It’s About To Get Real Fancy

I’ll be the first to admit that I can develop a resistance to the strangest things. For example, texting. It took me YEARS to get on board. I thought it was way too much work (well, back in the day, it was) and I didn’t understand why people wouldn’t just pick up the phone and make a phone call. And then I’m pretty sure that I’ve blogged before about my tendency to avoid movies that get super-popular because I figure there’s no way they can live up to expectations. This is why I still have never seen Titanic, and at some point I’m sure that my failure to do so will probably get me kicked out of America or something.

It’s super easy for me to fall into the same way of thinking when it comes to blog stuff. When everybody was talking about search engine optimization seven or eight years ago, I vowed and declared that I did not have enough mental energy to think of things like tags and keywords and etc. I did the same thing with a blog Facebook page because I didn’t see the point. I finally gave in on that one after four or five years of stubborness, mainly because I realized that people were using FB like a feed reader and it made good sense to get on board with that.

SO – when people started doing newsletters for their blogs several years ago, I tried to have an open mind. I really did think it sounded like an interesting addition to the normal blog routine, mainly because I love relational things. But when I finally got around to signing up for a Mail Chimp account, I couldn’t figure out how to build a newsletter list, and after approximately seven minutes of tech-y frustration, I was all DONE, THANK YOU, I TRIED, THAT’S IT.

giphy

This is precisely the kind of determined stick-to-it-ness you hope to see in your kids and nieces and nephews one day, isn’t it? In fact, now that I think about it, maybe I should write a book called It’s Good to Give Up: Lessons I’ve Learned From Quitting.

Anyway, “having a blog newsletter” somehow made its way to the same mental list where “watching The Blind Side” also lives (I’ve made it six years without seeing The Blind Side, so why would I start now?), and I figured that it was going to be yet another one of those perfectly good things that I just never got around to doing.

HOWEVER.

A few weeks ago I was talking to Melanie, and she assured me that putting a newsletter together was very enjoyable and not nearly as tech-y as I feared (Melanie started a newsletter a couple of month ago; it is such a treat to read, so make sure to sign up on her blog). By the time we hung up the phone, I figured it couldn’t hurt to see if my blog wizard friend Karla could help me with getting the newsletter set up.

And here’s the short answer: yes. Yes, she could. In roughly 16 minutes she was able to do all the things I’d given up on over a year ago.

So ALL THAT TO SAY: I’m going to have a newsletter. How about that fanciness? And it’ll basically cover all sorts of random things that I don’t necessarily put on the blog. I imagine that I’ll write more about what I’m reading and what I’m cooking and what I’m watching and what I’m learning and what I’m ordering at Chuy’s. I would love to have a section called “Martha’s Jacket of the Month,” but that might have to be a quarterly feature since I don’t get to see Martha’s jackets nearly as much as I’d like. I won’t bombard you with emails or anything like that; it’ll just be a simple newsletter maybe 2 or 3 times a month. Probably 2. Maybe just 1 during football season.

Sign-up is super easy; all you have to do is type in your name and email. And there might be a little CAPTCHA thing because SPAMBOTS. I’m planning to send out the first issue sometime in mid-June.

I’m excited about doing something new AND doing something that I thought I wouldn’t do. But this certainly does not mean that I’m about to go watch Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCaprio lean over the front (is the the bow?) of a ship while Celine Dion sings “My Heart Will Go On.” And I don’t even know if those two things happen at the same time because I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it but I’VE NEVER SEEN THE MOVIE.

I see no reason to reverse that decision, by the way.

After all, I changed my mind about the newsletter.

No sense going crazy.

Love,
I Haven’t Seen The Notebook, Either

Comments

1. Diane Jennings says:

I signed up for the newsletter about 2 seconds after you posted the link on FB the other night. ;-)

I haven’t seen either Titanic or The Blind Side. I have, however, seen The Notebook and I would dearly love to have those roughly 2 hours of my life back to do something more enjoyable, yea even tolerable. I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan, I found out real quick-like. My apologies to those who think he’s all that.

2. The Blind Side *AND* The Notebook? Impressive. Kinda makes me sad, but still, impressive.

I’m signing up. I like fancy.

3. I have not seen The Notebook because sappy love stories make my skin crawl. But I have implored you to see The Blind Side & I will put in another plug. Has Alex seen it? If not, pop yourself some popcorn & settle in for a movie that has so many life lessons. Especially for a college football fan-you must! (Titanic..it was good for a single viewing.) Most important-excited about the newsletter!

