24 Things I’ve Done So Far This Week

1. Picked up a sick young’un from school Monday morning.

2. Took said sick young’un to the doctor’s office, where he was promptly diagnosed with strep.

3. Encouraged that same young’un to RUN TO THE GRASS when he needed to throw up in the doctor’s office parking lot.

4. Reminded myself that it’s a doctor’s office parking lot, so it certainly wasn’t the grassy area’s first throw-up rodeo.

5. Discovered that we have not been buying bully sticks for Hazel; we have been buying bravo sticks. I do apologize for any confusion.

6. Spent ONE HOUR yesterday trying to get a movie to stream from my Mac to the Apple TV. I said on Twitter that I had discovered a whole new level of hatred for devices with inputs and was contemplating maybe just performing a skit.

7. Called my husband at work to get him to walk me through how I could play a movie. Turned out that I was changing the inputs on the wrong device. This is hardly surprising considering that there are about 15 things plugged into our TV.

8. Slightly exaggerated the number of things plugged into our TV because maybe there are only 14. And yes, I have romanticized the days of the VCR and my utterly reliable VHS tapes.

9. Washed about five loads of clothes and actually folded all of them.

10. Celebrated with Alex when his fever broke because he hasn’t been that sick in a lonnnnng time. Bless.

10. Put away all the folded clothes except for the stack of towels that’s staring at me from across the room right now.

11. Wondered if that the same stack of towels will still be there Saturday. My guess is YES.

12. Made a doctor’s appointment for me because I felt yuck yesterday and immediately got paranoid that OH NO, IT’S THE STREP.

13. Felt relieved that it was only sinus / allergy issues. So basically it was par for the springtime course.

14. Slowed down when I was driving down our street this morning because the dogwoods are starting to bloom and they’re my favorite.

15. Marveled at Hazel’s deep affection for shoes. She loves them and likes to have one in her mouth at all times unless she’s sleeping. This is why almost all of the shoes in this house are resting on an elevated surface right now.

16. Made the bold statement that McAlister’s Deli has the very best iced tea – but then I had some iced tea from Zaxby’s and now I’m wavering. I think I’ll stick with McAlister’s, though, since I’ve loved it longer.

17. Changed the lyrics to “Do You Want To Build A Snowman?” for pretty much every question I’ve asked Alex in the last 48 hours. And he is all better now, by the way. I doubt his recovery is directly connected to my singing, but it may have made him even more determined to get back to school so that he could escape my renditions of the songs from the Frozen soundtrack.

17. Discovered that there is a Sea Salt Caramel flavor of Talenti gelato and CALLED ON THE LORD right there next to the frozen food in the grocery store. I am trying to stay away from sweets during Lent, but y’all – SEA SALT CARAMEL GELATO. I stared at it for a long time and then pretended I could taste it and then practically caught a wheelie moving my grocery cart over to the cheese aisle so I could pretend again that some cheese would totally satisfy my gelato craving.

18. Packed an overnight bag because I’m meeting Melanie in Chicago tomorrow. We’re gonna spend Friday with our Tyndale people and I am just as tickled as I can be about that.

19. Listened to this album by the Oh, Hello’s over and over and over and over and over. Adore it.

20. Caught up on our Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon episodes on the DVR. It is such a treat.

21. Sneezed.

22. Rubbed my eyes.

23. Wondered why Taco Bell decided to get in the breakfast business and why teenage boys seem to think that it’s THE TASTIEST FOOD EVER.

24. Put a dress at Nordstrom in my online shopping cart – only to delete it. And then put it back in the shopping cart again. And then delete it. And then put it back in the shopping cart without buying it because DRESS COMMITMENTS ARE HARD.

How are y’all?

Comments

1. I am doing well and after reading your post I am even better :) Seriously, its a joy reading your post, it’s like hearing a friend talk … as we say here on Maui, we “talk story” :)

Aloha,
    Liza

• My thoughts exactly…except unfortunately I don’t live in Maui…just OK. You bring many smiles to my face.

