Unrelated

1. Despite the fact that I’ve always been devoted to the flour tortilla, I find that I’m developing some affection for the corn tortilla.

2. In fact, I bought corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas at the grocery store this week, and now I’m sitting here thinking, “YOU STARTED A BLOG POST BY TALKING ABOUT TORTILLAS?”

3. Yes. Yes, I did.

4. Sometimes, I reckon, a tortilla is the highlight.

5. The other earth-shattering development around here is that our Publix is being remodeled.

6. I am of the personal opinion that until the remodeling is finished, they should think about changing their slogan to “Like a rat in a maze.”

7. Because my goodness at the confusion.

8. Earlier today, in fact, Melanie called when I was getting ready to check out at the Publix, and I told her that I feel like customers should receive a complimentary parting gift after they successfully navigate the remodeling madness.

9. My suggestion for the parting gift is some sort of nerve pill.

10. And when I was talking to Melanie, a woman overheard me, and she said, “Honey, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’m just as undone as I can be by this whole thing. Truth be told, I’m so rattled I can’t even remember what I came in here for.”

11. I totally understood what she was saying. If I hadn’t had my grocery list with me, I would’ve just thrown a bunch of tortilla chips in the cart and called it supper.

12. The tortilla chips were the closest item to the front door, by the way.

13. I should’ve cut my losses and gotten out of there before I wasted fifteen minutes trying to find the frozen blueberries.

14. Not to mention that I think we can all agree that the shampoo has absolutely no business being over by the bread.

15. That doesn’t even make good sense.

16. In other news, I don’t understand why everybody on Revenge is whispering.

17. Because all the whispering makes me want to scream at the TV and tell everybody to SPEAK UP, ALREADY.

18. I’m looking at you, Emily Amanda Thorne Clarke.

19. Also.

20. Tonight’s low is 48 degrees.

21. I realize that 48 degrees is practically shorts weather for some of you midwesterners / northerners / East Coast dwellers, but here in Alabama, on May 6th, 48 degrees is BRISK.

22. I wouldn’t be at all sad if D decided to build a fire.

23. Pretend that there’s a transition right here.

24. You know how you hear a song and it doesn’t really resonate with you – and then you hear it a few months later and you’re quite certain that you’ll love it for the rest of your life?

25. That’s the way I feel about this OneRepublic song.

26. Okay – I believe this series of disconnected sentences has gone on long enough.

27. After all, tonight’s episode of Dancing With the Stars isn’t going to watch itself, now is it?

28. Hope today was a good ‘un, y’all.

Comments

1. Sonya says:

I know just what you mean about the Publix. It totally freaked me out because I didn’t see it coming. I had a long chat with men in seafood about why in the world they were going to tinker with what was already a pretty good set up. I think they are trying to bring a little “whole foods/fresh market” approach to it, but it sure is a mess right now.

2. Elise says:

We all need a “sleeve on” with this weather Sis. I can’t even comment on how many times I’d go through that Pubix and endure the mass confusion if they were giving a way NERVE PILLS as parting gifts Missy ;x

3. Oh, I feel your pain!! I remember when they remodeled our grocery store. Just about the time I would get things figured out, they would then start working on another section and completely rearrange the already completely rearranged stuff. Lovely. Just lovely. In no circumstances should this ever, ever be allowed.

Best of luck with the Publix situation. Be strong. Be brave. Be ready to order take out…

4. You know what I wish grocery stores would do? Put the soup cans in alphabetical order and leave them that way.

And, unless it’s a full scale remodel, don’t move things around randomly every other week or so.

Is anyone else upset by the changes to the Chik-Fil_A menu? No Chicken Strip Salad and no Ceasar Wrap. I was bummed when I went tonight.

5. Confession: I don’t believe I’ve ever tried a corn tortilla.

And also, we don’t have a Publix. But if we did, I’d be there in a heartbeat because The Wal-Marts is on my last nerve. Even if I only have 7 items on my list, I always leave with 5 items not crossed out, after having found the exact spot where what I want should be, but oh, they’re out of size 1 Luvs… and cinnamon… and my mascara… and dog food… and baby shampoo… and Camelia brand beans… and any good flavor of Kool-aide.

