Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

Listen. It has been a minute.

How are y’all?

I’ve had an unusually busy January / February / March in terms of speaking and travel, so when I’ve been at home, I’ve tried to really be at home. That’s meant lots of cooking and carpooling and catching up with my people, and it’s been so good. At the beginning of February I realized that I’ve been in “book mode” pretty much non-stop for five years – whether that’s been thinking about books, working on books, writing books, editing books, mapping out ideas for books, you name it – and after I finished the edits on my next book (more later about that one – it comes out in August), I sort of hit the wall in terms of words. Writing books is one of my favorite things I’ve ever done, but five years of pretty constant writing = nothing much left to say. No more words. Nothing. Zilch. No más.

So, you know, I’ve been sort of quiet.

Life has still been lively, though. Alex is in the middle of lacrosse season, not to mention that a couple of weeks ago we celebrated his 14th birthday. It’s crazy to think about, but he was two when I started this blog. TWO. For some reason this 14th birthday was a ginormous reminder that we don’t have that many more years with him at home, and I may have had to tell myself to GRAB HOLD OF THE EMOTIONAL REINS, GLADYS a time or six during his birthday week. I feel like I’ve said it over and over, but this phase of parenting is hands-down, 100% my favorite. It’s probably too much to explain in a blog post, but this year (7th grade) Alex moved to the campus where I work, and OH, THE JOYS AND DELIGHTS of being in the same place all day. I get to see his friends, I get to see him, I get to eat lunch / spend time with the girls in his grade, and basically it has been all manner of wonderful. I am doing my best to soak it up and savor what sometimes seems mundane but is really oh-so-special.

This week is our Spring Break, and last night we got home from a trip to Orlando. We love us some Universal Studios, and this time we made the trip with two families from our small group. Before the trip I think we all considered the fact that even though we’ve spent a lot of time together, we had never traveled together – much less navigated four days’ worth of roller coasters together. But oh my goodness. It turned out even better than we could have imagined. We had an absolute blast. The kids are all close friends, so they had a big time (repeated rides on loopy roller coasters will solidify some bonds), but I think my enduring memory of the trip will be how much we all laughed. Tuesday night we had dinner at the hotel pool – couples at one end of the table, kids at the other – and as everybody was recapping different parts of our day, there was a point where I got so tickled that I couldn’t sit up straight. It was that kind of laughter where you can’t get sound to come out despite the fact that you are WEEPING OPENLY, and it was perfect – the best kind of chorus to our Spring Break song.

Hark! Some photos!

We watched the Mississippi State / Baylor women’s Elite 8 game while we ate dinner at the pool Sunday night. I tried not to yell. Or maybe I should say I tried not to yell too much. And I 100% cried when we won because FINAL FOUR!

The Jimmy Fallon ride is awesome, by the way. So fun that I literally bought a t-shirt. Also, I totally downloaded this picture from my friend Stephanie’s Facebook page, so a thousand pardons for that.

Two strangers and three teenagers on the log ride. There was some serious soakage.

We actually drove to and from Universal this time, and I have to say: NOT BAD AT ALL. In the past we’ve flown because there’s a direct Southwest flight from Birmingham to Orlando, and it’s been tough to beat in terms of travel time. But the flight schedule was all wonky this time around – not to mention that plane tickets were a small fortune – so we drove. I was surprised by how much I loved the road trip. We drove about six hours after school on Friday – down to Lake City – then finished the drive on Saturday morning. We did the full 8 1/2 hours coming home yesterday, and I thought it flew by (podcasts don’t hurt when it comes to filling up the time). We even made it back in time to pick up Hazel from the vet, and she was so happy to see us that she lifted her head toward the sky and barked / sang when we were driving from the vet to the house. David said she was offering her thanks and praise to the Lord for our return. I think he may have been right about that.

Today (Thursday) we have mostly stayed close to home, and tomorrow we’ll run a few errands (HELLO, GROCERY STORE) before we settle in for the Final Four semi-final games tomorrow night.

