Up Next: More Pajamas

We started Christmas vacation on Friday, and I have basically been hanging out in my pajamas like it’s my job. I did put on regular clothes before we went to church this morning – I felt like it was the least I could do – but after I got home this afternoon, I immediately made the switch back to loungewear. There’s just no good reason to stay confined in things that button and zip.

Our weekend wasn’t eventful at all – which means it was my very favorite kind. Plus, Thursday night I remembered something that made Friday even better.

I know that’s sort of a strange memory, but I thought about those McRae’s gift wrappers all day Friday. Alex was playing with friends most of the afternoon, so I just cut and taped and tagged and had the best time (I also started listening to Serial, but that is probably another discussion for another day since I am still trying to process it all).

Saturday I wrapped the last few things while David and Alex made a Costco run, and then I did a whole lot of nothing in particular for the rest of the day. I cooked some stuff, watched some stuff, washed some stuff – but it was all so low-key that there was a point late in the afternoon when I thought, AM I BORED? IS THIS WHAT BORED FEELS LIKE? But then I decided that was crazy talk and started to work on my grocery list.

Clearly this is exactly the level of wild and crazy activity that inspired Ricky Martin’s incomparable “Livin’ La Vida Loca.”

And then today, after we got home from Chuy’s, I decided that I would brave the crowds and go to the grocery store. This was a COMPLETELY AMATEUR MOVE on my part – I should have known better – but I wanted to get all my canned goods and breakfast stuff squared away. And while I guess it’s nice to know that I have almost everything I need for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day meals, I won’t soon forget the chaos of the grocery store. I’ve never seen more people hovering over a meat case full of hams in my life.

And the paper goods aisle? ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

By the way, I decided that I’m going with a little bit of a Mexican food theme on Christmas Day. I’m keeping it pretty mild since Mama doesn’t like spicy food, but I think it’ll be a fun change – and I’ll get back to the more traditional fare on New Year’s. Right now I’m planning to make creamy chicken enchiladas, a beef and rice dish that looks like it’s going to be so good, salsa and guacamole (of course), and a Mexican twist on Brussels sprouts because the recipe intrigues me. Tres leches cake is dessert – and then we’ll need some real strong coffee to counteract the sugar crash. As you do.

So that’s the latest from our house. And while I don’t have any idea how often I’ll post these next couple of weeks, I do think that there’s a better-than-average chance that there will be a new podcast Tuesday morning (with a special guest, no less).

Hope y’all had a wonderful weekend – and Merry Christmas, everybody!

Comments

1. Lisa Bingham says:

I was so hoping for a new podcast! Yeah! With FryDaddy??? 😄
    Merry Christmas Sophie!

2. Kathleen G says:

Merry Christmas Boomama! Have a delicious Mexican Christmas dinner with your people. Tamales are very popular during this time of year in Phoenix. Looking forward to the podcast, Kathleen in Az

3. Ann in Maryland says:

New podcast? I’m there!!

4. A Mexican twist on brussel sprouts!? Do tell.

5. Yay for a podcast!!!!! Merry Christmas!

6. After your Facebook post, I spent over an hour looking online for historical photos of McRaes in Meridian (don’t go down that rabbit hole, not good results). Have a wonderful Christmas Sophie, ‘ole!

7. Kim from GA says:

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Sophie. Mexican food instead of the traditional roast/ham/turkey sounds ideal. I’m also looking forward to your next podcast with Melanie. You two are hoots and always have interesting “nothing” topics to discuss. Again, I wish you a blessed holiday season.

8. Heather Spell says:

OHHHHH. Serial. I listened to the first 8 in one day. Some of the last ones aren’t as great but the series as a whole is so interesting!

9. Oooh please discuss Serial in the podcast!! Loved it. When you’re done you have to watch the SNL spoof of it. Too funny.

