Just To Clarify About The Whole “Dot” Thing

Last week Melanie and I went to Nashville to record the opening video for the next dotMOM event, which will be September 20-21 in Chattanooga. And I think I used the wrong lingo in the previous sentence, because Mel and I didn’t do any of the actual recording since we do not know how to operate large video cameras, so I guess it’s more accurate to say that we did a little light acting for the video while someone else recorded us. Don’t even get me started about how awkward I feel in front of a camera, not to mention my life-long resistance to any form of skit, but we really did have so much fun. The LifeWay folks make it a blast. Plus, Angie was with us, and OH, THE LAUGHING.

During our lunch break we were sitting around with our good friend Paige, and we were chatting about all of our dotMOM fun over the last couple of years. It’s such a laid-back (but very well-organized) conference with so much flexibility in the schedule, and you’d better believe that the teaching is solid and challenging and encouraging and thought-provoking. I would totally go even if I weren’t emceeing, and that is saying something because do you know what I enjoy more than just about anything? BEING AT HOME.

Anyway, at some point in our conversation I mentioned that I’ve had several people tell me that they’d really like to go to the conference – but they don’t have blogs. The first couple of times it happened I was BEFUDDLED, but then I realized that “dotMOM” sounds like it must somehow be associated with tech-y things. Like maybe it’s a conference for moms who enjoy social media or something. Angie and Melanie said that they’ve heard the same kind of comments from people, so we agreed that there might be room for some clarity on this particular issue.

So. Here are a few bits of (hopefully) helpful info about dotMOM:

1) You do not have to be a blogger to attend dotMOM. You do not have to be on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram. You don’t need a smartphone or a laptop or an iPad. You don’t even have to have email, though I’m betting that if you’re reading this post, you’re probably covered on the email front. Just a guess.

2) The purpose of dotMOM is to “encourage and refresh you, connect you with other moms, celebrate motherhood, and draw you closer to Christ.”

3) dotMOM is for ALL MOMS. Young moms, moms-to-be, middle-aged moms, older moms, grandmoms, great-grandmoms, moms of one, moms of many, ALL THE MOMS. One of the really neat things that happens at dotMOM is that there’s lots of room and time for discussion, so the perspective of moms who have some experience under their belts is invaluable.

And now that I’ve been annoyingly detailed about the purpose of the conference, here are a few MORE details about dotMOM Chattanooga because oh have mercy we would be so tickled to see some of y’all there.

Teaching – Vicki Courtney, John Croyle, Jen Hatmaker, and Angela Thomas are teaching the main sessions in Chattanooga. That’s a mighty fine line-up.

Worship – Lauren Chandler is leading worship. Come on.

Break-outs – You can chart your own course during break-out time. During the four break-out blocks during the conference, you’ll find sessions on all manner of topics related to marriage and family.

All righty. I believe I’ve covered the basics. I hope I’ve clarified the “dot.” And I can tell you from firsthand experience that Chattanooga will have lots of laughs, lots of time with friends, lots of great teaching, and hopefully lots of rest because the Saturday morning session doesn’t start until 9:30 (you can find a detailed schedule and a list of all the break-outs right here). Right now the early bird registration price is still in effect, but that window closes on July 22. Just passing along the info for those of you who enjoy a discount. Hotel info is here under “location” if you scroll down the page.

Finally, here’s the video that Mel and I did last year for dotMOM 2012. I continue to be mortified by my hair, but it was very humid and and one can of Frizz Ease hair spray can only do so much good. Also, if anybody would like to pass along a little touch of the botox for that deep vertical crease above my mouth, I’d be all for it.

GOOD TIMES.

The end.

Comments

1. Oh, I’m so relieved to know I can go to dotMOM. I remember being confused about it last year. Maybe I can go this year! My baby will be 7 months old at that time though, so that should be interesting. I might have to wait one more year. Are you doing it the next year too?

2. If I come to Chattanooga, you hafta wear the crown!

3. Oh my stinkin heck…that was hilarious!

Maybe dotMOM needs a beauty pageant next year? What would the titles be? Little Ms. Soccer Mom? Ms. Still Has the Baby Fat? Ms. Menopause Hot Momma? I would SO win that category!!

4. “How did I win? Ventriloquism and a Medley.” OH. MY. WORD. SO. FUNNY. Dying laughing. Just dying. I love this so so much. Thank you for posting!

5. LOVED. IT! !!!!!!!

6. Julie B says:

So funny!
    Thank you so much.
    Life is very tough right now, and the laughs I got from the video were much-needed.
    I’m still snickering. :-)
    Again, thanks!
    God Bless.

7. Ha! That video was awesome! I have the “dot” portion of things down, but not the “MOM.” But I always love hearing about it!

8. Amy in PA says:

That made my day!! You’re both the best!!

9. Oh, my stars! That video is fantastic, can’t wait to see the new one!

10. Nothing like a good laugh with that first cup of coffee!!! That video is great!!!

11. So hysterical.

12. Oh.MY.Goodness. So much fun. Who does not love a pagent with hula-hooping? I need a tiara fix now.

13. Love the video!! You two are brilliant actors! You can play yourselves if your books become movies!

14. That was hysterical! Loved it!

15. :)

I won’t officially be livin’ here, but I’ll still have a house in Chatty :). So I might just have to return for .MOM (even though I DO have a blog).

