An Issue Of Earth-Shattering Importance

Earlier today I was fixing some lunch for Alex and his cousin, Joseph, and after I put their hot dogs on their paper plates (oh, we are fancy), I asked them what kind of chips they’d like on the side (again, FANCY). They both responded with the same choice, and much to my surprise, their answers prompted all manner of chips-related discussion.

See, I’ve been through my fair share of potato chip phases in my life. There have been times when there was nothing better than a Pringle – only to switch allegiances a few months later and cross over into the kettle-cooked camp. When I lived in Louisiana I was certain that Zapp’s Cajun Crawtators were the best (and certainly they are still high on my list), but after we settled in Alabama, I decided that Golden Flake Dill Pickle chips were my all-time favorite. Pregnancy did nothing to change my opinion.

Over the last few years I’ve dabbled in several of the strange and flavorful potato chip brands that our little neighborhood grocery store carries, and while I’ve enjoyed them, they’re not always the kinds of chips that you keep around to pack in your kids’ lunches. I’m still a sucker for a really good vinegar and salt chip, but if I’m going to enjoy a potato chip treat (and they really are a treat for me – I typically try to stay away from any sort of regular potato chip intake because I find them moderately to severely addictive), there’s one chip that’s been steady and true since I was about 15 years old.

IMG_2623

Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream.

We determined during today’s lunch discussion that it’s my all-time favorite.

It’s also the variety that Alex and Joseph picked to accompany their hot dogs, so clearly the cheddar and sour cream preference runs deep in our DNA.

So what about y’all? What’s your favorite kind of potato chips?

If it’s too difficult to pick just one, I totally understand. So please know that mentioning your potato chip runners-up is not only acceptable – it’s encouraged.

Comments

1. OMG…the Cajun Crawtator is without a doubt my favorite chip ever. I need not be left alone with the bag. Throw in a Diet Dr. Pepper {over ice in a styrofoam cup since I’m being specific} and it’s game over. Hope the beach is fabulous! Catch up with you soon!

XOXO-
    MEM

2. MemeGRL says:

I am with you on the Ruffles but if you ever have a chance to try Herrs-especially sour cream and onion or salt and vinegar-well, they are a culinary bonus of the mid-Atlantic for sure.

3. Salt and vinegar kettle chips. I’m absolutely not going to tell you what happened to the bag that i purchased less than a week ago. But know it was swift.

4. Well, my favorite chip is not of the potato variety, but rather the corn kind; Fritos. I prefer Fritos to any other kind of chip/pretzel/snack cracker.

If forced to choose a potato chip, tho, I would probably go with Ruffles (best with onion dip) or some kind of salt and vinegar chip.

And to complete this fascinating recital of my chip choices, when it come to tortilla chips, which are a staple here in Texas, I will confess that my favorites are not found at any of the great Tex-Mex restaurants we are so lucky to have here. No, my favorite tortilla chips are the ones at Chili’s! I’ll probably not be allowed in Los Cucos, Escalantes or Pappasitos ever again!

• I don’t live in Texas (I am in Pennsylvania), but I have to agree that the tortilla chips at Chili’s are amazing! Perfectly crisp, perfectly salty, so good! We have some good authentic Mexican restaurants here (although nothing like you do), and while their chips are good, they are not as good as Chili’s!

• If you have a Cantina Laredo restaurant anywhere near you, they serve the best tortilla chips in the country!

5. There are times when nothing hits the spot better than regular old Lay’s. It’s 11:37pm and now I want some. Closest thing I’ve got is some pork rinds (oy…nk [that started out as just “oy,” but then I couldn’t help myself]) and they just will not do.

6. Oh man, that’s a tough one as I’ve gone through some phases too and a lot of that depends on if I’m pregnant or not! I can’t seem to get enough of Chee-tos no matter what or when, so I’ll go with that! Are they even a chip? :-)

• Becky in 'Bama says:

OM-word. I eat Cheetos EVERYDAY – except maybe Sunday ’cause I don’t want Cheeto dust on my Sunday clothes. I may die of high blood pressure due to salt intake – but I’ll die happy. In my book, Cheetos is the breakfast of champions – I eat them with my coffee. Please don’t judge me harshly.

