Also: Pretty Is As Pretty Does

When I was growing up, my parents were pretty much the opposite of helicopter parents. They didn’t even think about hovering. They didn’t fight our battles. They led by example – more action-oriented than verbal, I’d say – and that’s probably why I’ve always been a little fascinated when friends have told me about how their parents sat them down at family meetings and bestowed Great Words of Wisdom and Other Deep Thoughts upon their children. That just wasn’t Mama and Daddy’s style. They loved their kids and even now would do anything in the world for us, but they didn’t see motivating us as part of their job. They felt exactly zero pressure if we had a big paper or project due because they had no intention of doing work for us. Granted, they didn’t expect perfection, but by diggity they expected EFFORT. And now that I’m a mama, I totally understand where they were coming from. They didn’t see hard work and responsibility as anything that required lots of encouragement and affirmation. It’s just what you were supposed to do.

As far as I know, Mama and Daddy have never written down a collection of advice for Sister, Brother, and me. I don’t think that would ever occur to them. But early this morning I was drying my hair, and out of nowhere I remembered something Mama always used to say (and probably would still say if I were at her house every day): “When you look your best, you’ll do your best.” She’s more right about that than I would’ve ever admitted when I was in high school. And over the course of the next ten minutes, I thought of a whole host of things Mama and Daddy used to say when I was younger.

Apparently I was listening. And I guess I learned something, too. Here are a few little gems that came to mind.

1. Water seeks its level. (She wasn’t talking about water at all.)

2. Everything happens for a reason.

3. “All things work for good for those who love the Lord…” – Romans 8:28

4. You’ll always feel better about yourself if you put on a little lipstick.

5. Do your best to have a cheerful disposition.

6. The Lord never puts more on us than we can handle.

7. Your word is your bond.

8. There’s no use borrowing trouble.

9. Just put your mind to it and work at it.

10. Be a good friend.

11. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.

And last but not least…

12. There’s just no substitute for Land O’Lakes butter.

(I may have mentioned that one before.)

Here’s what really got me, though. As I reminisced this morning, it occurred to me that I say every single one of these things to Alex (except for the one about the lipstick, because, well, that’s not really our issue). I may communicate a little differently with him than my parents did with me, but the messages are still the same. Just yesterday, in fact, we were dealing with a situation where #7 came up over and over again, and when I heard myself ask, “Are you gonna be a man of your word?” – well, I kind of wanted to laugh. Apparently I am a real-live grown-up.

Do any of y’all find yourself thinking about – or even repeating – expressions or words-o-wisdom that you heard growing up? What are some of your favorites?

Comments

1. I’m always telling my (adult) daughter, “The early bird catches the worm.” This always comes into play when I’m staying at her house and waiting to go shopping. There are certain stores I like to be at the minute they open, and she just doesn’t get moving early enough for me.

• Ha! My Mom has the same frustration with me. I usually answer “the second mouse gets the cheese” but she does usually manage to pry me out of bed with the smell of coffee and bacon… and with the threat of leaving me behind!

2. Oh, this is great and sounds like you had parents that “did it right.” I’m afraid many of us today, not so much. Hopefully the Lord has us covered with His grace when we mess up. :o)

My Grandmother had the absolute best sayings and I use them all the time but for the life of me I cannot think of a one right now. Ugh! I have to be responding to something and they just automatically come forth. I need to write them down as I say them so that I’ll never forget them.

Happy weekend!

3. My mom used to always say, “This too shall pass” to her 2 daughters she was raising as a single mom. Imagine that. She died too early a few years ago and my sister and I each had this phrase tattooed on our foot in her handwriting. I think of her when I see it and I’ve repeated that phrase at least a million times to my own kids. Its a goodie!

4. “Because I said so” is one I never thought I would use, and did.

5. Elizabeth J says:

I was raised by parents who had a very similar parenting style! I like to think that it encouraged me to censor/shelter myself to a certain degree–I kept tabs on myself instead of knowing they would every single second.

When I was filled with teen angst over who-knows-what/picking a fight/being dramatic, my mom would look me straight in the eye and say “You reap what you sow.” Shut me up every.dang.time. When people say what goes around comes around/Karma is a B$#&*, what they are really saying is Galations 6:7-9–whether they want to believe it or not!

Another favorite: “It is what it is.” Perfect for any situation. Keeps me from gossiping/offering my unfavorable opinion when someone tells a story/vents to me.

