It’s Old And We’re Good

By and large I think I’m a pretty content person. I don’t keep a running list of things I’d like to buy or places I’d like to go. I don’t feel like I have to keep up with anybody (though my 20s were a different story in that regard, as evidenced by the fact that I once bought a very expensive purse when I was not entirely sure that I could pay my rent). Now, though, I like things low-key and low-pressure and low-maintenance. I’m a devoted fan of super-ordinary things like going to the grocery store, watching high school basketball games, and changing into pajamas at 3 in the afternoon. My needs are simple, people.

But I am here to tell you that this past Friday night, something strange and strong came over me. We had plans to have dinner with some friends, and we were rarin’-to-go because 1) we love them and 2) they just moved into a new house that we hadn’t seen yet. We had the best time – the food was great and we laughed a ton and all the kids had a blast. And much to my surprise, I got completely obsessed with looking at the NEW-ness of everything in their house. Keep in mind that our house was built in 1974, so being surrounded by all the high ceilings and brand-new appliances and beautiful tile and whatnot made me think, “You know, there is something to this whole build-a-new-house thing. IT IS ALL SO VERY FRESH AND CRISP AND PRISTINE.”

And then, no kidding: when we got home we walked in our back door, and I looked around the kitchen, and I turned to David, and I said, “It’s old.”

And he said, “Yep. It’s old.”

And then we sighed.

It was the strangest thing. I really do love our house – and location-wise it is PERFECT for us – but if I could make the ceilings about two feet higher and remodel the kitchen and re-do the bathrooms and install new carpet by the end of this week, that would really suit me just fine.

That sounds do-able, doesn’t it?

But fortunately, I guess, we got a new garage door installed yesterday, so when I got home from dinner with some girlfriends last night, the whisper quiet of that new garage door felt very fancy indeed. Granted, it’s not at all fancy, but it’s home, and I think I’ve successfully recaptured my contentment. I just had a moment Friday night where I was ready for my boundary lines to fall in newly-tiled places. I think that might be a promise from the Old Testament.

Or maybe not.

Other than all of that, our weekend was happily uneventful. I spent most of Saturday getting ready for some speaking stuff that’s coming up, and being able to spend the day digging through books and quotes and Scripture made my inner English major nerd so very, very happy. Sunday we went to Chuy’s after church (SHOCKER), and then the rest of the afternoon was a blur of football, naps, and Twitter. I also started watching Sherlock Sunday night, but I can’t even talk about it yet because IT IS SO DELIGHTFUL even though I’m only on the third episode of season one. My word at the clever.

Oh! I have also made the most exciting discovery. I have long bemoaned my issues with my eyelashes, and I have honestly wondered if I wasn’t going to have to resort to a magic eyelash serum. There have been glimmers of victory with this mascara or that, but by and large it’s been a humbling eyelash road. No length, no volume, no nothing.

HOWEVER.

Early last week I picked up a new eyelash curler on a whim, and in the words of Robert Frost, “that has made all the difference.” Somehow the new curler grabs my eyelashes better, and now, if you look really closely, you might think I have 30 (!) eyelashes. At this point in the day all my mascara has worn off, of course, so the difference isn’t very noticeable, but in the light of early morning, with a fresh coat of mascara, YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE MY EYELASHES. Needless to say, I feel very grateful that the Lord has given my eyelashes and me a second chance – an opportunity for meaningful ministry, even.

Happy Tuesday, y’all.

Comments

1. Love Sherlock!!! The only thing I hate about it is that the seasons are too short!!

2. Stephanie C says:

You have a treat coming with Sherlock season 2 – lots of goodness there!

3. House is what gets me too. It’s my “if you give a mouse a cookie” syndrome.

Sherlock is great!!

4. Jennifer S says:

A couple of things. First – my house was build in 1959 (and has not been updated) so I am with you about the old thing. I dream of new kitchen cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Second – do you watch Sleepy Hollow? Did you see that finale last night? THAT is a good TV show! Have a lovely evening!

5. I could use a great new eyelash curler. What brand is the one that you got?

6. Spill the beans on the eyelash curler, please! I could use some help in that department.

7. Kathleen G says:

My daughter got me hooked on Sherlock. Oh my goodness, Downton Abby! PBS Sunday nights for me.