7. It changes but right now it’s Cape Cod sea salt & black pepper.

8. Kettle Brand Krinkle Cut Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper!! Often ON a sandwich or burger, of course.

9. Lisa G. says:

Sitting here right now with a fresh, new bag of Ruffles sour cream and onion. That I bought for my daughter, ahem…

10. My favorite has always been Chesapeake Bay Crab flavored by Herrs. They may only be available in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. They are so good, just full of Old Bay seasoning. If you are ever in our area, be sure to try some!

• YES!!!! I grew up in northern VA and I loved that chip– I have never seen it here in Alabama, but when I went to Florida recently on vacation, one of the convenience stores had snack-size Cheasapeake Bay Crab flavored. I may have embarrassed my husband just a little bit with my little dance in the aisle. :-D

11. Ginger Woods says:

My favorite chip is Golden Flake Sweet Heat. While I could eat these by the bag, I know that if if I have one that is it. I am definitely a jink food addict!

12. Sunchips, regular flavor, are my favorite at the moment.

13. Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles are the best! Without a doubt! They’re not too cheesy (like a Cheeto), they’re not too spicy (like a Dorito) and they’re not boring like a Lay. They’re perfection.

14. Lays Kettle Cooked Mesquite Barbecue!

15. Melissa says:

Sour Cream n’ Onion. Yummy!

16. Kettle brand Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper chips…with Barefoot Contessa Pan-fried Onion Dip. I might choose it as my last meal on this earth (but don’t hold me to it!) I too have to limit my chips to treats as I could make an embarrassing pig of myself if allowed to. I have decreed that when my son goes to college this fall, I will not purchase chips to “have around”, but only for parties. It remains to be seen what constitutes a party :)

17. Generally, my favorite flavor of potato chip is barbecue. And I love kettle chips, so I often enjoy the Sweet Mesquite Barbecue flavor by Cape Cod. However, the best potato chips I ever had are no longer made. They were by Eagle Brand snacks (which was a part of Anheiser-Busch), and they were called Hawaiian Kettle chips. They were really good. While most kettle chips are also really good, these were special.

For dipping, I prefer Utz ruffled potato chips, which are similar to Ruffles, but more like before Ruffles changed their ridges to be a little wider, like they are now. Uts still has a very narrow ridge, and I love that for dipping!

18. J. Johnson says:

My favorite potato chip, bar none, is Ballreich’s. They are made in Ohio, and they are more addictive than any other brand I’ve ever had. Once you’ve tasted them, no other chip will measure up.

19. I love Ruffles and Lays. I don’t buy them often because I can’t seem to stop eating them when i have them around. I really think it’s a million dollar idea to make chocolate coated potato chips and call them “chocolate chips”. I just need a business partner :)

20. Lay’s Sour Cream and Onion. With a slice of sharp cheddar cheese torn into strips and eaten on top. There is something about the crisp chip with the soft cheese that is just delightful. And now I need to figure out a way to have them for lunch…

21. Any kettle cooked brand of salt and vinegar. MMMM…..

22. I feel it my civic duty to tell you all about these http://www.businessinsider.com/steak-flavored-ruffles-introduced-2013-6….Ruffles Max Flame Grilled Steak chips. Words can’t even. I’m typically not even a chip eater unless there’s a tangy sour cream based dip involved but these chips? They rock my world. They taste just like eating a perfectly marinated and grilled steak, no dip required. HOW DO THEY DO THAT?

23. Wavy’s Hickory BBQ chips! They’re like Ruffles, but cost less at the Walmarts. Ruffles Sour Cream & Onion are great too! I don’t buy chips on a regular basis, cause them I’m the one that eats them. Living in TX, I ALWAYS have white corn tortilla chips on hand…cause Salsa is a food group for us!