2. You make me smile……pretty much all the time! :). See!

3. Christy says:

Oh! Zaxby’s tea is so good. And the ice puts it over the top.
    I’m currently putting a workout DVD in/out of my shopping cart-because I’m really enjoying my sofa lately. :)

4. Mary Feagley says:

Just watched “The Way Way Back,” and I’m telling you that if you haven’t treated yourself to this little gem, you totally should! Totally worth some A/V cord swapping! Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney are terrific in it…

5. I have strong, strong strong willpower, and usually don’t eat anything sweet, but I’ve been a huge fan of Talenti Sea Salt Caramel Gelato for over a year now. I hide it from the rest of my family under frozen veggies. I can’t get enough of it and now you’ve made me want it more.
    Oh, sorry about the sick kid. Glad he’s better.
    (gelato)

6. Merri Jo says:

Oh, my word, you & Melanie will be 10 min from my house when you’re at Tyndale! I know so many people there–several from my church. It’s going to be nasty, cold & blustery here in Wheaton on Friday I’m afraid. I’m delighting in dogwood blossoms vicariously through you–they are my fav, too! Have a fun trip, Sophie!

7. Sophie, you are a delight! You make strep, throw up and laundry interesting and fun. It’s a gift. And, sister, I hear you on all the technical TV stuff. I have some sort of box and amazon prime, but still don’t know how to watch a movie on the TV.

8. Kathleen G says:

Love this post! A day (or two) in a life of a Mom. Have a nice time with Bigmama and keep warm.

9. That Talenti Sea Salt Caramel is TO DIE FOR! The little bits of chocolate put it over the top. Second favorite flavor is Caribbean Coconut. Oh, my goodness… I have to steer clear of it, too. Maybe it would be the perfect Easter dessert.

10. I tried the Starbucks sweet tea yesterday and I am a fan.
    I am on grand baby #2 watch over here…due in 10ish days!!!!
    Have a fun trip to Chicago!

11. Poor sweet Sophie, you’ve only just now discovered see salt Caramel gelato by Talenti?!? Girl, that has been my undoing for a solid year now! Must catch up on Jimmy Fallon. And, yes, dress commitments are hard. I find swimsuit commitments almost impossible!

12. Melissa says:

OH my stars! You make me laugh so hard. Thank you so much. Hope your son is feeling better and no one else in the family gets “the strep”. It’s awful, but, allergies are awful, too.
    I am having brunch with my local Bible Study group. We finished studying Kelly Minter’s study of “Ruth” and now, we have brunch and get ready for our next study. Have a glorious day! :-)

13. We make everything into the “Do You Want to Build A Snowman?” song too! It hasn’t gotten old…yet…for me. Maybe for everyone else in my family.

That gelato does sound heavenly! I gave up jelly beans until after Easter which, HELLO, is THE Easter candy of choice so I am not having an easy time every time I shop ANYWHERE. I will do as you do, Sophie, next time and call upon the Lord and run to the cheese. I have to try something. My daughter offered me Jelly Bean flavored game at Target thinking it would be like the nicotine gum for smokers. I am pretty sure it would not be the same. AT ALL.

14. AliGirl says:

Oh my gracious! The Talenti Sea Salt Caramel gelato is off the charts delicious! I know you are trying to be good during Lent, but you may want to seriously contemplate a grocery run on the way home from church on Easter to pick some up. TOTALLY DELICIOUS!

15. I laughed out loud and the thought of catching a wheelie with the grocery cart. I am a sucker for anything that is Salted Caramel flavor too. At Whole Foods they sell containers of salted caramels. They are the best! Have you tried the Sea Salt Caramel Luna Pop? We get them at the beach. I looked up the map for you. They have Luna Pops at Whole Foods in Birmingham! :)

• Am I the only one who picks off the salt from chocolate/caramels? I just can’t stand the gritty grains of salt on the sweets. It makes me stay clear of anything “salted caramel”, and that might be a good thing!

16. Amy in Italy says:

25! You 10ed twice. #howdoyoudoitall

17. Natalie says:

There are no McAlister’s Delis in CA. I miss McAlister’s Deli…sometimes as much as I miss my extended family…kidding…but not really. :)

18. 26 things! (10 & 17 are listed twice). The Talenti Sea Salt Caramel is A.MAZ.ING!!! I recently discovered another likely to become favorite combination: Orange Leaf Cherry Yogurt with chocolate chips and hot fudge topping. The chocolate/cherry combo is great and I justify the two kinds of chocolate with the fact that it’s nonfat yogurt :)

19. Danielle says:

#6 – I went through this experience just the other day – made me long for the days when you had to get up off the couch to turn the knob on the TV with the rabbit ears.