• The Blind Side—I watched it again on Sunday. Tears again. such a touching relationship. that’s what sticks out in my mind as the important part of the movie, not the football stuff. Such a good Mama. and Dad. and family.

4. As a fellow southern, football loving woman, I can not believe you’ve never seen “The Blind Side.”

This must be remedied. Quick. Fast. And in a hurry.

Seriously.

5. Christine says:

Oh. My. Goodness. There is no one who’s company I would more enjoy when I get kicked out of America for not seeing those same movies! I thought for sure I was the only one in the world who’d missed those! And as for Titanic, it was for exactly the same reason… It can’t possibly be all that and a bag of chips. The ship sinks. Why get all emotionally invested when we all know what’s coming. I haven’t seen 16 Candles either. It’s well past it’s cultural moment. Perhaps you could give highlights in the blog newsletter I just signed up for!

6. Tina Thunell says:

Yay for the newsletter!! I would encourage you to watch the blindside. I would think you would enjoy it since, football. It is a sweet story.

7. Signed right up. Can’t wait! I’ve never seen The Blind Side or read or seen any Nicholas Sparks.

• Susan B says:

I would recommend that you read (movie is “ok”, but the book is excellent) “Nights in Rodanthe”…love that one and am not a huge Sparks fan.

8. Love the newsletter thing!! I, too, have never seen “Titanic”. And honestly….I don’t feel bad about it at all!

9. Christy Jones says:

The Blind Side and The Notebook are worth seeing….

10. Melanie says:

Hmmm…I, too, have some weird ideas about movies…I really don’t care for movies and very rarely watch them….but I have to say, I really wish you would see The Notebook for several reasons, but primarily because the film beautifully captures unconditional love and i am a big believer in unconditional love. In my younger days, I did watch movies, and have seen many love stories, but nothing touches The Notebook.

11. I signed up for the newsletter as soon as I saw that you were going to do one. Very exciting! I can be the same way about movies that everyone is talking about. Never seen American Beauty, Braveheart or The English Patient.

I hated Titanic. You’re not missing anything. I thought it would be more historical but they just turned it into a somewhat unbelievable love story with nudity/s*x to please the Hollywood types. I’m probably bitter about that part because I saw it at the theater with my then boyfriend’s parents who I had JUST met for the first time so it was very embarrassing.

I liked the Notebook though. Haven’t seen Blindside.

12. I’m not going to question your judgement on Titanic or The Notebook. I’m surprised about The Blind Side, though. Is it just because they’re an Ole Miss family? Lol. The first time I watched The Notebook, it was sad ( the book seemed way sadder). After Granddaddy was diagnosed, I couldn’t even look at Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling on screen for a scene, any scene in the whole movie, without bawling. I have almost completely given up on Nicholas Sparks because there just aren’t enough Kleenex.

13. Sallie Baker says:

Didn’t I once hear you say that The Sound of Music is ALSO on your haven’t watched list…????

14. Terrie Cash says:

Signing up as soon as I finish my comment. You haven’t missed much with not seeing the Titanic and the Notebook is give or take. However, I am not one to buy movies or TV series. I own two movies, The Help and Blindside. If you saw The Help and enjoyed it, you will enjoy The Blindside. If you wait too much longer, you will be distracted by the outdated clothing.

15. Oh, Sophie, you have NOT MISSED ONE THING by not seeing Titanic. That was 16 hours of my life I will never get back. Well, maybe not 16 hours, but it surely felt like it. But I would recommend Blind Side. Anyhoo, I’m so excited about your newsletter! Enjoy your summer. I am trying to get in all the fun, because my only child is leaving for college in two months. {sounds of soft sobbing}

16. I’m sorry to say that I watched Titanic and don’t care to see it again. It is a sappy love story. Watched Notebook finally just last year, it’s neither here or there. It was “okay”. But I love The Blindside. I love football anyway and Sandra Bulluck. I would encourage you to watch it. I don’t think you’d regret it.

17. votemom says:

don’t see The Notebook. but yes, read the book. but have kleenex and a headache remedy ready for the last 80 pages or so.

18. Melissa says:

Super duper excited! I signed up. :-)

19. Yeah, what BethA says about Titanic – 16 hours of my life I will never get back. Rates right up there with Nacho Libre, in my opinion!

Blindside? Totally worth it!

Excited to read your newsletter!

