College Football And Other Joyous Events

I realize that most people are probably sick to death of hearing about how I haven’t finished my book yet (assuming that anyone is actually, you know, reading here anymore, especially given my sporadic posting over the last three months). I’ve been sick of it, too, mainly because I feel like the process has dragged out for SO STINKIN’ LONG. I could probably list 15 reasons why the time factor was way more challenging with this one – starting with the fact that I wasn’t doing any speaking stuff when I wrote the first one – but the fact of the matter is that none of the reasons really matter anymore because last night around 10:30 I finished the last of the edits.

ALL THE WAY FINISHED.

WITH THE WHOLE THING.

It occurred to me this morning that when I finished A Little Salty…, my fellas and I high-fived and whooped and celebrated. But when I finished Home is Where My People Are, I put my head down on the kitchen table and bawled my eyes out.

AND IT IS DONE.

So today has been a pressure-free delight. Our next door neighbor came over this morning to play with Alex, so I turned on GameDay, and I planned out a menu for the week (last time that happened: I DON’T EVEN KNOW), and then I went to the grocery store. I made lunch right here in my very own kitchen (as opposed to, for instance, the inside of Chipotle), and then I took a nap. The fellas left to run some errands while I was asleep, and I slept so hard that I had no idea where I was when I woke up.

So that was delightful.

And now, of course, we are AWASH in football. We’ve watched Auburn and Arkansas and Alabama and West Virginia and we’re about to watch my beloved Mississippi State Bulldogs play Southern Miss. The last time State and Southern Miss played was 1990, and when State scored at the end of the 4th quarter to win the game, students started throwing EVERYTHING. I was at the game with my friend Bubba, and as we were jumping up and down and up and down and up and down, we heard a loud “THUD” and realized that I’d been hit in the head by a very large (and thankfully empty) liquor bottle.

Sweet memories.

Anyway, we’re not in Starkville for the game today, but we’re about to tune in to the SEC Network and watch and eat supper and hopefully cheer the ‘Dogs on to victory.

Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 6.56.02 PM

Let’s go, Dak Prescott.

Thanks for all your sweet emails and prayers and encouraging comments – I am so grateful for them and for y’all and for the Lord being sweet enough to give me some words. And now that the book is finished, we have all the time and bloggy space we need to talk about snack crackers and music and TV and dips and and wide-legged pants and whatnot.

You have no idea how happy I am about that.

Hope y’all are having a great weekend!

Comments

1. Yay, your back!!! Can’t wait to read more blog posts!

2. Hot diggity dog! Congrats on finishing the book, and I can’t wait to read it. As for ballgames, Arkansas is currently suffering from a bad case of game-us interrupt-us due to the lightning delays, as you surely know. :-/

3. Mandy M. says:

SO happy you’re back! And I can’t wait to get my hands on the new book. I know it’ll be worth every second you spent on it.

4. And podcasts? Is there time for podcasts? At the beginning of the summer I started at podcast NUMBER ONE and listened to every single one. In order. I’m not joking. (You don’t need to be scared of me.)

• I’m totally with Blair on this one. My daughter and I are waiting. She asks almost daily after school, “Is there a new Big Boo Cast yet?!” But no pressure. ;)

5. Looking forward to your new book AND more blogging AND more podcasts AND … well, MORE!!

6. Congratulations! So happy for college football and we are LOVING the SEC network!

I feel like your accomplishment calls for a diptacular link-up celebration!

7. Also, the return or car line calls for some podcasts!

8. Sallie Baker says:

So glad you are back!!
    Couldn’t start college football without you!!

9. Yay! Waiting on a new podcast as I sit in my Old Navy linen wide leg pants from last season. These are a treasure I tell ya.

CAn’t wait to read the new book.

10. Yes!! So glad you are finished!! Congratulations. I’m looking forward to it !

11. Martha's Mother says:

Hey Boo!

So glad you are back! Missed you and can’t wait to read the book! Bought my first pair of wide legged pants! Wearing them to church tomorrow! Will be like de ja vu all over again!

12. Kathleen G says:

Ever since listening to your pod casts with Bigmama, when I read your blog I hear your voice and I love it. Just like when I read Bigmamas blog. Thank you for being real. Have a relaxing Holiday weekend and give your Hazel a big hug! Love that name! Mmmm now I have a craving for chips & dip. Well 9:00pm here. Not to late! Kathleen in Az

13. I feel like all can say is, “Bless your heart!” While I selfishly have missed your blog posts I am so glad you are writing books. I loved your first one so much! So glad you got a nap! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

14. Yay! Well done and congrats re the big win tonight too!

15. Erin in CO says:

Goodness gracious, Sophie. I just love you. Reading this made me smile after every other sentence : ) Congrats on FINISHING the book, all of it. And I second that emotion of all the happy feelings college football brings each fall. SO happy GameDay is back. Blessings, lady. Have a great Labor Day weekend.

16. Kim from Ga says:

Congratulations on finishing the edits to your book. Like many of your other readers I’m eagerly anticipating this book. Although the time away from blogging was necessary I’m so glad you’re back! I’ve missed you and your commentary on life down here in the South. Welcome back to the blogosphere!

17. Debbie Allen says:

Looking forward to getting your new book!! Because of you I always check on the Mississippi State games, hoping for a win, just for you. But I’m a Longhorn, Hook ‘em Horns

18. I’m so glad you’re back!! Time for a new podcast too :)
    War eagle! Glad it’s FINALLY football season. Can’t wait to read the new book!

19. Oh, THERE you are, Peter! Welcome back :) And praise the Lord on finishing that book. An accomplishment, indeed! Can’t wait to get my hands on it and then start passing it around to all my people!

20. Congrats!
    Looking forward to reading your new book!

21. Aunt Nancy says:

I never gave up on you….I just kept checking in and checking back. So happy for your accomplishment and congratulations on finishing your book. Can’t wait to read it.
    Looking forward to regular posts again. Love you.

22. Welcome back! And congrats on finishing your book. Can’t wait to read it, because I know it will be wonderful!

23. Congrats! Can’t imagine what a weight is lifted off your shoulders! Can’t wait to read the book, and I too am so excited for the return of college fb! :)

24. Awww, I’m just so glad you’ve finished it. A double reason for celebration. Triple! A book for the rest of us to look forward to, bloggy fun making a come back and YAY, you can SLEEP!

25. I am so happy that you are finished with the book. I see there is a Pre-Order on Amazon. Looking forward to reading the book. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. You are a special lady, Sophie Hudson. God Bless You. :-)

26. Congrats on finishing the book. Can’t wait till it comes out! And so happy you finished it before football started. Now you can devote your attention to the Bulldogs!