24. I ADORE the cheddar and sour cream flavor. I think my absolute favorite are the baked ruffles!

• and then sadly I end up eating five times as many chips because they are the baked variety…

• Kathryn says:

Baked Ruffles sour cream and cheddar are my favorite too. They are on sale at Tom Thumb this week for $1.99 with some special deal I have, and it’s taking all my control not to buy bags and bags. Like so many others who have replied, I’ve learned not to keep them in the house. Pity when the sale is so good!

25. Debra D. says:

I’m the weirdo who doesn’t like any regular chips, no matter the flavor. But I do love plain baked ruffles. All the other chips taste really oily to me…blasted taste buds! They need to learn to adapt!

26. Growing up my favorite was sour cream and chives. As an adult I actually prefer Cheetos crunchy cheese flavored snacks over potato chips. Living in Argentina I am only able to get the regular Cheetos Puffs, so as soon as I hit American soil I nab me a bag of the crunchy style :)
    It’s not that I’m averse to chips, and I do like a good helping of salt and vinegar chips with my grilled cheese sandwich. I simply prefer the cheesy goodness of Cheetos.
    Living overseas, I have not tried many of the new flavors so I cannot say one way or the other how I feel about those. I believe it might be necessary to do a thorough investigation of flavors to determine if one might be good enough to supplant Cheetos in my affections.

27. Unfortunately, my favorite kind of chip is YES, PLEASE! I love those cheddar and sour cream chips, love love kettle chips, love bar-made chips, love plain old chips, Pringles, anything. Regular Ruffles with Hiland French Onion Dip might be my all time favorite. Which is why I never ever buy that combination. I can’t stop until I hit bottom, then I’ve been known to mix the remaining bits of chip in the remaining dip and eat it with a spoon. I need a 12 step program!

• Melanie L. says:

Ummm, I do that too… mix the chip bits with the rest of the dip in the bottom of the container and eat with a spoon….

28. Cheddar and sour cream! YES!!

But my all-time favorite would have to be….

Lay’s Garden Tomato & Basil.

Life. Changing. Seriously.

29. current fave is Zapp’s Voodoo chips, kinda bbq’ey with a hint of sour cream (only a teensy hint as i’m not a huge sour cream chip fan and please don’t shoot me I really am southern). My other fave is apparently obsolete as I’ve spent the better part of two summers searching for them; Herr’s ketchup flavor. Oh sweet mercy. Regular pringles sandwiched with a ketchup layer works in a bind but not quite the same. Please don’t judge me, I can’t take the pressure. And yes, I have scoured every truck stop, gas station, grocery store of every destination we’ve traveled to in the past two years and no, I don’t really have a life. :-(
    I do love me some Chips & Salsa but in my world that’s a meal not a snack so I’m not including them in my snack chip list. Of course Regular BBQ with a peanut butter & jelly sandwich and a glass of tea, well that’s just second only to tomato soup and grilled cheese in the scheme of best lunches ever! hmmmm, I wonder if we have any chips because 8:30 isn’t too early is it?

• Just recently had some Herr’s ketchup chips! Delish!!! I never meta chip I didn’t like..: except for Herr’s hot dog flavored chip. There something not right about that!

30. Rachel G. says:

I love a good chip too…but a few days ago I walked into my local Kroger store (I live in Richmond, VA) and was confronted by a display of Lay’s CHICKEN AND WAFFLES chips. Now, I can’t say I have tried them, but it just doesn’t sound like the type of chip I could develop an affinity for. I was honestly a little grossed out.

31. Ginny M. says:

Funyuns! Do those count as a chip? If not, regular plain ‘ole lays dipped in ketchup!

32. You know you’ve achieved blog success when you get 30+ comments on potato chip flavors ;-) This is cracking me up! I have to confess that when I was in elementary school I LOVED cheeseburger potato chips (made by Golden Flake)…how gross is that?! But, I’m totally with you on the sour cream & cheddar. It’s a potato chip classic. I also always enjoy Lays BBQ or if I’m feeling fancy, Mrs. Vicki’s BBQ chips!

