Sometimes Shame Is An Excellent Motivator

Well, Alex just walked in my office and saw me on the computer and said, “Mama, you haven’t written a real blog post since April.” So then I said, “DON’T YOU SASS ME, ALEX HUDSON” except that 1) I really didn’t say that at all and 2) he’s exactly right. The end of spring has swept us up in a cloud of schoolwork and lacrosse playing and gym going and baseball watching and family time and speaking stuff, and we are so happy – DELIGHTED, I SAY UNTO YOU – that we are only two days away from being able to turn that 5:30AM alarm to the “off” position. It is totally understandable if you’d like to say “amen” at this juncture.

I was actually planning to be at the SEC Baseball Tournament tonight – my Mississippi State Bulldogs are scheduled to play the Georgia Bulldogs in the last game of the first round – but there was a big rain delay this afternoon, which means that the games are running behind. Since I have to be at work early tomorrow morning, I can’t swing the later-than-normal late game even though I like to think that I’m 27 and sleep is optional. Because the reality is that sleep is critical. Essential. BLESSED PRECIOUS, if you will.

(HOLD ON. AN UPDATE. It looks like our game has been moved to tomorrow morning at 9:30, which means that a certain 7th grader and I will be making a beeline for the Hoover Met as soon as his exam is over, oh hallelujah.)

(I can only assume that these college baseball tournament plans are SUPER interesting to read about, by the way.)

(Now I will transition.)

So. Here’s a little bit of what’s been going on.

1. A couple of weeks ago my mama’s sister, Choxie, passed away. I’ve said this to family and friends over and over, but it really never occurred to me that there would come a time when we’d be without Mama and Chox. Maybe one. Maybe the other. But not both. Chox was actually in the hospital when Mama died, and the first place Sister and I went when we left ICU for the last time was up the elevator to Chox’s hospital room. It never occurred to us to go anywhere else. Over the course of my life I feel I’ve probably said the phrase “Mama and Chox” more than just about any other, and that’s because from the time I was born, Mama and Chox were a unit. We all lived within a few miles of each other, we spent what I now recognize as an inordinate amount of time together (here’s something I didn’t appreciate when I was growing up: living so close to most of Mama’s extended family), and we cultivated our love for “visiting” from sitting around Mama’s and Chox’s breakfast room tables. When I think about the fact that we’ve lost both of them in the last year, all I can do is shake my head. It would feel like too much if we didn’t know that they’re together again. Whole and free.

2. Y’all. This sermon. We had a guest pastor at our church a month or so ago, and LET ME TELL YOU WHAT. I try to stay out of the sermon-ranking business, but this one was one of the top five I have ever heard. Enormously encouraging, packed with Truth, and beautifully taught.

Victory in the Valley

3. Alex and I are leaving next week for a trip with Compassion. If you’ve been reading here for a while, you may remember that I’ve traveled with Compassion to Uganda and Ecuador, and when I initially decided to go on next week’s trip, I sort of assumed I’d be going by myself. Around the end of January, though, David and I started talking about the possibility of Alex going with me, and now that the trip is almost here, we are so excited. I will be blogging A WHOLE LOT while we’re gone, and my hope is that Alex will blog a little bit, too. It will be his first trip out of the country, and it will definitely be our longest trip together. Stay tuned.

4. I haven’t had a whole lot of time for TV lately, but there is one show I’ve been making a point to watch. A couple of months ago my friend Kasey told me about a show on Netflix called Great Designs. I assumed that it was standard HGTV-ish before & after fare (which I happen to like). I have to say, though, that this show is so much more; there’s a narrative that runs through every episode, and that narrative usually makes me teary-eyed at some point. The before & after part is inspiring, for sure, but the stories are what make each episode special. Highly recommend.

5. All righty. Now it’s bedtime, and if I don’t publish this post before I go to bed, it’ll still be sitting in my drafts folder in 2024. So I wouldn’t say that I’m finished, but I guess I’m stopping. To be continued. And, by all means, Go ‘Dogs.

Comments

1. Kristin E says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Sophie. Thank you for sharing Mama and Chox with us.
    ❤️

2. Heather says:

Prayers of comfort for you and your family. It is wonderful to know they are together with Jesus and that one day, you will be reunited with them.

I’m so excited for Alex to go on this trip. It will be life changing for him. I think all American youth should go on a missions trip to a third world country. It is eye-opening. Praying for safety, health and miracles.

3. So sorry to hear about Chox. Thank you for letting us all feel like we personally knew them both. Prayers of comfort for you and the family.

4. Sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.

Didn’t you mean ‘GO Dawgs’? Haha!

5. So sorry for your loss! There are definitely many people that come to mind that I don’t want to have to imagine living life without. Prayers for you and your family.

