Hey there, everybody (although “everybody” might be a generous term since I haven’t blogged in a while, so maybe a more accurate greeting would be “Hey there, person”) –
Well, it is Sunday night, and for the first Sunday in a lot of Sundays, I didn’t do any writing this afternoon. Instead I got home from church and Chuy’s and watched the Cowboys play. Then I watched the latest Mission Impossible movie (I believe it’s the 194th installment or something like that), and then I heated up a little supper, and then I caught up on Mississippi State’s women’s basketball team and their big win over Texas. For all of these reasons it has been an utterly delightful few hours. AND I have a whole week off of work in front of me. This holiday has totally snuck up on me for some reason, and it didn’t really hit me until this morning that I don’t have to set an alarm at all this next week. I for sure love the place where I work and the kids that I work with, but that no-alarm business for a whole week? THANKS BE TO GOD. I think everybody is ready for a break.
Yesterday my Bulldogs lost to the Arkansas Razorbacks in pretty spectacular fashion, but as I have said over and over this season, “AT LEAST THERE’S DAK.” My goodness it has been fun to watch him do so well. And after today’s game, when this clip went viral, all I could think was, WELL, I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD.
It may seem small but this video says a lot about Dak Prescott. pic.twitter.com/kzUNRKP5bb
— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) November 20, 2016
Isn’t that oddly refreshing? To watch an NFL quarterback pick up his own trash? HOME. TRAINING.
We don’t have any big plans for the week; we’re just going to try to cross a few things off the house to-do list and enjoy spending time with our family. My sister, sister-in-law, cousin, and I are dividing the cooking duties, and I can’t wait to get in the kitchen later this week and make some of our favorite dishes. I also need to get the house decorated for Christmas, and if you just read the first part of this sentence and are still awake, KUDOS TO YOU because my word this is a whole lot of boring.
Okay. Here are a few random things I wanted to mention.
1) I have been all about some Christmas music this year. ALL ABOUT IT. And it just so happens that this year has been a great one for new Christmas albums. There are three that I love with all my heart: Simply Christmas by Leslie Odom, Jr., The Thrill of Hope by Christy Nockels, and The Christmas Collection by Act of Congress. I know that I’ve mentioned a couple of those over and over on social media (including the last podcast), but y’all, they are beautiful.
2) There was a chapter in Giddy Up, Eunice where I talked about how we can overcomplicate what it means to take care of each other (I think the whole idea was that the Lord will provide in our gleaning, but we don’t have to get into all of that right now). Anyway, not too long after I finished writing Giddy Up, I read an advance copy of my friend Karen Ehman’s new book, Listen, Love, Repeat: Other-Centered Living in a Self-Centered World, and I thought, Oh my goodness – this is what it looks like to glean in our daily lives.
There is so much practical wisdom in this book, and if you have a heart for serving others in small ways but struggle with putting that into practice, then here is some recommended reading. It’s excellent.
3) I mentioned this on Instagram a couple of days ago, and I wanted to make sure to share it here.
A couple of months ago WaterBrook Multnomah sent me five of these Everything Beautiful coloring books because one of the illustrations is a quote from one of my books. Well, Tuesday morning I knew I was going to have lots of girls in my office, so I picked up the books on my way out the door and thought maybe a few of the girls might want to color. Y'all. They all wanted to color, and they loved these illustrations because they look like printables a teenager would want in her room. For the rest of the week, kids would stop by my office just to color or ask where I got the books. SO, if you need a gift or stocking stuffer for a teenage girl, look no further. Get this book, a fresh set of markers, and DONE. Happy happy! Link in profile.
Here’s the link if you’d like to check it out. It’s a winner.
4) Bruno Mars released a new album last week, and y’all? THIS SONG?
It is quite possibly the most fun musical moment of 2016.
5) A month or so ago I mentioned on Instagram that I’d bought the world’s most comfortable booties at Nordstrom Rack. Several people have emailed me asking for the link. Well, here they are.
I am such a fan of this cognac color that I went back to the store and bought them in black. They’re the kind of comfortable where I can wear them all day long and still love them just as much at the end of the day. The heel height is great, too, because you get a good little boost, but it’s still low enough that you feel stable and can walk really fast if fast-walking is called for.
All righty. I’m gonna go re-watch some Cowboys highlights and then read a little before I go to bed. Right now I’m reading Where’d You Go, Bernadette, and it is cute and quirky. I think the writing style and structure are really fun. And for some reason I love books where a house is almost a supporting character (that’s a big thing in Southern fiction, so maybe that’s why I’m drawn to it), and that’s definitely the case in this book.
Hope y’all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!