I imagine we will have some dips.

Fingers crossed that there will also be a Bulldog victory.

Happy Weekend, y’all.

Comments

1. Allyson says:

Glad you had a great time but if I had known you were stopping in Lake City I would have brought my books for you to sign!!! You have a big following here!

2. Sallie Baker says:

Thought of you the whole time I was watching my Baylor girls lose….😔 But no one deserved it more than those Miss state girls!! Wow! Tremendous team!!
    Enjoyed your post!! Ready for the new book!

3. I am so delighted to read a blogpost. It makes me so happy to see you enjoying and appreciating life so much. You are so wise to savor your time with Alex.
    I cannot wait to hear about your book!

4. Jennifer S says:

Welcome back! :):):)

5. Nice to see you had a fun Spring Break. And all I can say is HAILSTATE BABY! I am currently wearing the SAME outfit I wore last Friday, hoping it brings us some good luck tonight. I will say, (sorry to Sallie above) but it was NICE to see Kim Mulkey in the stands last night watching her kid play baseball and not in Dallas. hehehe #Hailstate

6. When my p/c told me you had a new blog today, I clapped my inner hands with inner glee! I’ve missed you! But I’m also totally getting the reasons you’ve been away. Can’t wait for the new book! I’m not the target demo, but I don’t care!

7. Loved your post! You always make me laugh.

8. You always bless me and make me laugh. Thank You !!!

9. Missey Marsh says:

So glad you are back! Go Bull dogs!! Hoping for an all SEC final!

10. Soooo glad to see your post! I’ve got your blog bookmarked, and this morning I came within an inch of just not clicking on it, thinking you probably wouldn’t have a new post. But I can’t quit you, Sophie, and I clicked on it. Lo and behold, a new post! I just love “hearing” from you!

11. So great to hear from you. You have always been one of my all time favorites. I remember emailing you years ago saying you should write a book..LOL. You even wrote back. I just ordered your first book from Amazon Smile and cannot wait to read it!! Blessings and thanks so much for the laughs.

12. Aww, sounds like the perfect vacation. It can be tricky taking a trip with other families but when it works it is the best!

13. a post from you always makes me so happy! so fun to hear that you guys have been having all sorts of good times together. a friend from college was in orlando with her mom to preview the jimmy fallon ride. sounds like so much fun! and love the image of hazel on the ride home.

14. It sure is good to “see” you back here. Happy Spring!

15. So glad to get an update…your wit and storytelling keeps me coming back. Can’t wait for the new book…so glad to see YOUR GIRLS WON. Coach Schaefer’s and Geno’s speeches were both priceless…why sports builds character with great coaches!

16. Not even FINAL FOUR anymore FINALS!!! Of course I can only imagine you were losing your mind watching :)

17. Thought of you as we watched the game last night! I imagine there was a bit of cheering in your world. :)

18. Melanie says:

Congrats on the Bulldog win!!

19. Melissa says:

So glad to hear from you and the Lady Bulldogs! Spectacular. I bet you did a lot of pacing!

20. How exciting was the finish to that game on Friday night? So excited for those Lady Bulldogs – what a thrill for them! Hope they go all the way!

21. Rachael B says:

oh, I’ve missed you so much! Glad you had some R&R!!! Can’t wait for the new book!!!

22. Jean ann says:

So glad to read your posts. I love your books. But the everyday take on everyday life of your blog is so – dare I say? – uplifting! You got the good words Sophie.

23. Stephanie Pickle says:

So glad to see your post, I check often just to see if you have anything new. Can not wait to here about the new book. Well we did not win the final game, but that is alright so PROUD of those girls!!! Wearing my maroon to day just to show I am proud of them. PRAISE GOD AND GO DAWGS!!!!!

24. Oh fun! That doesn’t sound like a bad drive at all, especially splitting it up! glad you had fun!