33. Carol S in Florida says:

This is scary similar but Cheddar and Sour Cream has also been my favorite since I was about 15. I’m guessing that’s when they first came out. And I also developed a love for Zapps (pretty much all flavors) during our two year foray in Baton Rouge. As a runner up I would say those Lays Tangy Carolina Barbecue are my favorite in the Barbecue category:)

34. Kristina says:

Oh my word I love the Ruffles sour cream and cheddar they are my all time fave, a close second is the red bag of Doritos and I like to eat them with ranch dip!!

35. Definitely yes to the Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream! My hands-down favorite. But, I admit to enjoying most any Ruffles variety. I like the super crispy kettle-cooked chips on occasion. I am a snob when it comes to Lays brand chips – how could anyone find those grease-laden, textureless chip failures appealing?

36. Carolyn says:

I’ve never met a chip I didn’t like.

37. Whitney says:

OH, the Golden Flake Dill Pickle chips. We used to get those every time we went down to Gulf Shores. We’d pretty much have the corners of our mouths sore from eating so many that week. I was SO excited to see that Lays came out with Dill Pickle chips a few years back……NOT THE SAME.
    We can’t find Golden Flake here in Indiana. Every once in a while I will purchase the Lays Dill Pickle, HOPING they will have changed. Disappointed. Every. Time.

However, a plain ol’ Lays potato chip have been my favorites lately. :)

38. Kristen says:

My personal favorite is the kettle chip – salt and pepper flavor. I love them! But my family doesn’t care for them so I tend to not buy them just for myself.

My parents and grandparents, aunts/uncles, extended family are from Ohio and they love, love, love Mike-Sells chips. When someone goes up north to visit they typically have to bring back Mike-Sells for the rest of the family! Then they are reserved for a special treat!

• I live in southern Ohio and LOVE Mike-Sells chips! Every time we have visit family members, who have moved to PA and GA, we take several big bags of Mike-Sells with us.
      They are considered the best “hostess” gift ever (at least, to my family)!!!

39. trisha : ) says:

Wellll, neither are potato chips…. But :
    #1 – taro chips ( only found them in Hawaii, sigh.)
    #2 – blue corn tortilla chips

40. teresa stout says:

No matter how far I venture away from them I always come back to Lay’s plain potato chips

41. I enjoy a dill pickle chip or a salt & vinegar for sure. I remember the first time my mom brought home salt & vinegar chips – GAME CHANGER. But all in all, I enjoy a variety of chips. Cool Ranch Doritos taste like childhood. Cheese puffs taste like going to Grandma’s house – Grandpa always had cheese puffs. A good, thin, crispy, salty tortilla chip is nice to have around. We usually buy the variety packs for vending machines at Sam’s Club. I don’t love the excess packaging, but it’s better than throwing away half a bag of stale chips. My girls eat up the nacho Doritos in a flash. I usually get all of the BBQ. My husband eats the Fritos.

Oh! Did you ever eat Corn Nuts? They’re a little too solid (not crispy) for me generally speaking, but the ratio of flavoring to substance is good.

42. Julie B says:

Yup. Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream for us.
    They were my dad’s favorite (he actually fell asleep a few times in his chair with his hand still in the bag), and now they’ve become my son’s favorite. Everytime I see that bag of chips, I think of my dad. :-)

43. Becky in 'Bama says:

Well, unfortunately I’ve not eaten a sandwich in 30+ years (celiac disease, eating gluten free) BUT as a kid I loved a banana and peanut butter sandwich with plain Golden Flake potato chips on the sandwich. Years later I learned that Elvis Presley had copied me! “I’m all shook up.” AND now Bobby Flay routinely puts potato chips on all his burgers ‘for that note of crunch’ he says.

44. Kathy in Kansas says:

I love Nacho Cheese Doritos and Guy’s (a local brand) Green Onion Potato Chips. They are chipalicious!

