We (Really) Are The (Regular Season) Champions

So, I don’t know if y’all are aware of this or not, but there are these things called grocery stores, and you can walk inside them and select food with your very own hands. Then, after you buy the food, you can take it home and COOK ACTUAL MEALS.

It is a wonder, y’all.

And no kidding: today was the first time I have stepped foot in a grocery store in at least three weeks. I have pretty much worn out our Shipt membership just trying to keep my head above water in the midst of end-of-school stuff and family stuff and book stuff and I-really-need-to-watch-college-baseball stuff. But today I went to the store and bought all manner of produce and fruit and enjoyable breakfast options (we have company coming later this week), and then tonight, after I got A. off to lacrosse practice, I pan-seared some fish and roasted sweet potatoes (and some asparagus, too) and cooked a pot of yellow rice. David must have thought he’d gotten our house confused with someone else’s, because lately this has not been a place where much cooking happens. Tonight, though, was better. And I have everything I need to cook supper tomorrow night, too.

WE’RE ON A ROLL, PEOPLE!

Also: THIS HAPPENED.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 10.52.03 PM

Mississippi State won the SEC regular season championship in baseball!

As you can imagine, this development was the cause of some celebration at our house. And please know that when I say “some celebration,” what I am telling you is that I yelled so loudly that I frightened the dog.

It was so fun – something that hasn’t happened since I was in college, in fact. And since I’ve been able to watch most of the Bulldogs’ games this season (thanks, SEC Network!), I think it’s safe to say that I’m, um, significantly invested in the 2016 Diamond Dogs. So is Sister, for that matter. And we have had the best time texting and tweeting and watching and hollering (and, in Sister’s case, whistling) this season.

via GIPHY

This is a team with some bona fide, certified characters, y’all. And they are so much fun to watch.

Needless to say, we’ll be at the SEC Tournament this week with (cow)bells on.

(Don’t worry. I’m not taking my cowbell to a baseball game.)

(But I did sneak it in for the championship game four years ago. It was glorious.)

Other than all that excitement, we’re pretty much just gearing up for summertime fun around here. Alex is doing lacrosse again this summer, so I’m already looking forward to burning his cleats because they already smell like hot garbage and it’s not even July yet. This topic really deserves its own separate discussion, but it’s late and I just can’t round up the mental energy to problem-solve a cleats situation where the odor can only be described as “profound.”

I honestly didn’t know that specific smell existed until I smelled it. And now I can’t un-smell it. Which is a big part of the problem.

ALSO, Giddy Up, Eunice arrived at our house today in the form of a whole bunch of boxes. I guess Eunice’s giddy up got her to Alabama, at least, and we sure were excited to see her.

IMG_6185

The buy-one-get-one offer is over, but there are still all sorts of pre-order goodies up for grabs.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 11.28.49 PM

And y’all? Recording that podcast with Martha? It was one of the highlights of 2016 for me. No joke. JUST DELIGHTFUL. She was so funny and cute and thoughtful; I’m SO grateful that she was game for some podcasting. (And OF COURSE we talked about jackets; YOU SHOULD EXPECT NO LESS.)

All righty. I need to go to bed since tomorrow is CHOCK FULL. But I hope y’all had a great weekend, and I hope there are no stinky cleats in your house, and I hope the Bulldogs win their first game of the SEC tournament and I’m sorry if that’s a little selfish but I HAVE A LOT OF BASEBALL FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.

The end.

Comments

1. My husband did youth ministry for years. Once, when we were still fairly newly wed, he was having his senior high boys D-team over for pizza and video games. I was getting ready to leave when I noticed him walking around cracking all the windows open. In December. I asked why.

Husband: “Have you ever smelled the funk of a dozen teenage boys?”

I have now. (And loved loved loved their energy and exuberance. But the smell can be … pungent.)

2. Heidi Foster says:

Very exciting about Mississippi State baseball!! I can totally relate, our high school team won the Georgia AAAA State Championship last night. Locust Grove Wildcats!!! Big, big news in our little town! Go Wildcats!

3. Ann Clifton says:

My family and I were at Dudy Noble all weekend and we had so much fun! You’re right about the characters on the team-they are just as entertaining as the game. Go Dawgs!

4. Ranelle says:

For the nasty cleats, by all means burn them at the end of the season. But in the meantime, go to Amazon and search for Footmatters Odor Fighters. My daughter is a dancer and her dance bag like to have killed me when I made the mistake of opening it. These little things are miraculous.

• Kristen says:

Thank you for the tip! My daughter is a dancer and my son plays lacrosse so I definitely need some help in the foot odor department!

5. Brenda says:

My kid left his cleats in my car. On a hot summer day. With all the windows closed up.

I considered asking the dealership to take him as a trade-in, too.

6. Ashley says:

My husband and I made the trek to Starkville this past weekend from SC and were just THRILLED on Saturday night- the celebration inside the stadium was fantastic! HAIL STATE! I just wish we could take time off to get to Hoover! So much fun to watch!

7. Melissa says:

Giddy Up, Eunice is a wonderful book that I will read over and over. :-)

8. Denise Z. says:

Dr. Scholl’s Odor-X foot powder. It is a God-send. Sprinkle it (liberally!) in their cleats and make then put it on their feet before they out their socks and shoes on. It helps SO much!