6. Leslie Sanders says:

I’m so sorry that you’ve lost so much this past year. Knowing our loved ones are in heaven is truly a comfort, but we miss them don’t we? Praying for all of you – and I’m excited for your trip! I’m looking forward to hearing all about it.

7. Blessing to you and your family. But you have been missed Sophie Hudson! Please just drop us all a line periodically! Happy last week of school!

8. Sophie, I’m so sorry to hear about Choxie! My goodness, it’s so hard, isn’t it? To know she and your Mama are together in the presence of Jesus is a comfort. I hope you and Alex have a wonderful trip. I look forward to reading about it. By the way, I bought Giddy Up, Eunice a while back but just read it – an excellent book!

9. Thank you so much for posting that sermon! It came at a time when I really needed to hear those words.

10. Kathleen Morris says:

Oh Sophie, I’m so sorry that you’ve lost both of the most important women in your life within a year. I love what you said about them being together again, what a comfort. I’ll be lifting you up as you adjust to your new normal. Being grown up is certainly not all it’s cracked up to be!

11. Melissa says:

So terribly sorry for the loss of another dear soul of your family. Thankfully you do know they are together again. My prayers are with your family as you move forward, and treasuring your sweet memories.
    Can’t wait to listen to #75 podcast with my daughter. We love you and Melanie!

12. Kristen says:

I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss. As the others have stated we all feel like we know you r family because of your loving tributes to each of them! Praying for a peace and comfort only the Holy Spirit can bring to you and your family!

13. So sorry for your loss. Praying for peace and comfort for you and your family.

14. LuAnn Fischer says:

Sophie – I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Even though I never met them, I have loved hearing about your family. Loss is just plain hard. Yes you know you’ll loose them, but I don’t know how you EVER get prepared for it. Our family has had some serious losses in the last year too. Just so dad gum hard…… On a happier note, I love that you & ALEX are taking a trip together. I look forward to reading EVERY blog post. Thanks for squeezing in a pod cast too. You and Melanie are dear to me! :) &I am looking forward to the devotionals coming out.

15. Janice says:

The loss is hard, and the joy that they are together again must be bittersweet.

I am a teacher, and I second your amen! 😄

16. Dee Dee says:

Thank you , Sophie, for sharing that sermon. I’ve been in a valley (diagnosis) for 20 years. Sometimes I get very weary and the Lord always sends His Word to strengthen me.
    My mom and her sister experienced the same thing in their home going . They went to Heaven within 6 months of each other, I believe because if that strong bond of love . They spoke every day for most of their lives.
    Thanks for the blog! I appreciate you!

17. Lisa B says:

So sorry that you have lost both your mama and Chox… praying for you. Praise God for the hope of heaven!

18. Jeannette says:

I am glad you and Alex are going on a trip together. It would be fun to read both of your stories about this trip. And then for fun, I want to hear how much fun it we to travel with a young-teenage boy.

19. The SEC baseball tournament…I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to help Florida beat Auburn last night/this morning.

So sorry to hear bout Chox. She was one of the “stars” of my favorite story you wrote about the trip to the fish camp! Thankful that altho we grieve, we don’t do so without hope.

20. Prayers for you and your family, Sophie. It’s beautiful how close your family is and reminds me of mine. We’re both so blessed to have grown up seeing and living smack dab in the middle of godly women and their influences they’ve had on us. Hugs to you…

21. Debbie Campbell says:

So sorry for your loss, but so thankful for the many memories that you will always have!!! Thankful to hear from you again!

22. Jeanie says:

My condolences on your loss, Sophie.

23. Rachael B says:

I am SO sorry to hear about Aunt Chox. You poor thing. What a year. Prayers for a peaceful summer vacay. Happy to hear from you!!!

24. Meredith says:

Hi Sophie,

I looked on Netflix for great designs and couldn’t find it. Could it be under a different title? Would love to watch it :-)

25. Katie Graham says:

My heart fell when I read about your Aunt Choxie. After reading your books, I felt like I knew her, even though..well…I didn’t. My most sincerest condolences to you and the family.
    Hugs to all y’all. xoxo

26. So sorry to hear of Choxie passing away. I’m rereading your book and I just finished the chapter about her and your Uncle Joe. I spent the week getting to know my inlaws on a trip to Branson. My inlaws are in their 80s and I’m so blessed by them. I shared several of your chapters with my mil as we drove our 10 hours back to their home today. I’ll be sending a copy of the book to her. Your stories of your Mama and Choxie are forever documented in your beautiful words. Praying for you all as you head on your next compassion journey. I look forward to reading all about it. Love my compassion kiddos!