Assorted & Various Interests & Obsessions

True story: I’ve decided that quiet just might be my favorite antidote to grief / processing / working through stuff. However, I still think about blogging all the time, even if I don’t actually follow through with it. So, in the interest of leaving no inconsequential stone unturned, I thought I’d make a quick list of various interests / obsessions / delights that have provided some happiness and dare I say wonder during this quiet-y phase (and, to be clear, that continue to be rays of light and sunshine).

I’d hate if we weren’t caught up on these things, you understand.

All righty. In no particular order.

– I am a certified, bonafide convert to Walmart’s grocery pick-up service, which is basically genius and life-changing (still getting my meat from Fresh Market, though…can’t beat their $2.99 Tuesdays). It’s a free service ($35 minimum order, though) and there is zero mark-up on grocery items. You just make an appointment, select all your groceries online or on the app, then show up at your scheduled time for pick-up. Basically all you do at pick-up is pop open your trunk, and a very kind Walmart team member will load your groceries in your car. THIS IS ALL I HAVE EVER WANTED IN LIFE.

– Mississippi State baseball – This is no different than any spring, really. Weekend before last Brent Rooker hit three home runs in one game and I talked about it for two days. As you do.

– And speaking of Mississippi State…

…our women’s basketball team’s defeat of UConn and the national championship game against South Carolina? BE STILL, MY BULLDOG HEART. So proud. I’ll never get over it.

Brooks Ghost 9 running shoes

To be clear, I do not run.

But I’ve been walking a lot. And these shoes are the best I’ve ever had. They’ve been in heavy rotation for almost a year, so it’s time to replace them – and do you know what I ordered? Some more Brooks Ghost 9s. Identical to my old ones. They’re fantastic. I’ve always had trouble with running shoes making my feet feel really confined, so with these Brooks I finally ordered a wide width, and LO, THE HEAVENS OPENED AND BLESSINGS POURED FORTH. What I love about these particular Brooks is that they’re really supportive – my feet NEVER hurt – but they’re also bouncy. I like some spring in my step.

– I’ve been catching up on all sorts of podcasts. One of my most recent favorites is Up and Vanished, which (after listening to about six episodes in a row) left me so scared in my Hopkinsville, Kentucky hotel room that I thought about sleeping with the lights on. I was seconds away from stepping around a corner in a full-on Charlie’s Angels circa-2000 pose.

Also, if you enjoy pop culture and you’re not listening to The Popcast with Knox & Jamie, you should be. For starters, try Episode 188; it is so stinkin’ clever.

– On my last birthday David gave me a Fitbit Charge 2, and at first I was like, OH LOOK, A WATCH. I mean, I’d wanted a Fitbit, but after I got one I didn’t really know what to do with it. However, it seemed to tell time beautifully. Now, though, it has basically become my personal, grown-up version of a pre-schooler’s star chart (I LIVE for the confetti pop when my active minutes reach a certain level). I like for it to beep at me and remind me to get up from my desk and then celebrate with me when I reach 10,000 steps.

How sad is this, by the way?

A post shared by Sophie Hudson (@boomama205) on

It was last week. If I’d only checked my steps before I got in the bed, I could have avoided this particular brand of heartbreak.

– Coffee – Basically I’ve never loved it more. Basically I crave it all the time. Basically I want to drink some right now even though it’s 9 o’clock at night and I try not to drink anything with caffeine after 3-ish. And yes, I know there’s decaf, but I’m not a fan. Mainly because I miss that thing you call flavor. (If there’s a decaf K-cup you really love, please let me know!)

LuLaRoe Irma tops – They are LIKE BUTTER, I tell you. I also love that they’re longer in the back than in the front, and, as my mama would say, they launder beautifully (I wash mine in cold and then hang to dry). Highly recommend.

Sakura Pigma Graphic 1 pen – Y’all know that I love a good pen. The Pentel Sign Pen is still my all-time favorite, but there’s a new 2nd place contender. If you like a good felt-tip pen, I think you’ll be a fan. STRONG WORDS, I know.

Hope y’all are having a great week so far!

Comments

1. Sophie you must listen to the S-town podcast.

2. It’s so good to hear from you! I’m a new fan :) Just love your books! Praying for you & your family.

3. Oh the women’s basketball team. Honestly those girls have made what is usually a hard time of year for me so joyous. How will I miss those seniors? I feel like I know them all. Vic should teach a seminar in marketing, no joke. Those kids are selling MSU.

4. Momtrish says:

Gevalia decaf cups are good to us.

5. I still love to read your blog posts! :-)

6. Sallie Baker says:

Me, too! Miss you when you aren’t here!

7. Love hearing from you. Paul Newmans Organic Decaf pods are pretty good and I’m a coffee snob.

8. I am so glad you wrote a blogpost. I miss you when you don’t. I have been going back and listening to the archives on the Big Boo podcast. I am still kicking myself that you were a stone’s throw away from me in Kentucky and I didn’t see you because I didn’t know until the day of the event. Grrrr….

9. JennyJoT says:

Oh, Sophie, I’ve missed you. I lost my own dear mama in January, so I GET it, but I’ve still missed you. Love the “star-chart” analogy, and YES – that 9999 is heartbreaking. Blessings to you and yours on this good day.

10. LOVE THIS ALL SO MUCH. Walmart grocery is saving my life right now. And LLR has pretty much taken over my wardrobe. I wear the Amelia dress or an Irma top with slacks for work, and love the perfect tee, but gotta be careful with those side vents on windy days. There’s a 100% chance that nobody wants to see my stomach.

