Well Hey You Cute Thing

Hi. It’s 412 degrees here. How are you?

We’ve been busy soaking up the home stretch of summer around here. Daddy spent the first part of last week with us, which was great. Now he’s home in Mississippi, and that means I’ve spent a considerable amount of time this week wondering if it’ll ever seem normal to me that he’s living by himself. We had some sweet talks while he was visiting, though, and he’s doing pretty well; so many of you have been so kind to email and check on him. And that reminds me: I am so behind on email that it’s laughable – I can’t seem to hold onto a train of thought long enough to make much forward progress – but I am hoping to be caught up soon.

That last sentence is pretty much the story of my life, by the way.

This week has been all about trying to finish the last of the summer to-do list. Alex started football practice on Monday, so in between that and having some work done around the house, we’ve gotten haircuts and bought school supplies and been to the doctor and basically just lived it up doing all manner of errands. I’ve been walking a lot (trying to get this broken foot back into shape) (also trying to find a productive way to dial down my anxiety level, which has been cranked up since Mama died), so that means I’ve also been sweating a lot because FOUR HUNDRED TWELVE DEGREES. However, all that sweating has a silver lining because let me show y’all a picture of the best thing that has happened to me all summer. It’s at the fitness place we go to (I do not know correct gym and fitness terminology, hence “fitness place”).

FullSizeRender 3

It’s a pellet ice machine. LORD BE PRAISED.

Needless to say, the daily access to the complimentary pellet ice has changed my whole life.

ANYWAY.

I know that it’s been more quiet than usual in this neck of the bloggy woods, but one thing I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt after Mama died was that I needed to give myself some space and some time. There is a lot about those last few days with Mama that I’m not ready to write about; I just want all of those sacred moments and conversations and prayers to sink way down deep in my heart so I can live with them a while before they become sentences (I hope that makes sense).

All that to say: we are okay. We are good, even. I have been using Mama’s Bible when I have my quiet time in the mornings, and that has been the sweetest gift and the most unexpected comfort. I’ve been reading through Paul David Tripp’s New Morning Mercies (it is EXCELLENT, by the way – one of the very best devotional books I’ve ever used), and the Scripture passage one day last week was Philippians 3. So when I opened Mama’s Bible and saw this –

FullSizeRender 2

– well, it pretty much made my day to see how she had underlined those words.

So. I’m gonna ease my way back into the blog (or, as I pronounce it, the blawg). There are some new books I want to tell you about, not to mention that I haven’t raved about NEEDTOBREATHE’s new album near enough.

Hope y’all have the best weekend. If you need me, I’ll just be refilling my cup with pellet ice.

:-)

(It really is the little things, isn’t it?)

Comments

1. My gym needs an ice machine like that. I wonder if they deliver?

2. Valerie S. says:

Sophie, your first book, A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet, brought me such comfort this week. I read several of your sweet and funny stories while I sat at my mother’s hospital bedside as she experienced her last days on earth. (Mercifully she left this world and walked into the arms of Jesus early this morning.) Knowing you recently lost your beloved mama gave me a connection to you in these difficult days. Thank you.

3. Thinking of you so often, my friend. Give yourself all the space you need.

(Also, I feel like if more gyms offered Sonic ice then this nation would get way healthier FAST.)

Love you.

4. rachael b says:

please take all the time you need. Grief is a journey and sometimes it doesn’t make sense. My heart hurts for you. love and prayers.

5. Katy Boatman says:

Love the picture you shared of your mom’s Bible! I have my grandmother’s Bible, and you’re correct–it is the sweetest and most precious gift to study words she’s already underlined.

6. I can’t even express how glad I am to hear new words from you. I’ve just recently (in the last few months) discovered your blog and pod casts and books and I don’t mind telling you that I adore you and your fun friend, One Ms Melanie Shankle. I love yalls sweet and hilarious spirits as well as your love for all things SEC football. My husband and I met at MSU and have successfully brainwashed our 3 young children. So naturally I feel we have a supernatural connection. Don’t you feel it? ;)

My heart has been with you during this rough summer. Thanks for being so honest about your grief process. It is inspiring. Sorry to gush. Must be time for bed.
    Welcome back!