6. My dad always said: “There’s nothing so foolish as regret.” And I always reminded my kids to “Remember who you are.”

7. Oh I love this. My parents sound a lot like yours, but there are several phrases that they always say that my mom calls their “pearls of wisdom.” Some of my favorites are: “There is always hope” and “don’t jump from the frying pan to the fire.”

When my brother and I were in high school our curfew was 11:30, which was earlier than many of our friends’ curfews. When we would ask my parents why it wasn’t later, they simply said, “Because nothing good happens after 11:30.” When you think about it, they are totally right. I think I’ve heard that hundreds of times since high school, and we said it so much that it became applicable in many situations! Definitely a pearl of wisdom! :)

8. How about, “Boring people get bored.” I hated that one, but only because I knew it was true.

9. My daddy points to his elbow and says, “I got braims.” Does that count?

10. My Mom’s go-to phrase was “There are consequences for your actions.” It demanded accountability for every choice from school performance to social behavior.
    Speaking of school, both my brother and I knew that “whatever punishment you have at school will be ten times worse at home.” In other words, a teacher’s decisions would be supported and we would be “grounded.”

Needless to say, we were never sent to the principal’s office. :)

11. Lynn Osborne says:

Oh so many in my memories, but as others have said, they arise in my mind when needed. Here are a couple that I know by heart since I have “preached” to my own daughter: Patience is a virtue. No one said life would be fair. Make nah while the sun shines.

12. Jeannette says:

We grew up in a Norman Rockwell type of town. Not much ever happened there. But our parents would say: “If you get arrested, remember we won’t come and bail you out. But give us a call so we know where you are.” It is funny to me now becasue I work at the county jail.

13. My mom used to always say “I could save you a lot of trouble if you would just listen to me.”. I remember the first time I said it to my son – scary.

14. I loved reading your list and have a few of my own that my parents passed onto me:
    “It doesn’t matter how pretty you are on the outside if you’re not pretty on the inside.”
    “Things always look better in the morning.”
    “Anything’s better than a kick in the head.”
    “Don’t tell me you can’t, tell me you won’t.”

• “One day when we’re gone, you and your brother will just have each other so be sweet to each other now.”

I said this all the time to my three sons when they were growing up!

15. I say stuff my dad says All. The. Time. Sometimes for fun, but sometimes it actually comes out for real. We call them “Paads-isms.” I find myself being more like my mom, but she never had any one-liners. Just the most selfless mother (and now grammie) ever.

16. Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!

17. My dad’s favorite was what he termed “Ancient Chinese Proverb” – If you are gonna be dumb – you gotta be tough! Unfortunately, we heard it enough that it was just shortened to “ACP”.

And it STILL gets used, I break it out for people probably when I should be a little more sympathetic, but it’s just instinct! Gotta work on that!

18. These are great! Number 2 and number 5 are my mom’s favorites.

My grandmother had lots of great advice too. She always bought quality over quantity when it came to clothes and advised me to do the same. I bought cheap things so I could have more variety, and wouldn’t you know it—they would often fall apart after the first wash. Now that I’m in my 40s, I’m finally starting to follow her advice. She still inspects the seams and buttons of everything she buys to make sure it’s well made. She also told me to make my bed every day because it would make the whole bedroom look better. Now I can’t leave the house until I make my bed!

19. Love this post and comments! My favorite of my mom’s is the same as one of your mom’s sayings: “Don’t borrow trouble.” At 37, I have finally learned not to (most of the time). Another favorite: “Don’t worry about what others think. No one else is thinking about you nearly as much as you are thinking about yourself.”

20. “Remember WHO you are and WHOSE you are.”

21. My Mom said many words of wisdom and I know I have said many of them myself but I can’t think of but a few at the moment:
    1) “Beggars can’t be choosers” (obviously when I was not happy with what I had!)
    2) “Every tub has to sit on it’s own bottom” (I used to not get this one until I understood about taking responsibility for our actions- this is the one I remember most)
    3) Never go to town in pajamas or rollers (yes, she actually gave this advice on several occasions -(guess we 5 girls were on the brink of fashion disaster unaware). In reference to wearing make-up, she would say “Every barns looks better with a fresh coat of paint”
    4) “Remember Missy, you’re a Christian!” right before I would go out to ballgames or riding around!
    My mom was the best!