20. Connie says:

Looking forward to the newsletter. I’m not much of a movie person, but The Notebook is one I will watch every time I find it on TV. I have seen Titanic once and was unimpressed. I’ve never seen Blindside, but it was on TV just last night — right after The Help. I changed the channel and thought of you.

21. Jennifer says:

I was fine with you not seeing titanic and blind side. But I did a “I can’t believe” when I read your closing! But i guess there’s no convincing you on the notebook!

22. Mary Lynn says:

I don’t bother with most movies- Did unfortunately see Titanic when it came out years ago. Looking forward to the newsletters!

23. Titanic is overrated, The Notebook is worth watching once, and don’t bother with The Blind Side since you’re a Bulldog!

24. I love me some fancy! Can’t wait for your newsletter.

Blind Side. Yes, it’s a sappy feel good movie. What’s your point? I loved it.
    Titanic. I am in the didn’t see it club. Ditto Jaws and The Notebook.

Happy day!

25. Yay! Fancy is my favorite, I’m excited about your newsletter!

PLEASE stop what you are doing & watch The Blindside! It is wonderful (the book is good too, if you like football). That movie has become one of our Thanksgiving weekend traditions (that one & Planes, Trains & Automobiles). ;)

But Titanic…that’s three hours of my life I cannot get back. Stay strong, friend!

26. Lisa D. says:

I join you in your not seeing of Titanic. I did see The Notebook, but I’m not a fan. Parts of it are too close to real life. But The Blind Side? Now, THAT is worth your time. :) Just my two cents and I’m looking forward to your newsletters. :)

27. Signed up.
    Looking forward to it.
    Titanic wasn’t all that for me…
    Have never seen The Notebook…
    LOVE The Blind Side —> give in to that one — it’s Mississippi!!!

28. You need to see The Blind Side, if only for the cameos by SEC coaches!! Nick Saban, Houston Nutt, and even Lou Holtz!

29. While I feel you should definitely watch Titanic because I’d hate for you to be thrown out of American for that sin, I personally think the bigger issue is with you not watching The Blind Side. You’d love it, JUST LOVE IT!
    Also, a Martha section in the newsletter would be wonderful, JUST WONDERFUL!

30. Sarah P says:

Oh, you MUST see The Notebook! There is so much southern goodness….. with some heartbreak too. But it so precious! And The Blind Side… Leigh Ann Tuohy is the best. You will want to be her best friend!

31. I haven’t seen The Blind Side or The Notebook either. I really want to see The Blind Side but seems I’ve never gotten around to it. I did see Titanic and actually wished I hadn’t. I HATE SAD MOVIES. And it’s not like I didn’t know ahead of time that the ship would sink, but I gave into the hype… sigh… I was younger and more of a pushover then. Haha.

32. Seriously?! The Blind Side, The Notebook, AND Titanic?! That’s just wrong. You need a movie intervention. Please watch them! Soon.

33. Stick to your resolve about the Titanic but DO see The Blind Side. It is so up your alley being a college football lover! Fabulous life lessons in it about helping teens in need! You will love it!
    Fun fact: when I first heard Melanie’s voice I thought it sounded just like Sandra Bullock’s in The Blind Side. : )

34. Ok, I’ll sign up for your newsletter! Just because I love your randomness so much. And, of the three movies you mentioned you hadn’t watched? (I’ve seen all three by the way) If you are only going to break over and watch one of them, I’d choose The Blindside. But, you know, only if you want to live dangerously and break over on another never gonna do….
    Happy Summer. Look forward to the first newsletter, if I can find it in my overloaded inbox which had over 700 emails at last check.

35. Can’t wait for the newsletter! I wish I hadn’t seen Titanic–does that count? Haven’t seen the Notebook and don’t plan to–not big into sappy movies. The one that will probably get me exiled along with you is that I haven’t seen Forest Gump. The more people tell me I need to see it, the more I really don’t wanna. I’m kind of contrary like that. ;-)

• Rachel says:

I make people mad or surprised every time I say I don’t like Forrest Gump!

36. Please…Martha’s jackets…please, I would love to see them! And you have GOT to watch The Blind Side. As a football fan and a mama, you would love it.

37. Okay, SEC football fan – you MUST see The Blind Side. It is just – well it’s great! You will appreciate the football stuff so much! By the way, I’m a VOLS fan, but love you anyway!