7. Glad you’re back and doing well. I just finished reading”A Little Salty . . .” for the second time. It was my introduction to you about two years ago. I have since read and enjoyed all your books, read all the archives of your blog, listened to all the old podcasts, and read all of Melanie’s books and blog archives. I feel like the two of you are family. All that to say that all the knowledge of you made my second reading of the book so much better. And to be reading all the sweet and wonderful things about your Mama when she had just passed was such a great tribute to her. Grief is a journey. Evolving and never ending. I lost my Dad eight years ago. And just this morning I was thinking of him and teared up because I still miss him so much. We take comfort in knowing where they are and that we will see them again. Prayers are with you.

8. Amy Maher says:

Best ice ever! I may not have “quit” my fitness place if they had offered pellet ice. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Also, I am currently reading through the same devotional “New Morning Mercies.” Love it! Have a great day and don’t melt out there! โ˜€๏ธ

9. Christy says:

I have missed you!! I knew you needed time and I am so sorry about your mother! A friend and I were saying the other day if we had your phone number we would text you something encouraging and tell you we missed you…..and then I read this today and thought well…..I do have your number kind of๐Ÿ˜‰
    May the Lord bless you and keep you today and give you peace๐Ÿ’•

10. Rebecca says:

Well this just shows you’re “still in there” because I’m quite sure you’ve wondered that several times over that past weeks. Grief is so odd and no one person experiences it in the same way so whatever feels “normal” to you at the time, just go with it. Of course we all miss you like crazy and selfishly want you to write like you are on fire, but we understand. So take the love and time and just like Motel 6- we’ll leave the light on for ya! : )
    Hugs and Kisses and Prayers!

11. My sister built a new house this year. It is beautiful and I’m thrilled for her. The only thing I’m jealous of? She has a pellet ice maker IN HER KITCHEN!!! Can you even?

12. So happy to hear you are doing well. This summer has just been the hottest and I need one of those ice machines at my house. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t even want ice if it isn’t pellet ice.

I will be continuing my prayers for you and your sweet family.

13. Jennifer S says:

Welcome back, you’ve been missed <3

14. Deb Young says:

You have been missed and thought of often:) Hugs to you!

15. Sophie – it is so hard to lose your Mama. It’s really special that you have her Bible. The scripture you shared today really spoke to me – faith, more faith has been on my mind (and heart) lately.
    And by the way, pellet ice is the best!

16. Well, good grief. Your words made me weep this morning. I have been thinking of you and praying for you, because I recently read Giddy Up, Eunice. When I got to the chapter about your mom, I just could NOT stop thinking of what you must be going through. I don’t know about you, but I am thankful for the prayers of the righteous (James 5:16). It’s good to read your words again…you do have a way with them. And, OH THE PELLET ICE. It’s my favorite too. I had a year when I was EXTREMELY iron deficient and thought I was going to either die or experience my teeth fall out because of all the ice I ate. It’s so wonderful. Blessings to y’all as you enjoy the last moments of blissful summer.

17. Ann Butts says:

Bless your heart, Sophie! I’m so sorry for the loss of your sweet Mama. You are in my thoughts and prayers for strength and peace. Grief is a long,long painful, emotional road. Our awesome God will carry you through it! Please tell your Daddy that I’m praying for him also! Love you, girl!

18. Just to reiterate what everybody else has said: I’ve been thinking and praying for you. I have missed hearing from you, but please take all the time you need. We’ll be here when you’re ready to talk and share.

19. I used my mom’s Bible for a year after she died. I remember waking up in the mornings to go to school, and seeing her sitting on her bed with her Bible and a pad of paper. That pad of paper was her prayer list, and I knew that my name and my future spouse’s name was on that list. Such sweet memories. I also remember after her death going about my day, then going to call her to share something with her. It was so hard when I remembered that she was no longer on this earth and didn’t have her to share things with anymore. Give yourself all the time you need. Grief will wash over you at the strangest times and in the strangest places.

