We found out earlier tonight that we have a snow day tomorrow. I for one am delighted that we’ll have a long weekend; this first week back at school has been fun, but WHOA, NELLIE it has been rough getting used to the early morning alarm again. And then of course there’s the reality that a winter storm advisory in Alabama means that we could be iced in or we could get a couple of inches of snow or we might just get a light smattering of rain. Regardless, I’m grateful that we’ll all be home and won’t run the risk of being stuck somewhere else during another Snowpocalypse. I’m fine with Ye Olde Winter Gridlock being a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That was plenty.
Anyhoodle. Here are a few things I wanted to mention before I forget.
1. Slow Cooker Creamed Corn – Over Christmas my sister-in-law Janie told me about a delicious creamed corn recipe that you make in the crockpot. I decided to make it for New Year’s, and OH. MY. GOODNESS. It is delicious. I’m not even sure that the crockpot is necessary, but it was nice to not have to worry about burning anything. Next time I’ll probably just do three cans of corn because five cans of corn is a LOT for a family of three, but the leftovers were great.
2. Earlier today Viola Davis received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Meryl Streep spoke at the ceremony, and her beautiful, honoring words made me teary-eyed. Her speech starts a little after 8 minutes.
3. Our high school is doing an “Unplugged” challenge for the month of January. We’re not mandating anything or telling people to abandon their phones; we’re just asking our faculty and students to pray and consider if they might want to unplug / untether from their phones a little bit over the next few weeks. That might mean temporarily disabling the browser, deleting social media apps for a period of time, or being intentional about phone-free face-to-face time and conversation with friends (as opposed to, you know, Facetime). Anyway, I’m sending the kids (and their parents) little devotionals every week, and I thought I’d share this week’s devotional here. If you have teenagers, you know what a challenge it can be to figure out the best way to teach and shepherd in this particular area, so the questions at the end might be a good springboard for family discussion.
4. Over Christmas break I started watching Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. Fascinating. I’ve never known much about scientology, so it’s been really eye-opening (and heartbreaking, honestly) to hear what some people have expeirenced. It’s not a show for kids – the language is pretty strong at times – but it’s compelling television for sure.
5. Does anybody have an Instant Pot? I keep looking at them on Amazon and thinking, Would I really use this? Is it worth it? Is it a hassle to clean? Does it make suppertime easier? So if you have experience or insight, I’d love to know.
Happy Weekend, y’all!