11. That video. One of my ALL time favorites. We have some kick butt video people at MSU. Plus, their subject matter is pretty impressive! I still can’t believe what a magical season! Now, let’s hope baseball keeps on! Maybe we’ll make a trek over the Hoover Met this year!

12. Susan Dickson says:

I love your blog too. And I am listening to Up and Vanished now too. It is so good.

13. it’s always a delight to hear from you, sophie. and i’m always a sucker for a good list. love to you from minnesota!

14. Good to hear from you! I too, LOVE the Irma. :) It’s perfection in a top. And your 9,999 steps made me LOL – I totally get that feeling. Have a great week!

15. Rachael B says:

so glad to ‘hear’ from you! Missed you so much. I don’t have instagram so I feel like I miss out on a lot. I do check in with you on the Twitter though!!

16. Walmart grocery pickup – Seriously Life Changing! I haven’t set foot in a Walmart in a month! I even have something that I bought for my daughter that needs to be returned, and I’ve pretty much convinced myself that I should just hold onto it – she will grow into in a couple years, it will work out. And it was only $9. My frustration-free life is worth WAY more than $9!
    So glad to see the blog post! Also Life Changing! :)

17. Yolanda McLean says:

I was a little too excited when I saw that you blogged! I want share with you that I was at a women’s ministry event at my friends church, she was giving her testimony and invited me. One of the giveaways was Giddy Up, Eunice. The pastor’s wife shared with the group that everyone needs to read that book, she mentioned that it had been life changing for her. She said that she still references it from time to time.

18. I lost my husband after a seven year battle against cancer. It took a year of quiet until I really felt (mostly) healed. I get the quiet, and I get the finding joy during the healing. :)

19. You pretty much just read my mind. Brooks Ghost 9, Walmart grocery pick-up, Fitbit, Irma… You are my spirit animal.
    And the text alerts on Fitbit are ❤️❤️❤️.

20. Jenny Goldsby says:

I heart you Boo Mama! Thank you for popping in and saying hi and sharing your tips, tricks and words of wisdom. I am unwilling to share what came out of my mouth when I saw your fit bit steps for that day…I should be ashamed. Much love and prayers to you and yours. We will be here ready to laugh and pray with/for you.

21. Amen to the Fitbit and being like a pre-school star chart!!! It works!!
    I live less than 30 min from Ocilla, GA and the case of Tara Grinstead is so haunting and sad.
    Lord willing, it will be solved correctly and completely soon.😔
    Very appreciative for Up and Vanished and the attention it has put on her case. In my mind it was a cold case until Up and Vanished.

22. Robin Doss says:

What in all the land brought you to Hopkinsville, KY?? That’s where I live!!

23. Sophie I got so excited to see your blog! I am sure you need this quiet but please know you are missed and loved. You bless so many people. We will be right here whenever you feel like popping in. ❤

24. I second the gevalia decaf k-cups, It’s what I use after 3 pm.

25. How wonderful to hear from you! I work in an speciality running store and I’m glad you like the Brooks Ghost. It’s an awesome shoe! We hear from so many people that they feel Brooks are tight so they size up to a wide, so you did good there! Here’s something to know about the shoe as well. They release a new model every year in June so Brooks and most retailers will put the old model on sale to clear it out. We have customers who keep track of their shoe release date and come in and buy their next pair when they go on sale. When a new model is released, it’s usually minor changes so don’t worry that your favorite shoe changing too much. You now know more about a running shoe than you ever wanted to!

26. Melissa Marsh says:

I LOVE the popcast! Amazing. Have you binged watched suits yet. If not I highly recommend it!! Delightful!! Also ARC stories is a great pod cast as well.

27. Kristin B says:

I am obsessed with the Up and Vanished podcast right now. I live nearby and can’t get enough information about this strange case. The local reporter in Ocilla (Dusty Vassey – he is sometimes a guest on the podcast) has an awesome blog with several great posts about the case. Oh and I also am in love with Lularoe!

28. Kristin B says:
  29. Melissa says:

So good to “hear” from you. I miss your words, but completely understand the need for quiet and processing and privacy. Praying for you.

30. Sooo glad to see you back writing, and thankful God is putting things in your life to make you smile. :) We have a LOT of the same taste.

I live about 30 minutes away from Ocilla and have been listening to Up and Vanished and just local talk. It is super interesting that there has been an arrest and indictment, but not much known about the actual crime. Dusty Vassey’s blog is a must read. Overall, it’s just super sad that her life ended the way it did.

31. Jeannette says:

So glad you posted a blog. I miss hearing from you.

Still praying as you traverse through the first year of life after the passing of your mother. That first year will either make you are break you.

I, too, have shared your Giddy Up, Eunice with our Preschool minister. She loved it so much she purchased her own copy so she could mark it up.

32. LOVE THE IRMA Wearing one today!

33. Renee Pfannkuch says:

For those of us without Twitter or Instagram a blog post from you is pure joy and delight!!

34. Oh how I wish I had known you were in Hoptown! My husband was stationed at Ft. Campbell for 5 years and it became “home” to us. So many dear friends are still there!

35. God bless you, dear Sophie. Your readers love you.

36. Shannon says:

Oh, please share the link to the Pentel Sign Pen! I’m always in search for good options. I’m usually a felt-tip girl, but I’m currently enjoying the Uni-Ball Vision Elite.