• I absolutely love #2…every tub as to sit on it’s oown bottom! Wish i had heard that years ago and i would have used the heck out of it! Much more thought provoking that repeating “every action has consequences..good or bad” to my boys!

22. My Mom would always say, “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.” Not really sure the full meaning behind this saying but it sounds like a good rule to follow! And the old, “Pretty is as pretty does” was always good to throw in the mix!

23. “Rise and shine – there’s work to be done!”
    “Hard work pays off.”
    “Go outside and blow the stink off ya!” (classy, right?)

24. Jennifer S says:

“Pretty is as pretty does” was one of my mom’s favorites!

25. Your sins will find you out. Also, if 40 million people believe in a dumb idea, it’s still a dumb idea.

26. I always told our girls…you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

27. My mother is a firm believer in lipstick. Were it not for her, I would probably put lipstick on in the morning and never think about it again. After lunch, however, I can hear her say, “You might want to put on a little lipstick if you have a minute.” Being an English major and lover of literature, my mother still says (and I’ve found it to be true), “The book is ALWAYS better than the movie.”

28. Kathleen George says:

I like this post and reading the comments. I tell my 22 yr old “wait until you have children of your own and then you’ll understand.” So so true Mom! I didn’t understand what she meant until I had my own.

29. Sugar Bostick says:

I loved this post!
    The worst one was….’because I’m an adult and I said so’. Never did like that one!
    Best advice….there’s nothing worse than a cheap pair of shoes or a cheap haircut!

30. Fantastic. My mom was just the best. She used many of the phrases listed above. Two of my favorites she said were, “Don’t cast your pearls before swine” meaning not everybody’s going to get excited about the same stuff you do. And “Never quit on a Monday”. This became our little joke when I began working at a church. After Sundays it could be quite tempting to quit on Monday! :)

31. “Other people’s actions are no excuse for yours.”
    Always, always said as we fought with a brother or sister.
    Being older now I realize I try to follow it but in terms of giving Grace to each other.

32. I remember vividly when my mother’s famous words first came out of my mouth when speaking to my young son…”because I’m the said so and you’re the yes ma’am”. Leaves no room for argument! :)

33. Cheryl Stanley says:

“Don’t bid the Devil good day ’til he meets you in the morn.” We used that one a lot when it came to worrying about my mil’s cancer…

34. One of my favorites is a saying my mother and grandmother both used and I’ve never heard anywhere else.
    ” Make yourself useful as well as ornamental.”

Some other favorites…..
    “Pretty is as pretty does.”
    “Blessed be the peacemakers.”
    “This too shall pass.”
    “Many hands make light work.”
    “What won’t kill, will fatten.”

35. “Nothing good happens after midnight” & “No matter where you go there you are”

My mom still reminds me about the lipstick thing.

Oh and when I got married she told me, “Sex is like air. It’s not the most important thing until your not getting any.” That still makes me chuckle!

36. Pretty is as Pretty does!
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!
    Don’t be ugly, be sweet!

37. My mom would say “You can get glad in the same britches you got mad in!”

38. Just remembered another one she said a lot “Can’t never could do nothing.” So true!

39. The Golden Rule – “Treat people the way you want to be treated”
    “Birds of a feather flock together”
    and finally – “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”
    Thanks for the walk down memory lane – nice.

40. Sallie Baker says:

Loved your title….that was my Mee-Maw speaking! ” Pretty is as pretty does…”
    and she would bring delicious desserts everytime she came . . . and wanting an extra helping …..” Mind your girlish figure! “

41. Tiffany W says:

My sweet daughter is 16 and is a great kid. She also has really good friends, so I’m usually happy with her behavior. I do have one thing that I always tell them as they are leaving for a night out (that always ends by 11:30pm)…”Remember the 3 B’s! No Booze, No Boys, and No Bail!” They smile and laugh, but I know that down deep, they are listening!

42. Karen Ward says:

I don’t exactly remember my parents telling me certain things over and over – I’m sure they did but I don’t remember them. I can say they were NOT helicopter parents. I can vividly recall getting into a little tiff with a neighborhood girl that lasted for days. Some other kids were hassling her on the bus and I wisely stayed out of that but her mother thought I had these kids do that. She called my mom and my dear mother told her that it was “probably best to let the girls work this out”. And as bad as it’s hurt me at times, I’ve done the same with my daughter. How can I expect her to stand on her own two feet if I’m constantly there to do battle for her? That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t in some instances. We always told our boys and will tell our daughter that nothing good happens after midnight, your word is your bond, people judge you by who you hang out with so pick your friends wisely.

