The Big Boo Cast, Episode 23

So yesterday I was sitting outside The UPS Store while I wrapped up a conversation with Melanie. The conversation only lasted about five whole minutes because I was bound and determined to plow through my to-do list, and Mel was on her way to eat lunch with a friend. But just as we were about to hang up, she said, “Hey. We should try to podcast sometime soon.”

And I said, “Okay. How about tomorrow?”

And she said, “Sounds good.”

So we did. We recorded a podcast. And in addition to that, we managed to record a podcast where 1) you can actually hear both of us 2) the Internet connection was reliable and 3) I was able to upload the file without incident.

I am totally unfamiliar with how to respond given this unprecedented series of events.

Anyway. We cover all sorts of stuff: college baseball, working out, the length of shorts, phobias, skin care, and Taylor Swift. I can’t promise that it’s entertaining, but I can promise that it’s, you know, there. And quite frankly that is more than I’ve been able to say for the last eleven months.

Please do enjoy.

You can click here to listen. Or here. Or, as always, you can subscribe on iTunes if you’re feeling particularly fancy.

Comments

1. Anytime is just fiiiiiine with me, just fiiiiiine me!

(Name the animated movie, dare ya’!)

2. I’m feeling particularly fancy. Yayyyyyy!

3. Yay!!!! So glad to start my morning with you gals!

4. Just finished listening to your podcast and it reminded me of the days I sat eavesdropping on my mother’s conversations with her girlfriends. You two are a hoot! Thanks for the fond memories and for bringing a smile to our faces.

5. Look at y’all! Fancy. My FAV part of that whole conversation was the first 10 minutes of baseball talk! Gonna be a fun day. But hey, let’s keep it to 9 innings? These late nights are about to kill me!

6. Whitney says:

Whoop whoop!!!! I can’t wait to drive home from work and listen!
    Thanks, ladies!

7. Oh, I’m crying y’all are so funny! As I said in a comment to Melanie, y’all are my people.

Love y’all!

8. Mary Kat's Mom says:

Oh, you girls!!! You had me laughing so hard!!! And Sophie, 47 pitches per pitcher?!? You are such an impressive girl!!! Phobias and all. Thanks for the fun I just had with you two.

9. JustBetty says:

The podcast music started. My heart raced so fast I had to hit Pause for just a second and ask myself, “Has this become an idol?”

Love y’all. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard I wheezed.
    :::studying the sciences::: just ’bout did me in.

10. Catherine says:

So I have never commented before on your blog, but just had to let you know that I too suffer from trypophobia. Before today I never knew it was an actual phobia or that anyone else felt this way too! I can remember from my childhood watching “the neverending story” and having to close my eyes every time that big dog was on the screen because of the bubbly texture on his fur. I also have pictures from when I was young on the beach crying my eyes out because of the barnacles on the rocks. I just googled “fear of raised circles” and one website showed a lotus seed pod and it literally sent my heart rate through the roof! It’s good to know there is someone else out there that is a freakish as myself:)

11. Miss B says:

How is this even possible? I had never heard of trypophobia until ten minutes ago, and now I am about come unglued! My skin is crawling, and I might throw up. This is horrifying!

12. You two are so blessed to have each other……my best friend of over 60 years tried to take her life 2 years ago……she was not successful but she has cut everyone out of her life inspite of repeated attempts to reconnect…….until that time we shopped……ate…..laughed…..traveled….did so many everyday things together……..I’m happy for you guys…..but it did make me cry to think of all we are missing.
    Thanks for listening.

• anotherlisa says:

pam, i am praying for you and your friend. don’t give up on her, and don’t take it personally. depression is an illness; is there any family/ person who is lovingly insisting she get help? keep the faith alongside your treasured memories. maybe your friend can turn a corner.

13. Y’all have made my day. SERIOUSLY.

14. P.S. I was a political science major and am now in law school. I will have to explain to my sister the nursing major the next time she wants to talk about growths that I did not go to school to “practice the sciences.” Maybe she’ll finally get the point. ;)

• That cracks me up. My friend is an OT, and she loves to talk about wounds and growths and sutures and stuff. It is a challenge for me. :-)

15. Trypophobia…there is a name for my weird repulsion to certain instances of organic holes. I’m fine with the lotus plant, the tree trunk, the beehives (barely). But there is one thing I am most definitely NOT fine with, ever.

You talked about trypophobia…and then you talked about warts. SEED WARTS, to be exact.

WERE YOU TRYING TO SEND ME OVER THE EDGE?????!!!

16. Heather says:

I googled trypophobia and nearly jumped out of my skin!! I laughed so hard at you explaining this issue, but at the same time I was totally agreeing with you the entire time. It just makes my skin crawl. Thanks for sharing….I think!

17. What a fun time, do it again for us soon!

18. “I WAS AN ENGLISH MAJOR!” I howled! I wasn’t an English major (Music Ed), but I totally relate! I thought Melanie was going to pass a kidney stone she was laughing so hard! As was I…

And, on behalf of those of us above the magic Mason/Dixon line who tend to strangle on our diphthongs, please continue to pronounce “oil” like it is a one syllable word. We tend to mangle it into a three syllable word “o-ee-ul” around here. Your pronunciation is much nicer and far more succinct.

Thanks for making my Friday so much fun!

19. Dear Sophie,

I love it and LOVE you!

Love,
    The Squeakiest Wheel you have ever known…. :)

20. Melissa H says:

I enjoyed the podcast. I had never heard of trypophobia, but I HAVE IT!

You do realize that the elderly sit around having descriptive conversations about skin diseases and warts? At least you weren’t doing it at the dinner table!

21. Aunt Annie says:

Your new blog page design is beautiful!

22. Victoria says:

This just makes my day. Looking forward to reading your book on the beaches of South Walton in just a couple more weeks. And I hope this doesn’t sound stalker-ish, but your book will better for those of us who listen to your podcasts, know your voice, and can read and hear your book in your voice. So excited! :)

23. Victoria says:

I just googled that phobia. Oh heavens. Those pictures. They are forever engrained in my mind. That is just mean. Especially that scalp funk.

24. I LOVE your new blog design! And I always love the podcasts! Since this one was so easy for y’all this time, maybe you will do them more often. :) Please?

25. Jennifer Bice says:

Love your podcasts! Just recently went back and listened to every single one of them.
    I was tickled to hear you had a new one this year :)
    and I second Sue S comment, since it was so easy …please do more!
    Can’t wait to read your book!