20. Sonia Livingston says:

I’ve missed you on the blog but totally agree that you need time and space to work through the loss…it’s so very hard to lose a parent. How precious that you have your mama’s Bible, I’ve been using iPad Bible for a while now but this makes me see how important those paper pages are. Hugs to you!

21. My own dear Mama joined yours in heaven last week. I am going through so much of what you have shared. Our church family has made such a difference in our days, and we thank the Lord for them.

Praying His comfort for you all.

22. It really IS the little things. So happy for you and your tender mercy of pellet ice! (Also, yes, on walking. You know those memes that say, “We all do what we have to do to stay out of prison,” usually in reference to coffee? That’s walking. Highly effective therapy.)

23. Strangely, weirdly, and a little bit stalker-y, I was wondering this morning if it would be off the charts odd if I sent you a Tweet or Facebook message to tell you that I missed you. Okay, yeah, reading that back again, it would have been weird and strange and stalker-y.

But the fact remains it’s been a tough summer and I’ve missed your sparkling, sardonic humor and take on world events. (Don’t get me started, Election ’16, I’m looking at you.)

But if this break is what you needed to right the ship, then I’m glad you could take it. God’s timing is always good and perfect; when you’re ready to get back to the stuff, He’ll tell you.

So, welcome back and thanks for your candid and funny and lovely post.

24. Kelly Davis says:

Have been thinking of you. How precious to have your Momma’s Bible- that sums up the very best a Mother could offer her children, witness to her love of Jesus. Glad you are back, glad you are finding peace.

25. Melissa says:

Sweet mercy, WHERE IS THIS GYM!?!? It should be a rule that all gyms have pellet ice.

I have been reading your blog and Big Mama for years and only recently started listening to the podcast. It is a treat. I have laughed until I cried. The best part is that now when I read your blogs, I hear them in your own voices (the same with Annie Downs) and I adore it.

I worry about my daddy living by himself too, I think it just comes with the territory. I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a hug. Losing your mama is just plain hard, and there is no preparing for ALL THE FEELINGS.

26. It’s good to hear from you. I’m glad that you and your dad are doing well. Now, that ice pellet machine? That’s my kind of gadget. I’m an iceaholic from way back.

27. Melissa says:

You are right, it’s the little things in life that mean so much to us. I have been thinking about you all. Love and hugs.

28. Sophie I miss you to pieces! Been checking your blog for an update and my prayer was answered. I selfishly needed to know how you are coping with the loss of your Mother. Keeping you in prayer AND hope you can keep walking some of that anxiety out of your system. Our local Mall opens early before the stores for “walkers”. It is air conditioned and you can window shop too…but sadly no ice pellets! Be well!!!

29. morning devotions with your mother’s Bible – the thought of it brought tears to my eyes for you. Of everything my Daddy (now 91) is going to leave behind in this world someday, that’s the one thing I’ve asked for. I know you’ll see her heart on page after page. xoxoxo

30. Well I am all teary now thinking about how sweet it is that those words your mama underlined have now become her reality. She knows her Savior face to face! What a beautiful and sweet legacy!

31. I think after the spring/summer you have had the book, your foot, and your mama. You deserve one of them ice pellet machines…. Have David install one in the garage for ya. Just saying it is well deserved.

32. Missed you, Boomama! I’ve thought of you so often this summer. Many blessings to you and your family!

33. Bless your heart! And I mean that in its’ most sincere form. I knew something had happened but didn’t know what.

Grief is for the living so take all the time you need. It’s not something that really ever ends – you just move into different phases.

And amen on the ice. I have a Zaxby’s close to my office and they will give you free ice if you ask for it. No exercise involved though. I go through the drive-thru!

34. Thank you for the update. I think of you often and have you in my prayers. Sister and I are still dealing with our sick Mother. It’s so hard. And knowing life will never be the same again… is sometimes debilitating if I focus on it. It helps to know I’m not alone.
    Just adore you. Take all the time you need!

35. Pellet ice=gift from God, comfort food, perfection in ice.

Also, I feel you on the anxiety & not being able to hold onto a train of thought. I consider it a part of the back-to-school blues I always get this time of year. I always mourn my children going back to school fiercely. Prayer & outdoor exercise seem to be the best medicine for me.

Trackbacks