45. Lay’s Sweet Carolina Barbecue….just enough vinegar to make them completely addicting, chili cheese Fritos and Great Value Jalepeno crunchers!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Hint of Lime! I have zero self control with these. I also love Garden Salsa Sun Chips and Doritos. I love a chip.

47. Reading all these reminds me of my childhood fave…bologna sandwich with Ruffles on the sandwich. Haven’t had it in hrpeard, but I may just have to change that…yum!!

48. Rachael b says:

I have to say that the Cheddar and Sour Cream are my all time favorite since High School (a couple *cough* twenty years ago, give or take…) I also love the Dill Pickle and salt and vinegar and sea salt and black pepper kettle! AND try the Augratin, mmmm! I will say that a plain Lay’s chip is always delicious!

49. Julie in Michigan says:

Sour cream and onion and salt & vinegar, just to name a few!

50. There needs to be a shout out for Miss Vickie’s chips….sweet chili and onion. Delish!

51. Lindsay says:

Zapp’s potato chips are my love language. (That, and sarcasm.)

If you like dill pickle chips, have you tried the Zapp’s Cajun Dill Gator-Tators? They’re amazing. I like them almost as much as the Cajun Crawtators, although my all-time-favorite Zapp’s flavor has to be the Tiger Tators that come out in the fall. But that’s just because I love anything in Purple and Gold :)

52. You always make me a smile. A hole entry about potato chips… you are my kind a gal!!

Frito’s have been my all time favorite ever since I was a little girl eating PB&J sandwiches with Kathleen Pereira at the kitchen table. My newest “treat” chip is the Kettle Honey Dijon flavored chips. Yummmy and tangy! My husband loves to tease me about my chips addiction too. Whenever we play a day out together he says “do you have your chips?”

Happy Tuesday!
    Lina

53. C Smith says:

Generally I only like plain chips. I prefer ones with ruffles, with french onion dip. I also like Cool Ranch Doritos and bbq kettle chips. But, my favorites are Funyuns, which aren’t really chips at all.

54. I just tried Ruffles Cheddar & Sour Cream for the first time ever because they were BOGO at Publix. They will definitely be added to my family’s chip rotation along with Lay’s Sweet Southern Heat BBQ, Dill Pickle, and Classic.

55. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! But I can not buy them on a regular basis. I am the only one in this fam of 5 that likes them and I would eat the whole bag. Moderate to severe addiction, for sure! Now, if my momma is visiting, that is another story. We will put a hurtin’ on a bag of SC and C!

56. P.s. frying up the morning’s bacon as I type….thought that was appropriate.

57. Potato chips are one of my favorite foods! I really like Ruffles and Lay’s brand of chips, but my all time favs are Grippo’s BBQ and any flavor of Mike-Sells. Whenever I buy a bag(s) of either kind at the grocery, I have to put them in the trunk so I won’t eat them on the way home!

58. Over here in the great Midwest, a woman from Wisconsin recently won the Lay’s potato chip contest with her “Cheesy Garlic Bread” idea. I haven’t been able to find them…yet…but when I do, I’m thinking they might be my favorite. Anyone try these yet?

• Yes and they are great. They taste JUST LIKE an order of really good cheesy garlic bread at your favorite restaurant but not too overpowering.

• Glad to know they are out there “somewhere.” I’ll just have to keep lookin’ although my waistline is probably hoping that I don’t find them. Ha!

• Tried the Cheesy Garlic Bread Lay’s during the promo/voting period and thought they were horrible. The only chips my kids and I have ever unanimously agreed were awful – after we tasted them the bag went in the trash.

59. Love those Cheddar and Sour Cream babies. Now, please explain to this near-Yankee: Do the Crawtators taste like crawfish?

60. Catherine says:

I am in complete agreement with you on the Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream chips. Nothing can beat those in my opinion.