10. I commented on thebigmamablog.com this morning that I feel I have some sort of “six degrees of separation” going on with Melanie — and now I feel it with you as well. I loved McRae’s in Jackson, MS. Seriously…we share some friends here and there. Every now and then you’ll slip a name in a blog post or a tweet, and I spend the next two hours racking my brain trying to figure out if we had a class together at State or maybe I knew you from a friend at FarmHouse. I used to sing in the choir at Englewood in Jackson, TN. We moved the year before Travis joined the staff. I still have friends who sing in the choir with him, and they LOVE him.

11. We could be sisters. Pajama sisters. Pajama-clad, Mexican food-eating sisters. We are having Mexican food for our Christmas Day meal as well! Thank you for sharing part of your life with all of us! Merry Christmas from Arkansas! :)

12. Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family Sophie, and many blessings for the New Year! I love your book and your blog, thanks for always brightening my day. You are a true blessing!

13. Please share with us the Brussels sprouts with a Mexican twist if they turn out good. My 14 year old is obsessed with Brussels sprouts right now and we are always looking for new ways to prepare them.

14. I just finished listening to “Serial” and I am STILL processing it all!!

15. Julie Reynolds says:

Oh I love the wrapping idea, what a great use of the bar… and why didn’t any of us think of that? So looking forward to the podcast? Could it be we might actually here from FryDaddy?? ;) Have a very Merry Christmas Sophie!

16. I called my mom after leaving the grocery store on Saturday and said I was pleasantly surprised with the low crowds. You just confirmed it was worth getting out and saving myself the post-church grocery store headache yesterday as I’m sure my store was just as much of a madhouse. So happy you’ve chosen Mexican food for Christmas…that’s what we always have and nothing says Christmas cheer to me like a good enchilada ; ) Have a great week!!!

17. Ever since listening to the fianal SERIAL episode, I cannot read enough about it to slake my thirst for more…..cannot wait to hear your thoughts about it at some point. Merry Christmas, Sophie, and thank you for the pure joy you bring us all year long.

18. Robin in Meridian says:

You won’t believe it, but the SAME tape dispenser is being used to this day at the Belk customer service counter in Meridian! I love those same memories too!

19. I have to admit that this is my favorite time of year mostly because of the pajamas. I usually start wearing mine on the 24th and don’t get dressed for real until sometime way after Christmas. This year Christmas is on Thursday which basically means a 5 day holiday so I don’t expect to leave my flannels until Monday.

20. kuliejellogg says:

Amen to those asking for your take on serial. And even more unimportantly, we had a Mexican food potluck Christmas party, and it was perfection.

21. I got busy yesterday and forgot to comment. I have read all the comments and I just can’t believe no one has asked, no one has commented about it…..what you say? Well, that snowman with the top hat wrapping paper!!!! So, so cute!!! Wrapping is sort of my thing…ha, ha…much to my family’s dismay….ha, ha…..and that paper is darling!!!! Just thought you should know!!!!

22. We had red and green enchiladas last year. I liked the idea of red and green sauce for Christmas. (One pan of red, one of green.) It was a fun change.

23. You have gone crazy with the en- and em-dashes! Not used to seeing them here. You’re using them where commas and semicolons should be (periods, sometimes). I know they’re fun, but they ruin the flow of your stories when used in the wrong place :) Best to you.

24. Sherrie Lynn says:

McRae’s was the best store ever. Still miss it. We have a delicious seafood casserole on Christmas day! Yumalicious.

25. McRae’s. I miss it so. I worked at the gift wrap counter during Christmas during high school and college at the Greenville store. Which made traveling from fun Starkville to boring Greenville somewhat bearable. It was always fun until some poor soul of a husband would carry back one of those odd shaped rotissere ovens that you just knew was going to go over like a bag of bricks and a complete pain to wrap. And those busy times when you had to work in the fragrance area with no fresh air in sight.

Also – The Cracker Jack Sale!!! They lost some luster when they were purchased by Saks and Belk just isn’t even close.

Trackbacks

1. […] We started Christmas vacation on Friday, and I have basically been hanging out in my pajamas like it’s my job. …read more       […]

2. SEO Services says: