The Big Boo Cast, Episode 46

bigboographic

You know what happens when you record a podcast without a plan?

You wind up talking about things like sparkling water and frankincense and grocery lists and Kate’s post-childbirth public appearance – and somehow you convince yourself that all of those topics just flow effortlessly from one to the next.

They don’t really flow effortlessly at all. But we’re just as enthusiastic as we can be about every one of them, so surely that counts for something.

We also talk about wedding hashtags, and I am still so tickled by the hashtag that Melanie came up with 18 years after the fact that I may start using it on Instagram.

Once again there’s not a single mention of Amy Grant. All I know to do about it is to apologize and assure you that we won’t fail you in this way ever again.

You can click here to listen. Or here. You can even listen right here on the blog.

Or, as always, you can subscribe on iTunes if you’re feeling particularly fancy.

Enjoy, y’all!

Comments

1. Rachel McCoy says:

Sophie, I listened on my way to work today and I just needed to comment about the La Croix phase. My husband loves it, so I buy the orange flavor weekly. I still do not get it! I think because it comes in a can I’m expecting it to be sweet like a pop, but I can’t help but think it tastes like alka-seltzer. A tip—I found I liked it a little better when I mixed it with equal parts orange juice. I think Melanie was onto something when she said she mixes it up like a “mock-tail,” as it’s really better tasting (to me) when it’s mixed in something sweet.

Also, I know you love your Crystal Light, but have you seen the True Lemon drink mixes? They are little packets you can mix in to your water and they come in some different flavors. Apparently they are all natural and have not that much sugar, but I’m loving them! They come in a yellow box and are next to the Crystal Light, at least in my store here in Cincinnati. I like the strawberry one best.

I loved your theory on Kate having the baby a week ago. Had not even thought of that angle, but I think it makes way more sense. Hoping that was the case for her sake.

Love this podcast! My favorite way to spend my early morning commutes!

2. I was a vehement brussels sprouts hater for 30 years, but this recipe CHANGED MY LIFE. It’s from Mark Bittman with the NY Times. Love him. My toddler and preschooler still won’t eat Brussels sprouts, but I’m not a miracle worker :)

1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts
    5T olive oil
    2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
    Salt + pepper
    1T balsamic vinegar

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    2. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 20 minutes.
    3. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and serve hot or warm.

3. Mary Kat's Mom says:

I’ve just always clicked off when y’all said “Bye” but today I hung around and had a great time with the last few songs!!! Great job, girls!!! So funny and I want to try the new skin care regimen.

4. Kristen says:

I have bought the LaCroix water off and on for years. My favorite flavor right now is the peach-pear. It’s good. Sometimes I add a Splenda packet. I know that probably negates the health factor but it’s still no calories. Also, I have had the cranberry a lot and sometimes I add a little splash of cranberry juice. Same with the orange flavor and orange juice. The juice adds some calories of course, but still just a splash is much less than a real soda. I’m not a Diet Coke, etc. lover though. I love the real thing! Haha! :)

5. Kristen S says:

Love your podcast! It really brightens my day!

6. Kellie B says:

I absolutely LOVE y’all’s podcast. I have just recently stumbled upon it and it has brought me such joy to go back and listen to everything y’all have talked about over the years. Keep em coming! And HAIL STATE!!!

7. First of all, loved your second book!!
    Oh the talk on the podcast about the current trend in engagement pictures!!! So funny. When you said you were going to tell your husband to “stand way off in the distance and stare at me”, I laughed out loud! Too funny. This is probably more for Melanie than you, but in case you are tempted to become a Frankincense user as well, you might want to read about my funny but true “incident” with the Wise Men oil. Except I didn’t use it wisely. http://chairsfromthecurb.blogspot.com/2014/06/nothing-good-happens-after-midnight.html

8. Love,love the music at the end,must be Frye daddy’s input! I enjoyed the whole podcast. Thank you for making me laugh. I have to admit my engagement pictures may or may have not included me and my husband on a playground slide!

9. I laughed so hard at the hashtag wedding talk! I got married in 2012 and came in right under the hashtag line. It’s the Lord’s favor on that one. ANYWAY. I was on pinterest and discovered there is a wedding site that has a hashtag generator! I kinda joined it to see what ours would be. We are lame like the Merankles. #PottsGarrottMerger was the suggestion.

10. Elaine Moore says:

Oh Y’all!!! There’s is nothing that compares to your pod talks! Mercy me!
    The only problem is they are over way too fast – feels like only 10 min. You 2 are just way too fun!

11. Amy Joliet says:

Loved the reference to the snake oil salesman on LHOTP – vividly remember that episode! I really love listening to your podcast – it always makes me laugh out loud.

12. Stephanie R. says:

I always enjoy listening to the podcast! My new TV show of choice- Secrets and Lies on ABC. It’s dark and it also twists and turns, but it is so good! My husband and I were hooked after the first show.

13. I have listened to every single one of your podcasts and I think this one might be top 5 all-time funniest. I laughed out loud so many times. You two make my week when you record a new one. Thank you!

14. Pamplemousse is French for grapefruit ‘)

15. This was a great one. They part about the Duchess and Princess Charlotte looking so good was hilarious. Especially Melanie’s comparison to a lemon being pushes through a straw. I agree ….no way could she have had that baby that day. haha Also loved the hashtag & associates :-)

16. THANK YOU for this!!! It was like a big breath of fresh air in the midst of the full-blown May crazy!! I snorted at least twice, and when you were talking Lacroix and Melanie said she was squeezing a lime in it I laughed hard enough to summon my people from upstairs. Good medicine for this mostly nuts Mom!

17. Connie says:

Girls…so funny…I’ve been listening to your old podcasts while working around the house the past few weeks. Today I was listening to November 2013 and you talked about your engagement pictures in that one too! I had deja vu. There was also talk of the Royal Baby conspiracy when the first baby was born a couple years back. So funny to hear the same topics coming up again.

18. I savour, lead to I found just what I used to be looking
    for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye