It’s Been A Good Day For Pajamas

Yesterday I had to take my car in for service, a task that I rank right up there with 1) getting my driver’s license renewed 2) trying to settle a customer service issue via telephone and 3) refusing offers for a membership card / three free magazines / discounted candy when I’m trying to wind up a transaction in a store. And listen: it’s not that there’s anything so difficult about getting the car serviced; it’s just that my free spirited side doesn’t really care for things like standing appointments and routine maintenance and recurring deadlines.

My husband and I are POLAR OPPOSITES in this regard, by the way. He is all about making some checklists and scheduling maintenance – and that’s pretty much the only reason why I’ve never burned up a car engine or tried to see how long I could drive on a spare tire. Left to my own devices, though, I could easily be that person on the side of the interstate who is standing in a ditch because HER CAR HAS CAUGHT ON FIRE.

My service appointment was at 7:30 AM, and fortunately, since I was also having paint protectant thingie (totally the technical term) put on the outside of the car, it was going to be the middle of the afternoon before everything would be finished – so the dealership let me use a loaner car. I was delighted because I had errands a-plenty, and the day turned out to be super productive. I did have to go back to the dealership to pick up my car DURING THE SECOND QUARTER OF STATE’S BOWL GAME, but it all worked out just fine because the game was on ESPN Radio – so I barely missed a second of yelling very loudly for players who could not in fact hear me.

I was back at home for the second half of the game, and OH, IT WAS A DELIGHTFUL LIBERTY BOWL. Anybody who has been a State fan for more than a year knows that when the offense is firing on all cylinders, YOU EMBRACE THE MOMENT, and it was so fun to end the season with a win. After State’s game we settled in for the A&M / Duke game, and by the time it was over (and what an ending it was), we were only about 15 minutes away from seeing the ball drop on the East Coast. There’s a ten year-old in this house who was mighty proud of himself.

Today I haven’t left the house at all, and I’ve been just as tickled as I can be about that. I fixed us some blackeyed peas, some Mexican cornbread (a recipe of Mama’s that she always made on New Year’s Day), and some collard greens, and I have been in pajamas all. day. long. I did take a shower about an hour ago, but that was really just an excuse to put on some different pajamas. I’ve done a bunch of reading – which always feels like such a luxury to me – and I’ve journaled and prayed and thought and pondered and watched more than my share of college football.

It’s been a mighty fine way to kick off a new year. And it’s about to get even better when I make a batch of my Mamaw Davis’ homemade chocolate pudding. I’m considering the pudding a last hoorah since the sugar and I are about to be sworn enemies for at least 30 days.

Anyway, in the midst of all my reading and thinking, I’ve run across a couple of things that I thought I’d pass along. If you’ve been on Twitter or Instagram today, some of this won’t be news to you, but I’m gonna go ahead and post the links since I don’t want anyone to miss out on the goodness.

– Four of Beth Moore’s books are free as ebooks for the next ten days. Here’s the list of titles for Kindle, and here’s the list of titles for Nook (you’ll have to scroll a little bit to see what’s free and what’s not). I imagine we all have friends who wouldn’t necessarily buy a Christian book, so these free ebooks are a great resource to share with them. (via)

Angie Smith released her latest book today. It’s called Chasing God.

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 7.07.33 PM

And y’all.

This book is absolutely beautiful. It’s deep and rich and hilarious and tender. It’s about so many things, but more than anything it’s about learning to rest in God’s love, mercy, and provision. As I was reading I kept thinking that the book feels like a conversation with a close friend; and if you’ve ever pondered some aspect of faith (or all the aspects of faith) and thought, Okay. But here’s what I don’t understand / don’t know how to do / don’t know how to reconcile, you are going to find such comfort and wisdom in Angie’s words. She tackles all sorts of big topics – belief, prayer, sovereignty, Scripture, trust – and she brilliantly weaves her own story of faith in and through those topics. I don’t want to reveal too much because this book is full of treasures that you’ll want to unearth yourself…just know that I have underlined and circled and amen’d all over my own copy. It’s special. You’ll see. You should be able to find it anywhere books are sold, and of course there’s always Amazon or Barnes & Noble if you want to order it RIGHT THIS SECOND.

– All day long I’ve seen people posting their words and verses for 2014. About a month ago I felt like I had a pretty good idea what my word was going to be, and sure enough it has popped up over and over again. The word is enough – and it kind of makes me giggle because it reminds of that Jennifer Lopez movie from about ten years ago. I know it probably sounds like I’m fed up with something and saying, “ENOUGH!” But that’s not it at all. It’s more of a boundaries thing with me. Not overcommitting. Remembering margin. Recognizing that I have three big areas of commitment – family, work, writing – and stuff outside those areas just can’t be a priority right now. There’s a practical side of “enough,” too. I don’t spend crazy amounts of money or anything like that, but when I am in the middle of, say, Target, I am sometimes prone to forget that aside from groceries, we don’t really need anything.

So. That’s my word.

What about y’all? Any words or verses or thoughts or themes for 2014 that you’d like to share?