You make my heart happy.

16. My best friend and I were at last year’s and it was such fun. We went to Chuy’s in Bham for a meal afterwards and saw you and Mel. If I wasn’t afraid of appearing stalkerish, I would have stopped and said, “Hi.” lol

I can’t make the Chattanooga event but, since Nashville is home, you better believe I’ll be there!

17. heatherwhittaker says:

My babies are so small! Missed you last week! H

18. My bff Sarah and I have long lamented the fact that we are not yet Moms, so we are unable to attend the conference. Although we have considered getting dogs, to put us partly there. (Yes, I am fully aware there is a big difference between a dog and a child.) We just hope y’all are still doing this in 5-10 years, when we are moms.

19. a group of us went to the dotMOM last spring. it was great!!! you and mel were fantastic, and my new bffs in case you didn’t know :) i was so challenged by all of the lessons and presenters. my toes were stepped on a bit, and i loved it!!! not sure our little texas group can make it to tennessee, but we will for sure see yall in texas in the spring!!! thanks for what you do. and, the video…oh my word…hillarious!!!

20. That video was hysterical. Y’all are so talented and just as funny on video as you are on your blog.

21. Melanie L. says:

So funny! You guys rock.

22. Bridget W says:

LOL Sophie, yall are so cute!
    Hail State!

23. Mary Kat's Mom says:

I cannot express how much I loved that video!!!! LOVED IT and I am so proud of you for winning that contest!!!! Post more of these if you have them!!!

24. Pretty sure my sister and I were CRACKING UP at about 12:30am about this movie. I can’t wait to be eligible to go to DotMom! I won’t be a mom to be for at least another year!

25. PRECIOUS, just precious.

26. Shelley in Ft. Worth says:

Thank you. I now have iced coffee sprayed ALL over my computer screen. A warning would have been nice! Oh my, that was awesome!!!

27. Sophie, you and beauty pageants=bliss.

Love !

28. Stephanie C says:

Love the video! Can’t wait to see this one. Thanks for the clarification on the dotMom. i thought it was for women bloggers only too. Maybe another year!

29. Oh. Sweet. Heaven’s. To. Betsy.

I have never laughed harder than to watch that video.
    “No one likes the hula-hoop”.

That was good stuff right there!!

30. Rachael b says:

Video=TOO FUNNY! Thanks for the dotMOM explanation. Wish I could attend!

31. Hey Sophie – First of all, that video had me cracking up! Secondly, I am really hopping on here because I just finished your book (literally, like 2 minutes ago) and ADORED IT. Oh my goodness! Girl, you are SO TALENTED. Like whoa…so, so talented. I feel like the marketing phrase “you’ll laugh! you’ll cry!” is so over-used, but in this case it is absolutetly true. In fact, I was reading it on the metro on my way in to work and in that 30 minute timespan managed to snort laugh (I was attempting to hold it in but it backfired and came out as a snort) and then 10 minutes later was wiping away tears. Anyway, I have been reading your blog and have always thought you were amazing, but this book just blew me away. I loved it. Congratulations to you and I hope you are writing more!!!

32. Rebecca says:

I literally gu-fAWED out loud when I watched this! So stinkin funny! The whole pagent thing cracks me up anyway. What a grand way to start my day before heading out to Music Camp at church helping the kiddos! Thanks for always being a pick me up! BTW~just had my pastor ask me the last 3 books I’ve read (not randomly, in a job context) and yours was THE FIRST! So, who knows where that may lead? : )

33. Loved the video. You guys are great!

34. The video was fantastic….I felt like I was seeing everyone in person, and it made me giddy happy…also, the B&N article was great…it’s been HOT (by central NY standards) here, and I don’t think we would survive summers in the south….winters? Would love to move in next door….is there a place where it is 72 degrees all year round?

I also had a pocket full of soap……..

35. My daughter watched the video with me. She asked if that was Honey Boo Boo. :)

36. I just finalized my arrangements to be there. Yea! Can’t wait to see you all and hear the teaching. It’s such a great conference!

37. Love the video and I REALLY wish I could come to dotMOM!!! We are taking some kiddos to Florida — but I’ll be praying it goes so well! :-)

38. Oh my!!!! That was the funniest thing I’ve seen in a LONG time!!!!! Just adore you two!!!!! XOXOXOXO :)

39. The video was too funny! I’d love to go this year! And I’m glad you clarified the whole “dot” thing because I’m not blogger-y enough to go to a Christian/Mommy/Blog conference LOL!

40. Your blog was the tipping point for me… I asked my bible study, and now 8 of us are registered to go to dotMom! Thanks for the reminder. Are you and Melanie hosting this year?

41. That was hilarious!!!

42. Jai@wifeof1momof4 says:

That video was just precious. Bless your heart. :) Still laughing.

43. Thank you so much for explaining who dotMom is for!!! I totally thought it was for mom bloggers so I completely dismissed the idea of going.

Tori

44. How did I not see that video last year? I don’t know but it is fantastic!

Trackbacks

1. […] explaining all the ins and outs of dotMOM on a great post she wrote a week or so ago. You can click here for all the dotMOM information you could ever hope […]