43. “Just because everyone else is jumping off of a bridge doesn’t mean you have to do it.” and she would sing…”If you can’t say something nice, shhhhhh, say nothing.” Of course I have repeated these to my kids…and not just mine, the hundreds my husband have mentored as youth pastors. Good advice is the gift that keeps on giving! My favorite is Romans 8:28…I hope that is what my children would say if someone asked them this question!

44. Growing up my mom gave my sister an I something she cut out from the church bulletin called “10 commandments for teenagers.” There were warnings like “choose only a date that would make a good mate” and “make the first steps of the week the church’s steps.” But the thing I remember both my parents saying is when they saw a large group or line of people they would always say “what are they giving away? Cheese? ” Seems in the hard times there were no foodstamps. The government actually gave away things like barley and cheese. Other down to earth admonishments: Don’t walk around with bare feet. Don’t go outside with a wet head. And when she sent us to the little grocery store that was in the middle of our block, Don’t go wavin’ that money around.

45. Melanie Yates says:

Can still hear my grandmother saying “pretty is as pretty does!” Great lesson!

46. Becky Neugent says:

I have a favorite from my Dad– ” A loose lip will sink a ship.” A constant reminder that saying less is normally best! We have adopted this one in my house with my 3 daughters and added one of our own. “Filter!”- Not everything that comes in your head should come out of your mouth. We have heard our middle daughter (13) several times saying “filtering, filtering, filtering” over and over again when she is fighting hard to resist the urge to spew something out of her mouth that she knows she probably shouldn’t.

47. Borrowed from my FIL but he always told my husband and his brothers, “say what you mean and mean what you say.” A good one! Love these!

48. Thought of one more good one! My parents didn’t use it but my cousin’s did and I want to use this one with my kids. “Remember who you are and Whose you are.” (meaning the Lord’s)

49. 1. Mind your manners.
    2. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.
    3. Pretty is as pretty does.
    4. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes to the bone.
    5. When you look in the mirror, are you going to be able to look yourself in the eye?

50. My parents were the opposite of helicopter parents too. I joke with my sisters that as the third child, they were just too tired to get too involved in my life and I basically raised myself. A long time ago one of my sisters made my mom a cross stitched wall hanging with a saying that we’ve all used: “A task is quickly done if you think of it as fun.” Other than that, we were usually quoted paraphrased lines from movies. The most used: “I’ll think about it tomorrow; tomorrow is another day.” And that being said, all I can think about now is, “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”

51. One of my Mom’s most frequent was the standard: “If everyone jumped off a bridge would you jump too?”
    Also just a comment. #6 is really not Biblical, even though we hear it all the time. Usually the verse people are referring to is referring to temptation, not life situations:
    “No TEMPTATION has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But WHEN YOU ARE TEMPTED, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
    1 Corinthians 10:12-14 (NIV emphasis mine.)

52. Carah Lynn says:

“You can be the kind of girl boys want to date or the kind of girl boys want to marry.”

53. Your parents sound just like mine — they had no fancy plans, but they sure did know what to say to try to raise good kids. :-)

P.S. Your parents obviously did a good job on you!

54. If we didn’t follow ma’am or sir after yes and no, my dad would always say, “when God was passing out manners, you thought he said ‘naners (bananas) and said no thank you”

If we did something stupid, he would say, “when God was giving out brains, you thought he said rain and went and hid”

55. When I read your title, it made me smile because my mom always said that to us. My parents were very similar to yours in using actions not words. I try to do the same thing with my girls. They know we are there to love and support them, but they have to fight their own battles and do their own homework :)!

56. Janet Worthy says:

“Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face”; “I’m serious as a heartattack” ; and my all-time favorite was “WHO TOLD YOU LIFE WAS FAIR?”

57. Becky in 'Bama says:

My mother’s favorite saying, “You just wait til your father gets home!” Four kids who were totally bratty (us) would suddently be the perfect angels. Dad was the deliverer of the corporal punishment, and we figured if we ponied up before he got home, she’d forget. Unfortunately we were totally dumb kids and had no idea of the staying power of our mother. You would think after a while we would have learned our lesson. Nope. “Foolishness is tied up in the heart of a child, and it’s a parent’s job to beat it out of them.” (paraphrased but the scripture got it right) I’d bet that if most parents could see ahead of time how hard it is to ‘train up a child in the way he should go’ there would be some soul searching conversations between them. My greatest pet peeve these days: children who do not say ‘yes ma’m; no ma’m; yes sir…etc.’ I guess I’m old fashioned.