38. Don’t waste your time on Titanic. As my great Aunt Louise/Auntsy said “Those poor people were in the water for WAY too long!” I’m not a crazed Notebook fan by far, but both of my daughters absolutely love love love it. The Blindside was good the first couple of times, mostly because of football, and SJ, and Sandra Bullock’s accent. It did give me all the feels the first 2 times I watched.

Also, I’ll sign up for the newsletter just to see Martha’s jackets.

39. So excited about your newsletter. Your writing is delightful. and a little extra Sophie will make people happy!!

40. SueEllen says:

Oh Sophie! I, too, have never seen The Notebook or all of Titanic; but how, oh how, have you never watched The Blindside?? It is a sweet movie (I love their accents) and the great institution of SEC football plays an integral role! I highly recommend it for your summer viewing.
    Also, I subscribed and can’t wait to read your newsletter!

41. Tricia says:

That is one of my favorite video clips from the Big Bang Theory!!! And yes I’ll jump on the bandwagon and say Blind Side is totally worth it even if it’s about TSUN

42. Amanda says:

I do love me some Blind Side and The Notebook, but to each her own. I’m most excited about Sheldon in this post. Big Bang is seriously the most hilarious show. I’ve gotten fairly sick of TV lately(that probably made you gasp), but that is one show we never miss. Please be sure to include Sheldon in the newsletter. Thanks!

43. Trudy L says:

Yay for the newsletter!!! And even though you’ll be really busy during football season, I think you ought to keep up the newsletters because you’ll have lots of SEC to chat about! Yay! I can’t wait! :)
    The Titanic was long and sad. I hate sad. It was so awful at the end of the (did I say long?) movie to think that it actually really happened. I couldn’t shake it for a long time. It is better to read about the actual historical event, but not make it into a production. Never see the movie Sophie! IMO, life’s too short for movies– better to stick to college sports! :)

44. Cindy G says:

Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn’t like Titanic. What a relief! And I have to say, Nicholas Sparks’ films seem contrived….and they bum me out.
    On the other hand, I loved The Blind Side. And I love Sophie’s honesty about herself, and the beautiful sweet humor she employs to talk to us about life and personality differences and what’s really important.
    You rock girl.

45. Rachael b says:

I haven’t seen any of those movies either. Most people are shocked and amazed by that fact! I’m excited to receive your newsletter!

46. Missy Bush says:

I am excited about the newsletter and have signed up!

I am not a movie watcher in general. I have not seen “Titanic” or “The Notebook” and probably never will…..too much emotion on purpose, but my daughter convinced me to watch “The Blindside”. She has no interest in sports, but it is one of her very favorite movies….(her other favorites are “September Issue” and “Jane Eyre”.) I think that is what got me to watch….it seemed such an unlikely choice for her. I have to admit that it was worth a watch. I also have to admit that I have watched it again, on my own, without my daughter. True confessions. I think you would like it. On a day when you need to have your faith in humanity restored, along with a dose of SEC football, give it a watch.

47. Pat W. says:

I would recommend reading The Notebook but not watching the movie. The movie was terrible in comparison to the book. And here is the thing that is the only Nicholas Sparks book I have ever read or been able to get into, but it was really good and still sticks in my mind. Also, I would recommend seeing The Blind Side, it is such a good movie and I don’t like to watch sports at all. Here is how much I don’t like sports…I am from Kentucky and NEVER watch KY basketball. LOL! Lastly, I can’t wait to get the newsletter!!

48. The Titanic and The Notebook I could take or leave but I have watched and rewatched The Blind Side. It is so good. The scene where Sandra Bullock jumps the queue I have watched multiple times it is just so good. Sorry I’m repeating myself.

I have been listening to the BigBoo podcasts and thoroughly enjoying them.

49. I didn’t just watch Titanic, The Blindside & The Notebook–I bought them. Because…America.👊🏼 And because I embrace new things… like #texting… I shall subscribe to your fancy new shenanigans.

50. bamacurl says:

I’ve seen them all and I understand why not The Blindside. The Notebook, lets just say the book leveled me after my grandmothers dementia. Did not see Titanic because I was 6 months pregnant and knew the impossibility of sitting through a 30 minute sitcom, much less a 2 hour movie without a bathroom break!

51. MIssy C says:

OK so I am a bit behind on blog reading – but of course I signed up for the newsletter. And I could go take pictures of Martha in her jackets and text them to you, lol!!
    I have not seen The Titanic nor have I lost any sleep over it!

52. Maria Miller says: