. I’m crying. In the library. Such a sweet post.

24. Emily says:

Totally tearing up! What a sweet post. Thankful that He holds! (And congrats on the book … new to your blog, but can’t wait to read it!)

25. Karen says:

We had the same beautiful sunset in Tupelo! Sadly I was on the ballfield and couldn’t take a picture.

26. Stacy says:

And this post is the reason we all love you, BooMama. You have such a way with words. At one minute I am laughing out loud and the next I have tears in my eyes. What a blessing you are to all of us!! Can’t wait to read the book!!

27. I am so excited about your book that I can not even stand it! Was supposed to take a favorite book to my girls’ getaway this past weekend and desperately wanted to take your’s. I guess I will just have to send all my girls their very own copy when it comes out! I am super over-the-top proud to call you friend! Love from the desert!!

28. Happy crying. So beautiful.

29. How exciting!

30. I heard this a long time ago and it stayed with me:
    God could have given us a black and white world but HE loved us so much HE gave us color.
    PTL

31. Denise says:

I have been reading your blog for quite some time, although I rarely comment. I am so proud of you for writing a book! I remember thinking years ago that you should write one. Today’s post reminds me of some of those really special posts you’ve written over the years. The ending completely caught me by surprise. Such great words he spoke — drinking in God’s beauty does wonders for the soul. A little Salty to cut the Sweet is such a perfect desription of your writing. Looking forward to reading your book!

32. You are a wise mama to know that frozen yogurt is the way to learn the innards of a boy’s soul. Very wise.

SO EXCITED ABOUT THE BOOK!!!!

33. What a fantastic post! This is why I love you :) That box of books, how exciting!! I can’t wait to get my copy. Yep and now I want some cookie dough….