6. Aubrey says:

I cannot tell a lie. I tried so hard to “Like” 16-18. I was looking all over the place for the dang button, before I remembered I was not on “the Facebook.” And I laughed my way through the entire list. Your blog brings me great joy. Can’t wait for your book!

7. Our Publix in Alabaster just got a soup bar. I thought that was very snazzy.
    We went through the “change” about two years ago. I feel your pain. I remember them switching the bread aisle & then all of our hamburgers became hamburger steaks in the Hudspeth house.
    Have a great day, Sophie!!

8. Target close to my house is remodeling…went there to buy a soy candle (read they are nice)….couldn’t find them…asked….they were next to sporting goods….asked where sporting goods were now….am not for sure the time spent to locate/buy a $5.00 candle was worth it. Just thankful I saw quite a few associates to ask my questions…next time I’m asking for a map. ha.

As always enjoy your words and the smile they bring to this grammy.

9. Girl, every time we finish watching the first five minutes of revenge, I leaned in close to my husband and whisper “I think I need a hearing aid. ” And he, without fail, whispers back no it’s just this stinkin’ show!”

Also, power to the corn tortilla.

10. Hilarious! It must be the season for remodeling–they are doing that to my Kroger. It is SUCH. A. PAIN. The toothpaste is all by itself on one end of the store by the construction curtain of plastic. The chips are in an area where there are signs that say: CAUTION: UNEVEN FLOORS! I felt like it was a walk of shame to even enter that area, but we needed tortilla chips!

11. Hate it when they mess up a good grocery store. Must be grocery store remodeling season or something.

12. Margaret says:

The cereal at our newly remodeled Ingles ( dislike this store) is over by the stationary and pencils?????? Asked Publix to build a store here and was told that the demographics did not support one. Whatever that means. At least at Publix, when they get through they give you a map.

13. Brenda says:

Well, here’s the good news: when they finish the remodel, they’ll give you a new map of the store. This is a most necessary aid to reorganizing your shopping list so that it can be in aisle order. I may or may not be able to speak to this from personal experience of a Dillon’s (Kroger in my town) remodel a few years ago. The satisfaction one experiences when shopping with a fresh list makes up for the remodel angst.

14. Shelley says:

I shop at the same Publix and I was in there for.ev.er on Sunday trying to figure out where everything was…and my list was short! :) I think it’s only going to get worse before it gets better!

15. Kellie says:

They completely rearranged our Publix. I mean is there really a NEED to completely move things around? The peanut butter is now on the same aisle as the bread and while I understand that makes more sense that is not where I go to look for it!

And that is so funny about the corn tortilla. I recently made Honey Lime Enchiladas (six sisters blog I think) and I used corn tortillas. Yum! I don’t know how I have not used them before!

16. Homemade corn tortillas are delish and preferable to me over flour:))

17. I love a corn tortilla. I love how it tastes of course, but I love how it smells even more. Does that make me weird? Oh well, I don’t care if it does. And there is NOTHING better than a hot corn tortilla smeared with butter, rolled up, and then dipped into queso. Amen.

18. KimberlyOKC says:

Loved #23!!

19. Ahhh, BooMama, I can’t remember how I found your blog but I’m so glad I did. You totally crack me up.

p.s. I agree with whoever said the soup should be alphabetized. It’s all I want for Christmas.

20. I have a confession, I actually stopped shopping at my local grocery store and started at a completely new one across town just because they remodeled. I figured if I had to relearn something, it was just as easy to start somewhere else. Flawed logic? Maybe.

Stopping by from Shay’s post today. Glad we got to contribute together! I love your blog already.

Alison

21. I get sensory overload in grocery stores even when I do know where I’m going. The new and improved Publix has nearly sent me over the edge twice now. Andrew says they’ve got extra staff there to help people now which is good. I’ll be easy to spot as the one between the baby food and the potato chips, sucking my thumb and crying.

22. Corn tortillas with butter smeared on them are the best! I’m so looking forward to meeting you at the AR Women Bloggers Conference. Can’t wait!

23. bahaha… this post cracked me up. I am a first time reader and think you are just the kind of blog for me. I’ll be sticking around :) Thanks for the Wednesday morning laugh (oh- it’s Wednesday already here in Australia).