8. I read the post linked below yesterday, and I think it will reaffirm you in your contentment. I wish we had the perspective that Ashley shared about 10 years ago. New is fun & exciting, but it’s not what makes a house a home (which makes the title of my blog rather ironic now, doesn’t it?)

9. My house was built in 1955 and has not been updated with the exception of granite-like countertops. Would you believe my clothes washer is in my kitchen? Oh, how I hate it. I think the very best eyelash curler is by Shu Umera. Would that be the brand of your new one per chance?

10. Oh, BooMama… I didn’t realize you had my kind of eyelashes. I mean, I should’ve known because we have the same kind of hair, haha!

Here’s my best advice (not that you asked, but just in case you really get into maximizing your lash length and volume, haha) : Loreal Voluminous mascara in blackest black, 3 coats, curling lashes before the first and last coat (also be sure to let it dry between coats). But here’s the kicker… Put the second coat on THE BACK of the lashes. Yeah. You know how you had to spray that root lift stuff on both sides of the hair? Well, I recently discovered that putting a coat on the back of the lashes helps SO much with the staying curled and pumping up the volume while avoiding tarantula lashes. Also, (game changer!) if I warm up my eyelash curler with a few seconds of heat from my hairdryer before using it, it works SO much better and faster. Like hot rollers vs. sponge rollers…. Night and day, I tell ya!

And that is my best eyelash advice. I suppose I should qualify it by adding that I am an expert because I am a stay at home mom and tomorrow, Lord willing, I will have put on full make-up 5 days in a row. So yeah, definitely a make-up expert, haha!

11. As a military wife, I get to move a lot and try out a variety of home styles – I’ve lived in four houses since 2009 – and it’s amazing what you THINK you might really love that turns out to be not-so-cozy. High-ceilinged houses are really expensive to cool and heat, and it’s difficult to make them feel intimate and homey. Stainless appliances are a lot of work to keep smudge-free. Tile floors and granite countertops are hard, cold and unforgiving if you drop something. Pipes in newer houses aren’t of the quality of older houses. (Just offering a little perspective!)

12. Hear ye, hear ye.

I have the answer to your eyelash woes. Get Dior Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum. I promise it’s life-changing and you won’t have to sell your child. You put it on under your mascara- it lengthens and plumps them, but it also conditions them and makes them grow. I had to have mine trimmed. TRIMMED. First time that’s EVER happened. Here’s a link: http://www.sephora.com/diorshow-maximizer-lash-plumping-serum-P266528?skuId=1255462

13. Glad you are starting on Sherlock. It’s a show my husband and I like to watch together. Very good. Like you said, my word at the clever! :)

14. I’m reading your book and last night I literally woke my husband up laughing in bed at the chapter on Mae’s wedding. Brother’s commentary had me rolling…I may have even snorted, but there are no witnesses. ;) And loved finding out you were a Chi-o. I know Chi Omega Choo Choo all too well.

15. Marilyn C. says:

Please share the details on your new eyelash curler! The last few I’ve bought were disappointing.

16. Love love love Sherlock. Elementary is good too. I’m a huge Sherlock Holmes nerd and was worried I would hate both of them being set in modern times but they’re both so clever.

• anotherlisa says:

holly, didn’t think i would, but i love lucy liu as watson. and that both versions (brit and american tv) are true to original stories here and there – irene adler for example. and le strade is so cute!
      did you see the pbs special before the season premier, where the director, script writers, BC all discussed the show? usually those are ego-driven vehicles, but i loved it! almost an homage to Sir Arthur.
      sophie, take time to savor the episodes. they are rich with nuance, and as someone said above, too short a season. would love to hear if you’re a fan of mysteries, sir arthur’s writings, or just clever writing. i grew up loving all three.

17. I don’t like to watch tv shows or movies more than once with a very few exceptions. Sherlock is one of those exceptions. So good!

18. Another Sherlock fan! It really is the best show. And by the end of season 1 I had the biggest crush on Benedict Cumberbatch. So much he made me want to watch the new Star Trek movie this summer he was in just because I was missing him.

19. Sherlock is The Awesome Sauce! The fact that you were able to regain your contentment in a day is impressive. And, encouraging. Please, for the love of all eyelash deficient women everywhere, spill the beans about the eyelash curler!!

20. Please share eyelash curler brand name!

21. My husband works in very high-end homes and every now and then I go with him, and good heavens, my covetous button gets pushed! However, he sees how unhappy many of these people really are. At the risk of sounding cliche, Money can’t buy happiness! I remind myself of this and make the decision again to be content…and avoid temptation entirely by not visiting too many of his workplaces.

