The Big Boo Cast, Episode 62

There are times when Melanie and I record a podcast and everything seems right in the world. The skies are blue, life is easy, and cheerfulness comes oh-so-naturally.

This particular podcast is not necessarily one of those times.

But here’s the thing, I guess. After the last few weeks and everything that’s been going on in the world – not to mention with our close friends and family members – well, we were feeling a little punchy. And while yes, punchy can certainly be funny, we probably weren’t showing off the sunniest sides of our personalities the day we recorded episode 62.

But you know what? It ended up being an oddly therapeutic conversation (well, I mean, I can’t speak for Melanie, but it was therapy for me, at least). And we covered all sorts of topics: Tiny House Hunters, my great closet clean-out of 2016, the confusion over when a “dress” is actually a shirt, Melanie’s lack of interest in a process, my unfortunate experience with a handkerchief dress, plus so much more.

Finally, thank you so much for your emails, messages, comments, and prayers during Mama’s hospital stay and after she passed away. I said this yesterday on the podcast Facebook page, but the joy of the Lord really has been our strength. Please know that our family is so grateful for y’all.

You can click here to listen. Or here. You can even listen right here on the blog.

Or, as always, you can subscribe on iTunes if you’re feeling particularly fancy.

Just FYI – here’s where you can get more info on the products / places we mention (these aren’t affiliate links – just regular ole links):

acrylic T necklace holder

Blue Door Boutique

Tiny House Hunters

Melanie’s Pinterest

Sophie’s Pinterest

Somebody giving a hedgehog a bath

Creed

The Intern

Band of Brothers

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

Mrs. Kennedy & Me by Clint Hill

Murad Rapid Age Spot & Pigment Lightening System

Bad Day by Daniel Powter

Hope y’all enjoy it!

Comments

1. Ann in Maryland says:

Hey, Sophie! I left this comment on Melanie’s blog, and I just copied it so I could paste it here. I’ve got a couple of book suggestions you might like:

“You and Sophie mentioned on the last podcast that you wanted something fun and light to read, preferably set in NYC and involving the fashion industry. Well, I have that book!

It’s called “Knockoff,” and it’s by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza. Set in New York City, it involves a woman who is editor-in-chief of a fashion magazine and a new, younger editor has who just started there. Sort of like Devil Wears Prada, only this time, the older, more experienced woman is the one to root for, and the younger woman is the villainess! It’s got humor and plenty of enjoyable characters.

There’s another book I haven’t read yet, but I’m on the waiting list at the library for it: It’s called The Hopefuls (by Jennifer Close). It’s set in Washington, DC and involves two political candidates and their wives. (Appropriate for this presidential election year!) The couples become good friends — until one of the husband’s political star begins to rise — then envy kicks in and puts a strain on all their relationships. Sounds like an interesting story, and they say it’s got plenty of humor too!”

Thanks for another great podcast. The Bigboocasts are a happy place fore me!

2. Can I just say I adored this podcast????? When my grandfather passed my cousins and I definitely had our time of tears but we also laughed so hard at ridiculous things that the funeral director had to shush us. And my grandma told him to let us be because grandpa would have loved it. Everything just seemed so ridiculous! I remember being in the store and wanting to say to people “Are you kidding me right now? You are ridiculous…” I’d just had enough. You two are REFRESHING and I enjoyed you both so much this morning!

3. Well you had me at Tiny House Hunters. I need to know your thoughts.

4. Melanie says:

I save the podcasts for when I take walks in the hood. Today I forgot my headphones but still walked and listened. I found myself laughing out loud several times! Thanks for always brightening my day. And I am trying to get over the fact that Melanie must not really be a house person. House is my love language and I watch a good bit of HGTV. I agree that the banter of the couples in House Hunters is oh so very annoying!

5. Thank you for always sharing your friendship and humour with all of us! These podcasts bring joy to my heart!!

6. Friends from college went on Tiny House Hunters and the whole time my husband and I watched their episode, we couldn’t stop squirming. A shower and toilet combo, I wanted to run! Glad they are happy, but not for me!

7. Dixie Holloman says:

I loved today’s podcast, Ya’ll made me laugh out loud !!! I am sooo with you Sophie about Tiny House Hunters and the composting toilet is just too crazy. I say if you want to live in a Tiny House, buy an RV !!! Love y’all !!!