Comments

1. Regina Ballard says:

LOVED the Liberty Bowl, got all 4 of Beth Moore’s free books for my Kindle, ate some black eyed peas and some greens, and stayed in my pajamas most of the day – ha! Keep writing; I love to read your blogs!

2. My 2014 word is *brave* …. because I so am not, but desperately long to be.

3. I don’t have my word yet, but I too have been in my jammies all day and took a shower and put on new jammies!

4. I love that your word is focused on gratitude, limits, and what he has already given. I’ve never chosen a word before that let me breath and think…usually always choose a “doing” word. I just love your word. Enough. Yes, he is. Looking forward to another year of reading your blog. it is just honest. And honest is encouraging and so needed. Thanks for all the great reads in 2013…especially your book! Looking forward to the next one! Love you Boomama.

5. So excited to get the Beth Moore books for Kindle. Thanks! HaPpY NeW YeAr!!

6. JustBetty says:

– just know that I have (mentally) underlined and circled and amen’d all over this post!

7. I was wrestling with a new calling, explaining to the Lord that it probably wasn’t possible, (HA!) when the Lord clearly said to me, “Am I not able?”!

So 2014 is going to be The Lord is Able year! I am claiming Ephesians 3:14 -21…

“When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
    Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.”

We’ve got big things coming in 2014… including a move to an unreached place! Because He is able!

• I pray for you will feel God’s peace in 2014. I know from experience (6 years on the mission field in Ukraine) that you can be in God’s will and not feel His peace. But He is always there. God bless you.

8. I don’t get a word. The Lord sort of gives me a whole phrase, and it’s something along the lines of “Hey, Jess. Why don’t you let go of your frantic efforts to control everything in your vainglorious attempts to live a perfect life and let ME handle your stuff, okay?”

So maybe, if I was into summarizing, my word would be RELAX. But that doesn’t seem wordy enough.

9. Carla Riediger says:

I received Angie Smith’s new book Chasing God on Christmas Eve day….I had pre-ordered it a while back!! What a great Christmas gift. I began reading it that evening and I knew right away this was a book that I would write…..underline, highlight and made comments all through it. I also realized it was the type of book, because of all the content, that I would need time between chapters to meditate, process and absorb what I have read!! I am half way through and LOVE the book!!

Blessings to you!
    Carla

10. God is God and I’m not.

11. Love your blog and so look forward to all your sharing! Just read first chapter of Chasing God. I can tell I’m going to also circle, underline and mull over her words. My word for 2013 was Hope. My word for this year is “Alive”. I’m turning 55 this year. I can hope for 55 more, but that isn’t promised. So for this year, I want to live in a way that points to a rolled away stone, an empty tomb, and a God who is alive in me. I want people to look at my life and see a living God not dead religion! Words from Beth Moore, Angie Smith and you (although, consolidated and paraphrased!) Today, I’ll begin to really live! Happy New Year!

12. I just love your thoughts, Sophie. :-) There are times you make me laugh out loud and I thank you for that. We all need some laughter in our lives.
    My word for 2014 keeps changing and I find myself wondering, “What’s that all about? Can’t I keep my thoughts on one word?” haha! Two words that are strong for me so far are TRUST and LISTEN.
    Have a great 2014! Happy New Year!

13. Janet Worthy says:

Shhhhhh … listen. OK, I guess that’s a sound and a word, but nonetheless its what God has given me to focus on for 2014! And I don’t think He is referring to my cheering on of our DAWGS:)

14. I’ve been pondering this Word of the Year concept (that capitalizing the words makes it more important… it’s also a personal pet peeve so I don’t have a clue why I do it).
    I’ve come up with Twinkies — now that’s a fun word and I can’t help but smile when I hear it.
    Another word is Sarcasm — but I think I’m good with that one, maybe a little too good.
    No. That’s a word I need to understand and use much more often

15. Karen Ward says:

My word is calm. Far too often I get upset about things that are out of my control. I need to sit back and let God handle it all. I’ve put a calendar reminder on my ipad/iphone everyday at 6AM to be reminded that it’s all about CALM.

16. Michelle Auffant says:

Thank you for the tips n the free books! I’m speedily downloading on my Nook before the disappear :)

17. mary in idaho says:

SIMPLIFY is my word for 2014.

I was thrilled to be able to download FREE, NINE Beth Moore books yesterday on my Nook!! Now my brain is on overload trying to decide which one to read first.

Angie Smith has a YouTube trailer of “Chasing God” with an amazing message in so few minutes.

18. Kristin D. says:

For 2013 my word was “patience.” My boys were 2 and 1 and with all that toddlers entailed, I needed patience! Now that they’re 3 and 2 (13 months apart, by the way), my word for 2014 is “pray.” I believe in the power of prayer and I know God has great plans for me and for my family but I often decide to do things my way and skip over the prayer part. How much more smoothly would the days go if I made prayer a higher priority in my life? And not just the praying for meals and praying before bedtime, but praying for the little things and the big things in the day and in our lives? I’m excited to see the opportunities that God has for us in 2014!

19. I have a post-it note on my mirror that says, “I have enough, I do enough, I am enough.” It’s a nice lense to look at life though.