9. OhmyGAHHHHH cleats. What in this ever-lovin WORLD?? My son played soccer and let me tell you… driving him home from games {or to games or back and forth to tournaments} was PAINFUL. And if we had to transport a teammate or two… GASMASKWORTHY. He would stuff newspapers in them to absorb the moisture {yes, i said it, pleaseforgiveme}and would reduce some of the stench, but there is only so much newspaper and disinfectant spray can do to neutralize a skunk in heat.
    Good luck with that.
    So GIDDY to see those books, and know you are too. I am absolutely loving it and can’t wait to spread the news. I am starting a cross-generational three-year-commitment intensive bible study in the fall and Eunice is giving me so much encouragement. I can’t stop talking about her {oh, and you too.}
    Cooking… it’s so rewarding to feed your family and roasted sweet potatoes are like candy in my belly. Get in there!

10. I sent my receipt twice by your BOGO link right after it went up and still waiting on the 48 hour response to send my mailing address for the free one. Just wondering if it was ever received???

11. Did I miss the Martha podcast post? Please point me in the right direction!!

12. I remember Dan Fogelberg saying that the fame of his song “The Leader of the Band” (written about his dad; a band director) was one of the highlights of his dad’s life. I hope that Martha is just as tickled about all of this. We have been tickled by stories about her for years and years.

PS: I received a message that I’d get the Martha Podcast (as we BIG FANS call it) link for buying two (more) books.

13. Sheila McGowan says:

I also have used rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and spray over and over. Ours were not terrible when I stumbled into this trick so I am not sure how it does after the smell is BAD…. but ours never got THAT terrible as normally had in the past.

Good luck!

14. Susan Skilton says:

Well I”m gonna have to say that NOT having access to the podcast w Melanie and the Q and A with your Martha is really my soccer cleats for today. I did the buy one, get one, but now I want more – who wouldn’t?! And the first chapter…..How can we make that happen :) ??? I listen to Boo Mama podcasts while walking and have been crying a river since your tour was cancelled as we had the Big Tickets…..
    thank you !!!
    big fan in Charlotte

15. Ok, every single team in America needs a Cole Gordon. He is just adorable. And those moves are something special. Every team also needs a Jake Mangum. And a Dakota. And a Gavin Collins. I could go on but that would be no fun. Everyone would be good.

I’m a tad bit jealous that you live in the Ham and can regularly attend the SEC tourney. I haven’t been back in quite a few years but I will get back. Oh and I have TWO friends that just moved to Omaha and close by. Happenstance? NOPE. I might be helping them move in a few weeks. I hope!!! hahahaha.

16. Stephanie Pickle says:

Me and my husband took our 6 year old daughter to her first MSU Baseball game Thursday night (oh how I wish we could have been there Saturday) and she loved it. But all she wanted the whole night was for her daddy to catch a foul ball. She just wanted a ball!!! We heard this ALL the way home (an hour away)!!!!!

17. Georgia says:

I am in Hoover for the tounament!! I would love a list of your favorite places to eat and shop in the Birmingham area…. If I’m not watching baseball 24/7.

18. I’d really like to have a copy of your new book but can’t afford to buy one. The title appeals to me especially since our daughter’s name is Eunice. Remember the apostle Paul’s Mother was named Eunice & his grandmother Lois? I’m Lois. :-) Enjoy reading your posts very much.

• I am working with Katy from the book launch team to get a book to you….she will likely ask for your address. Enjoy!

19. Lorraine says:

I pre-ordered my book long ago. How do I submit the receipt to get the podcast?

20. Lisa Bingham says:

How would the podcasts be delivered? It’s probably a dumb question, so sorry!
    I’m just not very tech savvy so I want to be sure I’d be able to figure it out before doing it.

21. Stacey says:

I must have the additional pod casts! I’ve just recently found y’all and am OBSESSED! I’ve never enjoyed being in my car more!

22. Marian Baldock says:

Hey Sophie,
    Try putting kitty litter in old socks and put them in the cleats. See if that helps. Also, I did the BOGO so will I be able to get the podcast with Martha? Can’t wait to read your book!

23. Thank you for your funny stories. I am tentatively joining the world of social media, a little leery of what I might find. I am so glad to discover similar minded folks sharing their God-centered lives and stories with the world. I too am trying to walk in reluctant obedience by opening up my life to the world. I’m freaked out! Please stop by and say hello.
    Rachel

24. Alison says:

Try putting the offending cleats in the freezer (you can put them in a ziploc if it grosses you out to have them next to the frozen peas) overnight. It kills the bacteria that is causing the funky smell. Then douse them with one of the powders the other commenters mentioned. Just don’t forget to take the shoes out like I did–my son had to wear some chilly Sperrys to high school ;)

25. HAIL STATE! We are transplanted Bulldawgs living in Texas, so we are super thankful for the SEC Network as well. Wish we could be there this weekend!

26. Ann in Maryland says:

Those goodies were irresistible, so I had to pre-order the book! Plus, I read your first two books, and really loved them. Keep up the good work, and have a beautiful holiday weekend!

27. Monique Rogier says:

Just wondering – if I pre-ordered 3 copies of “Eunice” (which arrived today!), when might the free one(s) arrive?
    Thanks!