8. Jennifer says:

Did you know that there is now a Cake Hunters on the Cooking channel? Apparently for some people picking out a cake is high, high, high drama :) Funny thing is they follow the same formula for the other “Hunter’s” shows, husband and wife cant agree, which one do they pick, uh-oh phone call to the baker because we need something changed/fixed. I do enjoy watching though because it is pretty mindless.

9. I agree about the movies. I really think there would be a good audience for that. And I loved this podcast..curmudgeons and all.

10. Listen: my dad died May 26th. I needed to hear someone talk about how weird grief is. I needed to hear someone say that strange things happen to your brain and that’s okay. And, I needed to hear someone say that living in a Tiny House is just, well, not for everyone.

Thank you. I needed to laugh and when I heard Melanie do the “cat with a hair ball” when you said, “Compost toilet….,” well, I laughed. Hard. It felt good.

(And, bonus: Congrats on the podcast sponsorship! That’s awesome!)

11. Katie C. says:

My “favorite” part about the tiny house hunters show is when they see a house and exclaim about how small it is. HELLO! You want a tiny house! #morons And yet, I find myself oddly fascinated by it all the same AND I KEEP WATCHING! #thestruggleisreal #andtiny

Grief is so weird. It’s funny you brought up The Intern because Sean and I watched it last weekend, and I started BAWLING when Robert DiNiro shows up to his new job in the short-sleeved shirt and tie and takes all the stuff out of his briefcase, because it reminded me of my dad. We had to pause the movie for a good 15 minutes because once my husband saw me crying, he started crying. It’s been 5 years, for goodness sakes! We finally recovered when my husband pointed out that if my dad had been told he didn’t have to wear a suit to work, he would have showed up in shorts and knee socks instead of insisting on still wearing dress clothes.

If you’re looking for fluffy, light and happy, two books came to mind: Party Girl by Rachel Hollis (think Devil Wears Prada but nicer) and Heist Society by Ally Carter (YA with intrigue but not too heavy). Also, have you ever read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks by E. Lockhart or Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar? Both of those are YA but fit what I think you are looking for. I recommend the audio of Frankie because it was so well done, but this is a book I’ve revisited at least 2 times. And David Lubar writes funny stuff, plus he really captures the highs and lows of high school. Finally the English teacher in you would absolutely love The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt. One of my favorite books of all time!

I think you could have called this the #getoffmylawn podcast, and I loved it.

12. Natalie N. says:

This episode may have save my marriage! I was so enamored with the IDEA of the Tiny House, that I allowed my brain to glaze over some of the important details. Though my husband kept saying practical things like, “I don’t think your shoes will fit in a tiny house,” I was content to pine away over my some-day retirement fantasy equivalent of the Barbie Dreamhouse. But thanks to you, the words “composting toilet” fell on me with a fresh wave clarity, and I realized that I have requirements that a Tiny House may never be able to meet … such as modern plumbing. Needless to say, my husband is so relieved. :) So … thank you!

13. Melissa says:

This is just another example of Podcast Perfection, complete with awkward laughter and crazy topics that make us cringe – i.e. composting toilet, and saying you want to live in a space the size of some bathrooms. Thank you both for sharing your joy, your grief, yourselves. It’s just one of the things that make The BigBooCast my favorite way to spend time. Praying for both of you, and knowing God will draw you near – even while you’re praying silently to yourself!

14. Leianne McMillan says:

Ok… I am a sucker for the rom-com! Nancy Myers movies are my favorite. I can watch “It’s Complicated” and “Somthing’s Gotta Give”‘on a loop. I love y’all and can’t wait for the next podcast!

15. Lindsay Webb says:

I appreciated y’all’s honesty in this one… It drives me crazy to read a blog that is never honest about the hard stuff/days. I had just finished reading your new book when your Mama passed away and it seemed like someone I knew had gone. Praying for you in your grief and in the joy of memories that are so dear!

16. Tracy Miller says:

I’m listening to the podcast this afternoon and you girls crack me up. In regards to Tiny House Hunters – I love watching it but it just kills me when they walk in and they are like “oh this is way too small”. I’m like “hello” you are buying a tiny house!!! I am addicted to House Hunters though.

Keep having fun.

17. Kimberly Oliver says:

Great episode! I find the whole Tiny House fad ridiculous! Just ridiculous! There is as much store as 2 suitcases would afford you. You climb a narrow staircase to a loft where your mattress is laying on a wood floor? That sounds like camping and I hate camping! I too lost my mind the first time I saw an episode with a composting toilet! Is that even remotely sanitary? No, no it’s not. Stop the craziness!

Trackbacks