20. My word for 2014 is “peace”. Which, for me, ties into “contentment”.

21. No. Way.

Enough is my word too!!!!

Love it.

22. My word is “thrive.” Last Sunday, our pastor spoke about how Caleb thrived for God at EIGHTY-FIVE YEARS OLD. I am exactly sixty years younger than that and I’m not sure that can be said about me. Live for God? Yes. But thrive? Boom. That’ll hit ya. It also applies to all areas of my life– my marriage, my work, my relationships, etc.

Love your writing, as always.

23. Sophie, I “hear” you when I read your writings! Love that it seems like you are talking, not just writing words. I am thinking my word this year is SIMPLIFY. God has been speaking to me about the need to simplify a lot of things in my life.

24. My word this year is capable..because I’m not, but God is :)

More importantly, I thought you might be interested to know that my step-dad, who takes diligent care of his vehicles and loves a good scheduled maintenance, did – in fact – end up on the side of the road whilst his beloved (but very old) Jeep burst randomly into flames. I’m not sure if that supports your side of things or your husband..but..there you have it :)

25. My word for 2014 is Neglect. A negative word but I see it as positive. I am spending this year asking God to reveal the areas in my life when I neglect what is important. I know already several things i have been neglecting and I am up for the challenge of no neglect.

26. My word is ‘save’ with similar connotations as your ‘enough’…save my sanity by not overly committing my schedule, save money (I don’t usually go crazy either, but I know that I sometimes spend without giving enough thought to it), save my day by beginning it with a word from the Lord, save my health by prioritizing good habits.

Happy New Year – so appreciate getting to read your words!

27. Sophie, just wanted to tell you that you’ve become multigenerational in my house! I purchased your book soon after its release and enjoyed it so much. I carried it back to SC with me in November when I went to help my daughter pack for her move to Guatemala. I wanted so much to tuck the book into her suitcase as a surprise but 1) we were too close to the weight limit on her bags (can you imagine putting everything you need for two years into two 50-pound bags?) and 2) I didn’t want to part with the recipes in the back. She also hasn’t been much of a reader the past few years, at 24 busy teaching and preparing for the mission field. How delighted was I a couple of weeks ago when she asked for book recommendations for her kindle app – living in a foreign country, she has more time to read and was a little homesick. I quickly recommended your book, and she coolly informed me that she had just finished it! “How did you know about it?” I asked. “I’ve read her blog for years but am not sure i ever mentioned it to you.” “MOM. You’re not the only person who knows about Sophie Hudson,” she replied. It tickled me no end, and I know she loved the book as much as I did.

True to my nature, I had to choose two words for 2014 because I could.not.decide. They are “fearless” and “joyful.” Scared to death of implementing the first one…..:)

Blessings on your new year and special patience mercies on parting ways with the sugar.

28. Kimberly/OKC says:

I like “enough”. That’s a nice way of saying what is in my head which is “STOP!! Shut up.” And “You can’t please everybody and you can’t do it all!!” The book you describe may be a saving grace in my life. I plan to buy it.

29. Love your word! I might need some enough in my life too. My word is Miracle, with this verse to go along with it: “Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.” Psalm 77:13-14 I’m looking for God to perform some mighty miracles this year!

30. Amy in Austin, TX says:

My word is OPEN – as in open mind, open heart, open house, open to possibilities and open to different points of views and ways of doing things. Love you Sophie and you are ENOUGH!! Just like your sweet boy said… :) Here’s to a 2014 where we are all ENOUGH and OPEN to the possibilities! Cheers!
    Amy

31. Alice in Indiana says:

My word of the year is Pursuit…..the pursuit of being a more Godly woman. I look to my mom, aunt, and grandma and their walks with The Lord , and I am humbled. Hope to progress from baby steps to strides this year.
    We have a foot of snow and it’s -11 degrees. Today was the day for Mamaw Davis’ chocolate pudding! Thank you, Sophie, for sharing! My two little chocolate – faced kids are in heaven! Phenomenal!
    Alice

32. Jennifer says:

Well, 2013 was a humdinger for us. It beat us all about the head and face, so we weren’t too sad to see it go. But we did learn that sometimes, in spite of your need to do things right or the way you think they need to be done, you just have to suck it up and get going. Sometimes it’s going to get ugly, but there are no prizes at the end…except for that one big heavenly one, of course, but that’s not what I’m talking about. So our family motto for 2014 is “Whatever It Takes.” Time to hunker down, time to not freak out when things get ugly, and time to learn that you just have to do the best you can with what you have.

33. Did you see the movie “Saving Mr. Banks” yet? (If you haven’t, you must!) (Semi-spoiler alert:) Throughout the story the author P.L. Travers allows past memories to torment her and rob her of the present…and even some possibilities of the future. There is a powerful scene where she says loudly, “ENOUGH!” and begins to put the past behind her and embrace her future. This is a different “enough” from yours, but just as mightily memorable.

My word is “Clarity”. I’m an elementary principal and I want to be the best leader possible for my precious students and teachers this year.

Trackbacks

1. […] of making New Years Resolutions, to pick a word for the year (Rachel on Lil Light ‘O Mine and BooMama are two good […]