58. I’m guessing my grandma was a great deal saltier than yours, so many of her pearls of wisdom don’t bear repeating on this sweet blog, but I have to share one I over heard her telling to one of my aunts”

“It doesn’t matter where he reads the menu, so long as he comes home to eat”

Took me 20 years to understand what she was talking about! :P

59. My grandfather always said, “No one can hurt your feelings, but you.” I still say it today – frequently.

There’s also the favorite of my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Hough: “Life’s not fair and you really don’t want it to be.” And, finally, I had a boss once who always said, “To eat an elephant, you have to do it one bite at a time.” So very wise.

I’ve always been a big believer in #7 and #11. #7 is Biblical for Pete’s sake. Very few things can irritate me more than someone saying they’re going to do something and not following through. It’s rude, crude, and unattractive (courtesy of my 5th grade teacher).

The last sentence of your first paragraph says it all. “They didn’t see hard work and responsibility as anything that required lots of encouragement and affirmation. It’s just what you were supposed to do. ” I believe that these fine words of wisdom, or the lack thereof, is exactly what perpetuates our society’s continuing downfall.

What you’re supposed to do – what a concept.

60. Sugar Bostick says:

Thought of another one….
    “Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.” So very true.
    And the BEST advice I received was from my dad, and I still practice it to this day.

As a sassy 8th grader, I got caught writing a curse word in one of ‘notes’ we wrote to all of our friends. My dad did not punish me but said something that still resonates with me. “Don’t ever put something in writing you’d be ashamed for your Papaw to see.” Boy, that stuck with me and to this day, I don’t put anything in writing I’d be ashamed of later. This goes for texts, emails, and IMs!

61. Christina says:

Well, the one that immediately popped into my mind was what my mom used to say whenever we would be looking for something and not putting much effort into, wanting her to come find it for us. She’d say, “Well, it’s not going to just jump out and say ‘Here I am’!” I say that to my kids ALL.THE.TIME (and occasionally to my sweet husband who can never find anything.)

62. “If you’re smart enough to get yourself in trouble, you’re smart enough to get yourself out.” she said while giving me the laser eye.
    “Ummm, what if I’m. . .” I started to reply. She cut me off.
    “You are one smart cookie! Now get those dishes done.”
    End of discussion.

63. trisha : ) says:

(Explanation first… Where we live, the County Fair is the first week in August). When the complaint came. ,”it’s not fair” the reply is : the fair is in August”. Another was “never, never, never give up”

64. My dad used to say “Every old crow thinks theirs is the blackest” – meaning every parent thinks their kids are the best. I’ve never heard anybody else ever say this, but we got a kick out of it.

I’ve never heard Water seeks its level. What does that mean?

• Never mind. I googled it (of course). One explanation said “Birds of a feather flock together” – which my mom said to me alot!

65. Mama always told me, “everything that shines ain’t gold.” …. aint it the gospel truth!

66. “I’ll give you something to cry about!”…..used it just the other day! :)

67. #4 is such a Mudgie expression!

68. When my sister and I were fighting my dad would say “One day you’ll be best friends”… and he was totally right, we are now.

I repeat this to my 3 and 6 year old sons now and see they don’t believe me, just like I didn’t believe my dad.

69. My mom has always reminded me, especially during trying times, that “there is no place you would rather be than in the smack-dab center of God’s will for your life.”

70. My mom always said “was gonna never did anything”

71. “Can’t never did a thing”
    “You have to hold your mouth just right” (usually spoken when trying to fix something)
    “Life’s not fair”

72. I really did enjoy reading everyone’s words of wisdom. I still remember my grandpa telling me that his mother was telling him “Pretty is what pretty does”, all the way back during the great depression when they were just getting by, and it still holds true today!
    However, I will say that I do have a different philosophy with encouraging children to do their best. I would say that my parents definitely modeled what it looked like to work hard, and be responsible. But with children I sometimes think this isn’t enough. I’m not saying to be a “helicopter” parent, but I definitely think you need to help your child set goals and priorities based on his/her potential. For some children making A’s is easy, so does that mean the minute they come home from school they should just zoom through their homework and then just twiddle their thumbs and play? In my opinion, no. I would encourage that child to try to make the highest grades in her class, make 100s on her tests (or higher if their are bonus points). A lot of children will work hard, but not consistently and will never reach their full potential. Once a child starts working really hard and consistently, it just becomes a constant cycle to better and better. A lot of times children think just cause they are doing “fine” or their teacher/coach whoever is happy with their performance that everything is okay, and that they don’t need to work any harder. I think the parents job is to always help push the child to reach their maximum potential, not to be emailing the teachers everyday or doing the projects for them, but to raise a child who is self motivated and know that there is always room for improvement and doesn’t become complacent because they are doing “good” by others’ standards. And then when they have a lapse (making a poster for a project that is sub-par for example, ask them if they think that it is really the best they can do and if time is available, have them re-do it), try to lead the child to self-correct. This is the background information to one of my favorite quotes that I still find my self repeating to myself and the children to my life to this day
    “Make a mistake, learn from it, move on and don’t repeat it”
    (which can apply to everything from mis-bubbling a test question (I still always triple check my answers when I am taking any sort of test), to realizing you missed an opportunity to share Jesus with some one). Live intentionally!

73. Early is on time, and on time is late.

You can’t fix stupid.

FIDO – Forget it and drive on.

Whenever I’d worry about something completely out of my control (no… not me), my Dad would quote his granddaddy, Daddy Rob. He’d tell me, “As Daddy Rob said, it’s not my problem.”

Whenever I would say “what if this happens…” my Dad: If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a Christmas it would be. :-)

And anytime we would go into somewhere fancy like the Kirklands, “Easy to touch, pretty to hold, but if it breaks, consider it sold.” :-)

74. One of my favorites from growing up:

They put their britches on the same way you do, one leg at at time!

75. Fran Calloway says:

The one I try to remember on a daily basis is…”If you can’t say something good about somebody, don’t say nothing at all.” Needless to say I’m a very quiet person….LOL.

76. One of my co-workers told me after a night out (she is a single 28 yr old) she wanted her mom to bring her a coffee to work to help get through the day. Her mom said ” Big girl at night, big girl in the morning”
    My dad always says ” Monkey see, Monkey do, all the monkeys aren’t in the zoo”

77. Ahh, “Pretty is as pretty does!” My sweet sweet Grannie used to tell me that frequently. I still catch myself reciting that little gem from time to time, both for my own benefit and for that of my sweet 2 year old. I also shared it with my 25 year old friend the other day, haha…. She was talking about a boy who was acting shady, but insisted that “he’s still legit.” I told her, “Legit is as legit does.”

78. My mother always said, “Can’t never could do anything!” I knew the first time I said that to my children that I had officially become a grownup.

79. KimberlyOKC says:

Hey, I’m for old fashioned guilt trips…when my kids don’t want to give me hugs or do something I ask, I say “When I’m cold and dead in the grave, you’re gonna wish you could get me a glass of water to drink!” I love to laugh with my kids and they say I’m the best momma ever but I don’t mess around about certain things and they know it!!!

80. My parents were also not helicopter parents. I remember waking up my mother when I couldn’t sleep (now, as an adult, I recognize the irony), only to have her tell me, “No one ever died from a lack of sleep.”

81. My daddy: “It takes two to tango.” Meaning I had better stop and examine my contribution to a problem before assigning all blame to the other party and playing the innocent victim. I use that all the time nowadays.

82. My dad is Mr. Positive…. glass is always full. Which is why I call him from time to time when I’m feeling somewhat hopeless. When Grant and I had been married only 2 years… and living in our tiny little one bedroom apartment, he was laid off from his job. It was scary. Then, I called my dad… “Hey, Daddy…. I just wanted to let you know that Grant was laid off from his job today….” he responds without missing a beat: “Well, It’s a NEW CHAPTER of your life, baby girl!!!”

Anytime I feel like everything is falling apart… I just remember that it’s a new chapter of my life :)

83. My grandmother (who raised me) said, “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.” I heard myself saying that last week when someone in the family wanted to pout more than they wanted to work something out. The image of this makes me laugh. :)

84. “Either you do or you don’t, there is no maybe.”

“A pretty heart makes a pretty face.”

“Life is a choice, choose wisely.”

85. Melissa H says:

“Procrastination is the thief of time.” – my high school English teacher (loved her!)

“We feel our best when we behave as we should.” – one of my favorite college professors