20. Wow! You are SUCH a talented writer. I can’t wait for your next book.

21. Rebecca says:

I loved the podcast you did with Melanie! I always love your music recommendations and I think you will like this – try “The National” – I usually listen to them on Spotify. I just discovered them after a friend sent me a playlist and I AM ADDICTED.

22. Totally craving caramel gelato right now…

23. I got strep last year and literally went from eating lunch with my husband and feeling fine, to feeling like I had been hit by a Mack truck in a matter of 1 hour. Oddest thing ever, and honestly? I’d birth all 3 of my children again before having strep again. So glad Alex is feeling better!

24. Lydialou says:

I can’t believe you just discovered the Slightly Salted Caramel Gelato! It is Awesome! Sometimes they have it On Sale at Kroger and you can get TWO containers for $5.00. Ahhhh!

25. Beverly says:

I am so, so glad you have “discovered” the Oh Hellos! I have seen them three times now (including an awesome house show right after Christmas where I got to meet all the band members.) Their Christmas album is absolutely phenomenal and is all the more special because they love Jesus.

26. Doing well, thanks. Just wanted to let you know that as of Saturday, I have a new puppy, too. Bought myself an eight-week-old labradoodle, I did. Must get him some Bully and/or Bravo sticks. I think I saw Bully sticks at Pet Club yesterday. Baby’s name is Oliver, and, boy, is my shih tzu upset that he’s here!

27. Cheryl B says:

You are such a blessing! I loved that you slowed down to enjoy the dogwood blooms. And when Lent is over get yourself some of the gelato. It is soooo yummy!

28. Melanie says:

Zaxby’s iced tea is great in part because of that awesome ice

29. Heather says:

We have been battling raging stomach bug here. Yuck! I have been bosom buddies with the “Clo-rox” and the Lysol of late! HA HA! Sorry you’re little man has had strep. I gave up sweet tea for Lent…we don’t have McAlister’s in town, but there’s a Zaxby’s and I had no clue! My sister and I are both “good ice” fanatics. Will have to give that one a try! Have a save trip to Chicago and send some dogwood blooms toward NC!

30. Debbie Conerly says:

Two things Boomama…I know your mom loves “the Steinmart”. I was wondering if she ever gets “the headache” like my mom? And Pinterest should add a disclaimer that the wonderful foot soak of water, vinegar and Listerine they promote should also say…blue Listerine should not be used unless it is Dr. Suess week at school and you have a story about blue feet to go along with your stained feet!!

31. #6 – I think I mostly hate technology, except the times I love it. #10 – (the second) folded laundry – takes forever to put away, if ever. and towels, folded? takes even longer. My husband usually ends up folding the towels. Bless his heart. #16 you mentioned Zaxby’s. I love Zaxby’s and am over an hour from one. I am now craving their chicken salad sandwich Thank you. I don’t drink Iced tea, so can’t help you on that one. I know – how un-southern of me. But, in my defense, KY is a border state. #17 (the first) I have yet to see Frozen. #17 (the second) you had me at salted caramel. #24 – I have two, maybe three dresses in my closet that are all older than the hills and rarely ever worn. I have not purchased a new dress in forever. I so understand the commitment. The next time I even remotely find one that I like, I am going to purchase it in every color they have and two in my favorite color. I hate dress shopping. Ok, that is all. PS – I hope Alex is much better – since, after all, his health would be the most important thing on your list. Which by the way, I loved your list. You could make a grocery list entertaining to read. I recently told Emily, over at Chatting that her readers would read her grocery list. I suspect yours would too.

32. Karen Beymer says:

You have sparked my interest in Apple TV, even though it was a pain.
    Going to talk with an “Apple Genius”, maybe tempt him to come to my house with
    Sea Salt Caramel Gelato!!

33. Just found your blog, so now there are elevens of people reading every day :) This post made me laugh out loud. My 16 year old thinks Taco Bell is the greatest food in the world and would eat there every day if he could. I’m constantly getting emails from my favorite stores telling me “you still have items in your cart” because I have almost-buyers remorse and leave before purchasing something. Glad your son is feeling better. Hope you have an amazing weekend!