61. Lori B. says:

This may just put you over the edge, but I live in the CHIP Capital of the World! Yes, that’s right I live in Brewster, Ohio where Shearer’s Potato Chips are made. We have an outlet store here and the joke is that my husband spends his allowance there every week. They have so many different to choose from, but I think my favorite are “Grandpa Shearer’s” they are deliciously crispy and you just can’t get enough of them!

62. I agree…the cheddar sour cream ruffles are the BEST…but you must try them by dipping them in cottage cheese…yes, plain ol’ cottage cheese. I’m not a fan of it on it’s own, but with these chips…yummy!

63. I admit it–I am a potato chip/salty snack addict. My all-time favorites are Grippos BBQ. They’re available here in Kentucky and in Ohio, and they’re wonderful. Hot but worth it!!

64. Melissa says:

You mention some serious, important topics on this blog and I am so thankful for you =) Cheddar and sour cream are a good chip that I don’t get often enough. Now I really want some. I tend to go through phases with chips and eat a certain kind for a while, then get sick of it and move to a different flavor. Snyder’s BBQ and the Garden Salsa Sun Chips might be my favorites, but if you ask me tomorrow it might be something different =)

65. Rebecca says:

I checked all the other chip mentions and did not see my favorite– Munchos!! They are so crispy with the just right taste of salty. I especially love the ones that are curled up instead of flat.

• Stephanie says:

Mmmm, Munchos! I had forgotten all about those!! A bag of those and a Dr. Pepper carried me through lunch at college almost every day.

66. I rarely eat potato chips, but I do love the Hawaiian chips.

67. I do love me some Cheddar and Sour Cream – but I have lately been buying the Kroger brand of them – they are a little bit thicker, reminding me of those O’Grady’s chips from my days at Moorhead [ go ‘head, Mo’head]
    I also do love the Herr’s Steak flavored chips – oh me.
    And this has flung a craving upon me.

68. Molly P. says:

I am a sucker for Zapps Vodoo flavor. Have you tried them? They have a salt and vinegar flavor with a little hint of sweetness. Oh. My. Yum.

69. Therese says:

In the Chicagoland are we love our Jay’s Bar-be-Que chips. They turn your hands red, but it’s worth it!

70. Christie says:

I can’t eat chips because of blood sugar issues–plus because I’ll eat a whole bag–but I’ll give a shout out to Blue Diamond Bold Habanero BBQ almonds. I just discovered them and they are soooo yummy for snacking. Like a spicy BBQ chip with all the fat but none of the carbs! :-)

71. Well, I’m really a corn chip kind o’ girl — Fritos for me!

72. Sophie, you are my Chip Soul Mate. Ruffles for me. And ALWAYS the cheddar and sour cream.

73. Oh my stinkin heck…I had forgot about that flavor. I see a trip to the Walmarts tomorrow!!

74. I try to stay away from the chips myself but when I need some comfort food nothing beats a regular ole Golden Flake Original flavored chip! That brings back so many childhood memories of summers. A peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, a pile of chips and a big glass of chocolate milk! Pure Heaven!!

75. Nate's Mom says:

My all-time fave is Grandma Utz’s, but my belly does not agree with my taste buds, so I can have very few of these chips. I do enjoy Lay’s, and most Dorito flavors, and I’ve never heard of Golden Flake, but judging by all the comments, I’ll bet they’re good!

76. Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream…..of course! Yummo!!!

77. I love Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream, we actually have them in our vending machine at work. It really is tough to nail down a favorite. I also love pretty much any salt and vinegar chips. But my favorite of that flavor is the Lays Sea Salt & Vinegar Kettle cooked. I also love fritos and cheetos…lol

78. I spent a couple years in England growing up and it heavily influenced my chip list, my favorites are Walkers Smoky Bacon or Roasted Chicken but they are not easy to find in Colorado. Lay’s Chicken and Waffle are pretty amazing. And I’ve never had a salt & vinegar I didn’t love – my children have had then since they were old enough to eat solids and we don’t let the house run out of S&V. My chip love is pretty boundless.