22. Chuy’s…..I have meant to comment and ask for your Chuy’s wisdom! We just recently got a Chuy’s here in Raleigh, NC and we went and *loved* the decor, but my entree was just kind of eh (veggie enchilada, although I’m not a vegetarian), and hubs’ was too spicy for his taste (I can’t remember what he ordered).

What do you love at the Chuy’s that you would suggest? We definitely enjoyed it and would go back, but our server wasn’t much help with the good suggestions apparently. :)

23. Tammy Cooper says:

Sherlock is so very clever! I’m so glad you’ve started watching.

Boo (may I call you Boo?) you have to try coconut oil on your eyelashes. It is great for removing makeup (it melts right off) and so good for your skin. On clean skin, just rub some coconut oil on your eyelids before you go to bed. Also, a previous comment recommended Loreal Voluminous mascara. I second!

24. Rachael b says:

Sooo….you’re just gonna leave us hangin? I wanna know the name of this magical eyelash curler, too!

25. You made me laugh out loud on the “that has made all the difference” reference! (still laughing!) Anyway, I can relate to seeing the “newer” version of things and feeling like mine is a little “dumpy”. Our house was built in 1938 and, some days, it is hard to remember that buying it 26 years ago was totally my idea. I’ve grown up in this town and it was the only house (still is) that ever interested me. When we were 28 & 29 years old, it was an awesome challenge to restore. But, our kids are grown and married (except the 21 yr. old still lives at home) and it’s hard to get enthused about redecorating like I used to. However, Hubs and I got our second-wind a couple of months ago when he installed 2 brand new replacement windows in our study. They looked so nice, we decided that the 15 year old wallpaper needed to go! ( I KNOW…….go ahead and say it…15 YEARS OLD!!!) We stripped the wallpaper, repainted the walls and trim, bought new curtains and light fixture, spruced up the hard wood floor and…….I LOVE IT!! It makes me want to hug this old house all over, again! Now, we have plans to resurface and redo a couple of other rooms in the near future. It does the heart good to look at things from a different perspective sometimes. I had forgotten that ;)

26. try the new avon mascara..i have no eyelashes and it is wonderful…the wand is like a brush and it makes me look like a model (I wish)…

27. You are just too cute! And yes, Sherlock is a wonderful show… I can’t wait for more.

Best, Lina

28. I have never seen Sherlock! I will have to look that up and DVR it. Oh, and I need to know about this eyelash curler. Sounds amazing!

29. DO NOT WATCH SHERLOCK! It will only disappoint you! because there are not enough episodes! and then you will have nasty withdraws! that will be hard to recover from! and you might actually consider READING SHERLOCK HOLMES stories! just because the t.v. version is so entrancing! and for Heaven’s sake! are you really watching t.v. so you can just, like, read?!? I mean, I think it is a horrible idea! That is good advice from one sister to another. (!)

30. I realize this is a tad pricey, but I promise it will change your eyelash life: They’re Real! By Benefit mascara http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/theyre-real?intid=pdppromomod_TAR_onesoldeverysecond

If you aren’t sure about spending that much on mascara, they do make a smaller size for $10, so you can try it first.

I also highly recommend their eyebrow stuff called Gimme’ Brow. It comes in a tube like mascara.

31. Do tell the eyelash curler brand! I have thought of getting fake eyelashes put on or Lattise. But this way would be less expensive and less maintence.

32. Old house, but new eyelashes . . . it all works out, doesn’t it?

33. Our home was built in 1971. We have lived here for 16 years. Two years ago my husband came home and announced that we need to do some painting on the inside. I DO NOT curse…..but I said Hell NO! I know me and I know him and I know that is not something we would both live thru……not to mention he works a gazillion hours a week!! We got quotes (oh my word!!) and hired two great Christian painters……one of the best decisions we ever made. We had the entire downstairs painted and it is wonderful……clean – neat- makes me want to clean:). We got all new windows installed and new siding……almost a new house and we got to stay in the neighborhood we enjoy. There are a couple more things we are saving to do before he retires in the next five years BUT it does feel new.

34. Marie@normaleverydaylife.com says:

I’ve thought about your new garage door several times this week. Ours is very old and squeaks terribly when it goes up and down. I can definitely see how fixing it would make me feel fancy, too!