79. I’ve been known to eat vinegar and salt potato chips until my mouth feels like sandpaper, ensuring that the next day’s wardrobe revolved around elastic-waist pants. And, while I’m not proud to admit it but certainly can’t deny it, in high school I had a mad addiction to Funyuns and Munchos.

80. Count me as another Salt & Vinegar girl! I also want to say that Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream will always:

a) be far superior to their Lay’s counterpart
    b) make me think of high school slumber parties – we never had one without those chips & a big ‘ole pan of brownies!

81. Lisa McClure says:

Lay’s Pepper Relish (limited edition) were my all-time favorites, but I can do serious damage to Cajun Crawtators, salt & vinegar or dill pickle chips as well.

82. I’ve always preferred plain or original Lays potato chips. Also, mixing a bag of potato chips with original Fritos is a wonderful flavor combo.

83. Sarah Kate in WA state says:

I am now completely craving chips (of any kind) along with one of those veggie and cheese bagel sandwiches that Melanie linked to earlier….drool!

84. Cheddar and sour cream is my fav too. Although, thanks to all my boys, I’ve also become a fan of Doritos in basically every flavor. They still haven’t quite won me over to the flaming hot cheetos camp yet . . .

85. There are several factors to identify to get a true answer:

First, is there a dip involved? If I’m dipping a chip there are two requirements — Wavy Plain Lays or Plain Ruffles, and the dip has to be ranch. But the ranch packet mixed with sour cream only, not ranch dressing poured into a bowl.

Second, are the BLT Lays available with the ranch / sour cream dip? If so, THAT is the chip of preference. But they aren’t out often in the chip aisle. It’s like hide and seek from week to week.

Third, if no dips are involved, then I’ll stick with a good old bag of lays Sour Cream and Onion.

Good grief I sound like Sally Albright.

86. It’s hard to pick one! My favorites for dipping are Mike Sell’s Groovy plain chips… made here in Dayton, Ohio. http://www.mike-sells.com/products.php?cid=1 My mom used to have a friend who had moved to Arizona and requested that these chips be shipped to her. :)

I also love the Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream… and any brand of dill pickle flavor.. and most recently I’ve discovered Lay’s Sweet Heat BBQ Chips and find them rather addictive.

87. Nary a mention of the Pringles? The can of dill is perfect with a book and an Arnold Palmer for an hour at the beach.

Also there are surfboard shaped chips at Trader Joe’s-highly recommend with the nutritious quad flavored hummus. TJ’s also has chocolate-covered chips. #happyplace

88. Husman’s HoneyBBQ is definitely in my top five and I love a good Salt and Vinegar chip – again Husman’s is pretty good – Sun Chips also rate pretty high – the Salsa one’s are my favorite – and just plain ole chips with ranch dip – usually lays or husman’s. Ok, now I want some potato chips.

89. I know I’m late to the potato chip party but I just have to say I LOVE Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles, Golden Flake Pickle Chips, Zapps, Kettle Cooked, and Lay’s Salt and Vinegar. Those are all pretty much my favorites too, but I just can not love a Pringle. I thing it’s the mushed-together potato particles that just don’t do it for me: It’s like a potato hotdog or particle board or something, haha.

My 2 year old’s favorite is hands down Salt and Vinegar. My mother-in-law is appalled every time this pretty, sweet little girl requests those sour chips, haha.

90. Ruffles tangy honey mustard chips are yummy! Found them less than a month ago and they are now my favorite.

91. Old Dutch Foods Dill Pickle chips but I can only get them when I go to Wisconsin every 3-4 years ( I am in California).
    Otherwise I love Fritos chili cheese chips dipped in sour cream. Mmmm.

92. Jeannine says:

Too funny! Cheddar and sour cream are my favorite too! My dear friend years ago would laugh her head off at me…we’d go to lake oconee for the weekend and the first night there i would eat an entire bag…by.myself! Great memories and they are still my go-to chip! Happy crunching!